Timing!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
Hello so I’m training in level 2 beauty therapy, have been on and off since 2018 but I went on maternity leave for a year and COVID has delayed my training. Anyways, I’m finding it hard to get the “perfect” finish as I’m thinking about timing in my head. My manager gives us 30 mins for gels, 30 mins for a manicure, 30 mins for a pedicure and 1 hour for acrylics. I find that to get perfect gels, a manicure and pedicure with gel I take around 45. For acrylics, I’m not the best as newly qualified but to get them as good as I can it takes me up to 3 hours!!!! When I know my manager is in, I try and rush to get my treatment done in time but then the outcome isn’t the same. She said today that I need to perfect my treatments but I said I feel like I rush as the timing is in my head but she said I need to be quicker with prepping, she’s lovely and gives good constructive criticism but I feel like if I carry on like this nothing will be “perfect” 😢 has anyone got any tips??? It’s an online booking system too so if someone books straight after it’s not like I can take longer

Just to comment I allocate the following timings to treatments:-

1 hour for a luxurious pedicure , with scrub, massage and polish application.

1 hour for beautifully applied gels. No bad comments about scruffy ,rushed finish.

45 mins for a luxury manicure with polish.

Acrylics are something I don't do, but maybe another geek may jump onto the thread.

Honestly, it seems that you are being forced to provide a rushed service, I am surprised your boss isn't moaning about how imperfect you say your work is. Your boss is expecting you to be fast and quite simply seems to come at the expense of poor work. Counter productive in my mind....she can't be that nice otherwise you could approach her and actually come to a solution.
Do the other techs struggle or is it just you?

Best of luck

Just to comment I allocate the following timings to treatments:-

1 hour for a luxurious pedicure , with scrub, massage and polish application.

1 hour for beautifully applied gels. No bad comments about scruffy ,rushed finish.

45 mins for a luxury manicure with polish.

Acrylics are something I don't do, but maybe another geek may jump onto the thread.

Honestly, it seems that you are being forced to provide a rushed service, I am surprised your boss isn't moaning about how imperfect you say your work is. Your boss is expecting you to be fast and quite simply seems to come at the expense of poor work. Counter productive in my mind....she can't be that nice otherwise you could approach her and actually come to a solution.
Do the other techs struggle or is it just you?

Best of luck

Hey I was hoping that she would give me more time when I mentioned about having the timing in my head but she didn’t she just said I needed to be quicker at prepping....
They struggle a bit on certain treatments but not with waxing ( I don’t do waxing) x

Just a suggestion, could one of the other techs run through their service if they can keep to time? If not practise like mad at home and see if that helps you to speed up.

Just a suggestion, could one of the other techs run through their service if they can keep to time? If not practise like mad at home and see if that helps you to speed up.
The other girl does go over on time with gels

A basic set of fully sculpted acrylic extensions with a single colour gel finish takes me about 1hr15mins, I spend at least 20mins on prep alone. If my client is having art depending on the intricacy of it, it can take me an extra 10 to 45 mins. I think your boss is being unrealistic with regards to timing if they want you to achieve a quality finish and sets that last - I've been doing nails back to back for 10 years now except for during lockdown.

When I started in the 70’s 2.0 hrs for new set of acrylic (tons of filing involved) 1.5 hrs for fill (again tons of filing needed).

After softer acrylics came to market in the 80s I needed 1.5 hours for new set and one hour for fill. All with polish.

In the 90’s I realized I was just too relaxed and talking my head off during services, so I booked (and do to this day) everything an hour. If it takes less time, I clean or take a break. Usually that’s manicures.

The last 25 years are back to back appts.

Your speed isn’t the problem IMO, it’s your technique. I’ve trained many in the system my mentor used with me. You Will benefit from helpful instruction from your trainer or another qualified technician.

Don’t give up.

Last edited:
she just said I needed to be quicker at prepping....
I find that once you have moved on to the next nail in prep, don’t look back.
it’s tempting to want to see if something is still needing work.
Be satisfied with what you have done and go to the next.

Latest posts

Back