Timing!

Jaybeaut

I tend to take a really long time on nails resorting to limiting myself to 1 client a day a full set of gel extensions would take me about 2 hours if it goes smoothly..any hiccups then longer! Anyone else? I've been doing it for a while but I always overrun

2 hours perfectly normal for a newish person. Especially if you don't use and e-file.

I find prep can take as long as the tips and gel sometimes.

I average a full set in and out in 90 mins. But with clients with super small nail beds etc I can be longer.

I was the same too, you get quicker with practice and I must admit, the pressure of having another client forces you to really look at each stage and focus on getting things streamlined and quicker, and a practice hand really really helps!!!

I still leave a buffer of half an hour between clients and I run quite a relaxed set up and my clients love it so as long as they are happy don't worry too much!

Try timing each section, prep, tip application, acrylic/gel, finishing and then try to shave just a little off each time!

And lastly, good quality tools makes aaall the difference, I think I shaved half the prep time because I got the best cuticle pusher from navy tools (Ethel I think it's called), they are pricey but so so worth it!

Jaybeaut

Thankyou guys! I get chatting away and I'm such a perfectionist by the time I look at the time I'm like omg

Thankyou guys! I get chatting away and I'm such a perfectionist by the time I look at the time I'm like omg
I was going to say actually...friends & family - even to this day, I take waaaay longer with someone I know really well and they don't need to be anywhere after (if I'm really busy it's heads down though!!) Haha! If it is someone I know really well, they don't mind me saying that I might be a bit quiet, I tell them it's because I'm working on my speed and don't want to reduce any quality, they will totally understand & be great :)

Jaybeaut

I was going to say actually...friends & family - even to this day, I take waaaay longer with someone I know really well and they don't need to be anywhere after (if I'm really busy it's heads down though!!) Haha! If it is someone I know really well, they don't mind me saying that I might be a bit quiet, I tell them it's because I'm working on my speed and don't want to reduce any quality, they will totally understand & be great :)
Very true I will try this with tomorrows client gel pedi + gel mani that should be 1 hour & a half right? will let you know how long it takes me eek x

Very true I will try this with tomorrows client gel pedi + gel mani that should be 1 hour & a half right? will let you know how long it takes me eek x
Yes let us know!! I've got that exact same service Wednesday, on a really good friend of mine for her holidays and I've not seen her for ages...I have a home Salon too so it's very very relaxed! I've been doing nails for 10 years but I bet she will be here for 2 hours haha!! I'm fortunate though in the sense I don't need to be majorly busy as I work one day in an office but I actually prefer it and all my clients are so relaxed is wonderful!

Although I like to know that I can do it in Salon time when it's needed xx

I'd like to ask how long techs spend doing their own nails?

Oh my goodness I can spend hours!!! I try and invest a bit of time though because it's a good advertisement for clients if my nails are always looking nice! Usually I can do a whole fancy acrylic set with embellishments in about 3.5 hours on me but that's watching telly, with a cuppa and a toddler!! If I do it when the kids are asleep I can do it in about 2hrs normally xx

Just thought I'd let you know that my client was here for almost 3 hours haha for her Mani and pedi, Mani was a gel extension infill and she wanted fancy toes! Plus a good catch-up and a few cups of tea...how long did yours take? Xx

House Beauty

Just thought I'd let you know that my client was here for almost 3 hours haha for her Mani and pedi, Mani was a gel extension infill and she wanted fancy toes! Plus a good catch-up and a few cups of tea...how long did yours take? Xx
That’s pretty normal for me too. I have a lady that likes gel removal on nails and toes, redo, mani, pedi and brows. I can usually get it down to 3hrs but I’m knackered after and sometimes go over.

That’s pretty normal for me too. I have a lady that likes gel removal on nails and toes, redo, mani, pedi and brows. I can usually get it down to 3hrs but I’m knackered after and sometimes go over.
I'm glad it's not just me, I'm not mega rigid on timings unless I need to be! Although, I've started doing acrylic design sets on people and I kid you not it took me 2hrs just to remove the original acrylic design for a redesign...I used an extra course bit and I must admit the nails were thicker than normal because of all the glitter she wanted!!! Do you or anyone have any tips with de-bulking??

BobSweden

Managing Director
For a standard service try to get your times down to around 1.5 hours. The longer you take, the less £/per hour you make - unless you are making a complicated nail art design and charge the client by the actual time it takes.

After prep, try avoiding conversation and focus on your work. Break a service down into stages and work to improve your speed one stage at a time. If you don't use an e-file, take a class.

With 2 kids? 2 days (not continuously lol just when I get a quiet minute to my self!)

With 2 kids? 2 days (not continuously lol just when I get a quiet minute to my self!)

Haha it took 2 hours even squeezed in an eyelash tint too!! I was on a roll!! But today I had a client for gel extensions & pedi and it took me an eye watering 4 hours ‍♀️‍♀️ FOUR! 1234! to be fair we studied together so had loads of catching up to & had to file off her acrylics which she forgot to mention lol xx