Timings breakdown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle0904

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have done quite a few sets now as a newbie and I am feeling confident with my application now enough to try and focus on reducing my timings, mainly because an opportunity has come up where I can visit my friends work place every 3-4 weeks as the ladies want to become regulars :biggrin:

however this has to be taken as their lunch hour which is fine for application only but as they will be regulars they will need removal which is taking me between 20-30 mins and reapplication 50 mins to an hour

so my question is what are your timings for

prep
paint
removal

and anything I might of missed ??

this will help me to set a goal to work towards and maybe see which areas I am spending too much time on

thanks x

Hi lovely. What are you asking for timings on? Is this shellac??

Nicola! Xxx

That's what I was going to ask nicola!

sorry girlies , silly me :rolleyes:

its gelish application xx

Oh sorry. I've no idea with gellish. I use shellac xx

Nicola! Xxx

Time each step at home on a guinea pig.

Prep
Paint
Removal
Reapplication

When you're reapplying, you only need to concentrate on shine removal on the new growth. And you can start off with pushing the cuticles back before soaking off. That might help with the prep time, leaving more time for painting.

I already know my own timings hun its others geeks timings im after as something to work towards

thanks anyway :)

It will be hard to tell you that though as there will be some people who do nails all day every day and have done for years so can get a set done in no time. Some people might just dabble in nails but take equally the same amount of time.
I wouldn't stress too much on other people's timings. As if I said it takes me 20 minutes to do nails, but you take an hour you might panic and try speeding up and do a half hearted job. (Please don't think I am saying you will)
But if you take an hour or over... Who cares! At the end of them can you say you have done your absolute best? If you can then that's what is important!!! :)
Over time you will get quicker. Just take your time for now x

Nicola! Xxx

I'm not a Gelish geek but I've removed a lot of it and I've used both Shellac and Bio Sculpture which I think are very similar products (Gelish probably sits in the middle of them).

For a Bio removal (which is closest to Gelish) I would get the client wrapped the second they sit down using magi wraps as I find these quicker. Buff and wrap, buff and wrap to the last one. I would then give it 10 minutes while they choose colours etc and start upwrapping the first. Removing all product should take no more than 10 minutes after the waiting time and I tend to so cuticle work dry on each one as I go along so once that removal process is finished you only need to file and cleanse the nail plate. Total time 20-25 minutes.

Reapplication, I'm assuming that all coats are a 2 minute cure and you need base, 2 x colour, 1 top in which case if you're working with one lamp, you want to get it down so painting each hand takes no longer than 2 minutes for each coat so there's no waiting time. Should be around 16 minutes for actual application for a plain 2 coat colour but you can double that and still give yourself some breathing room for indecisiveness, nail art, those tricky ones who won't sit still for a french etc.

Trick is to not be overly critical of yourself as you go (no faffing!) and talk to the hand. You'll get there but don't stress it I think my first set of Bio took me about 3 hours! x

You want to be aiming for 45mins approx for prep and application, realistically you won't be able to remove and re-apply in their lunch hour, it's not worth putting yourself under that pressure

I understand. You want to fit the ladies into their lunch break.
I can do Gelish application in 45 mins and it's not my full time job.
Think if anything could derail you it would be the removal as Gelish can be longer than ideal.
Could you get them to remove prior?

I'm not a Gelish geek but I've removed a lot of it and I've used both Shellac and Bio Sculpture which I think are very similar products (Gelish probably sits in the middle of them).

For a Bio removal (which is closest to Gelish) I would get the client wrapped the second they sit down using magi wraps as I find these quicker. Buff and wrap, buff and wrap to the last one. I would then give it 10 minutes while they choose colours etc and start upwrapping the first. Removing all product should take no more than 10 minutes after the waiting time and I tend to so cuticle work dry on each one as I go along so once that removal process is finished you only need to file and cleanse the nail plate. Total time 20-25 minutes.

Reapplication, I'm assuming that all coats are a 2 minute cure and you need base, 2 x colour, 1 top in which case if you're working with one lamp, you want to get it down so painting each hand takes no longer than 2 minutes for each coat so there's no waiting time. Should be around 16 minutes for actual application for a plain 2 coat colour but you can double that and still give yourself some breathing room for indecisiveness, nail art, those tricky ones who won't sit still for a french etc.

Trick is to not be overly critical of yourself as you go (no faffing!) and talk to the hand. You'll get there but don't stress it I think my first set of Bio took me about 3 hours! x

thanks so much hun for your detailed reply, it really helps x

I understand. You want to fit the ladies into their lunch break.
I can do Gelish application in 45 mins and it's not my full time job.
Think if anything could derail you it would be the removal as Gelish can be longer than ideal.
Could you get them to remove prior?

this is what I thought, as its defo the removal that takes it over the hour, I was thinking I could do a removal once for them explaining and educating them how to do it and even put a little removal kit together for them, do you think this would be ok?

Personally, I'd avoid that if you can at all. As a client, it would put me off and you are much more likely to get them picking them off followed by the inevitable 'xyz ruined my nails'.

Do you have a group of girl friends that would spare you 2 evenings/ saturday afternoons? You could do say 4-5 sets to get your times up (you can take lots of pictures of them after to use for promotion) then a week or two later, remove them all in one sitting. Would be great practice for you.

I could try something like that

I think it is my painting that is taking the time to be honest as in a normal application my prep only takes 10-15 mins so im spending almost 30-45 mins just painting trying to get that cuticle line as neat and crisp as possible and some ladies cuticle areas are in a very poor state making painting very tricky

most of the ladies I have done have frayed dry/hard skin around the nail and I find painting hard as if I catch it slightly the staining just wont budge, I do explain to them it will lift after 24hrs but still hate leaving them with less than perfect application

Have you seen Gigi's advice on polishing? It's under the articles section. It sounds like you just need to work on how you're balancing your hands and holding theirs. Once your steadier you won't touch the skin at all x

I did see that tutorial and it helped, suppose it doesn't help that I haven't got a steady client base , I have done 12 clients this week but only 1 the previous and none the week before and only 2 next week so its not steady at all to get that momentum going

I might ask for a bit of guidance from my educator when I do my one 2 one advanced sculpting in January

I did see that tutorial and it helped, suppose it doesn't help that I haven't got a steady client base , I have done 12 clients this week but only 1 the previous and none the week before and only 2 next week so its not steady at all to get that momentum going

I might ask for a bit of guidance from my educator when I do my one 2 one advanced sculpting in January

Ooooh who you doing that course with?

Crystal nails hun, I was so impressed with the 2 art courses i did, I decided to go with them, I adore looking at all the nails done by CN educators AMAZING!!! Hope I can get to that level one day :)

With removal, polish and unlimited design I book 1 hr 15 mins.

Without removal I complete in about 35-45 mins.

Latest posts

Back