Timing on manicures and pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutfree3766

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my manicure and pedicure practical exams tomorrow (well today now!). My only worry is my timing. I have to do a basic manicure - file, cuticle work, polish in 30 minutes, a luxury in 60 minutes, a basic pedicure - soak, foot file, scrub, foot lotion, file, cuticle work, polish and a luxury pedicure in 60 minutes.

It is the manicures that i struggle on mainly, but sometimes the pedicures. My timing often goes way over.

I'm worried about failing because of my timing. I do try not to spend too long doing one thing, but doesn't always work.

Does anyone have any tips please? (last minute I know!)

Thanks in advance :)

You just have to really watch the time! How long do you need to paint? Industry standard is about 10mins. So work backwards - if I need 10 mins to paint how long for the other stuff? It works out at 3 mins a nail for the express mani.

Take a long hard look at the nails. Aim to get them all to the same standard - some will need more work than others so identify the 3 worst nails on each hand (often the thumb, index and middle finger) and make sure that you finish within the time you have allocated for each part of the mani.

Go for a shape that requires the least amount of filing to achieve a uniform result, depending on your client that may be straight, rounded or oval. Don't go over your time on the cuticles, do what you can, focus on three fingers per hand and move on.

Take a deep breath and put the base coat on quickly, stay away from the cuticle and keep it quite thin. Really concentrate on your posture and technique whilst you paint, it keeps you from stressing too much over the painting. Take the time to paint carefully without needing to correct. Resist the temptation to do more than 3 strokes on fingernails. Smile! It helps. Load your brush up with plenty of top coat and remember to hold the brush so that it points down on to the nail - that way the top coat will flow nicely and you'll just have to guide it into place.
A generous top coat hides lots of problems with colour application as long as the colour is still tacky - so don't take ages!
Good luck:)

Thank you that's a big help. Feeling better already :)

I passed :) thanks for your help and advice :)

Congratulations!! Well done x

Latest posts

Back