Tingling in fingers - what is it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I'm posting this in the hope that someone may be able to shed some light. At the moment it seems too small an issue to trouble doc with.

On and off for a couple of years I have noticed this sort of uncomfortable tingle in one or two fingers. The only way I can describe it is that it is right down the middle of the fingers, as if in the bone itself. Sometimes I get the sensation down the side of my hand. I get it for seconds/sometimes minutes then it goes, and I forget about it for weeks/months till I get it again.

Is it the start of something like rheumatism or arthritis? (I'm 41 and my mum did start rheumatism in her forties).

Or do you think it is to do with the fact that I use my hands to work?

Any clues/ideas/tips/info would be very welcome, thanks peeps :hug:

cant help you chick, but no matter how small a problem you think it may be its obviously bothering you and so you have every right to see the doctor. x

It could be bad circulation I sometimes get this, not exactly sure what starts it, like you I have never been to the doc's with it either, it just comes and goes but others have said it is poss circulation.

it depends which fingers and which side of your hand it is hun, best to get it checked out as it might be something, it might not be and adjusting your posutre at work may improve it.

I get this when my hands are in the same position for too long, it always seems to be my left hand (undominant).
It happens when I'm working on clients and holding their fingers etc with the same position, it goes all numb and pins and needles, tingling sensation. The same thing happens when I'm driving and my hand is in the same position for too long.

Try stretching your fingers every few minutes and see if it helps, if it doesn't then have a word with your doctor.

i also get this when my fingers are doing the same repetative thing, just stop, bend your fingers about then resume flower, this will probs lead to us all being finger mishaped in the future, but for now bend those fingers - ive tiried to answer this in a humourous way, but i know the pain you are probs going thro

:lol:

I am currently camped out on the surgeons couch for this and have been for the past 2 years... have become quite the expert in my own problem with my hand and arm.....

Outside fingers... Pinky and ring finger.. tingling numb senstation... Compressed or pinched ULNA nerve

Middle finger to thumb, same sensation (tingling or numb) Compressed carpel tunnel nerves

the first (Ulna nerve compression/inflammation) is normally caused by sleeping with your arms all bent up rather than straight - and can be simply solved by wrapping a towel around your elbow to keep your arm straight.

CTS (carpel tunnel syndrome) requires medical assistance mostly.. well both do if they are not just an intermittent problem.

I get numbness too. I think it's good to check with the dr. but for me it was caused by a nerve being pinched. It went away when I had regular adjustments by the chiropractor. I also would wake up with numb hands and they always went numb when I had my nails done. hth. alex

Sounds like Carpel Tunnel syndrome. I had an op on mine. Although they're naff, wearing a splint during the night works. You should get it checked though. ccc

Outside fingers... Pinky and ring finger.. tingling numb senstation... Compressed or pinched ULNA nerve

Middle finger to thumb, same sensation (tingling or numb) Compressed carpel tunnel nerves

the first (Ulna nerve compression/inflammation) is normally caused by sleeping with your arms all bent up rather than straight - and can be simply solved by wrapping a towel around your elbow to keep your arm straight.
Arms bent? Yup, this is what I was thinking as I started reading this thread. I get it whether I'm sleeping or not though.

If my arms are bent in any one position for too long (especially dominant arm), I experience this, for example, when I have been holding the phone to my ear for a while.

My first thought was to advise that you see your doctor, tingleing in the fingers can be the first sign of some pretty serious conditions, but after seeing all the other posts from geeks with similar complaints it certainly sounds like it is more likelyto be a hazard of the job. All the same if it were me, I think I would be getting it checked out just for peace of mind.

Carpal tunnel..or... a few vertebra's out in your neck and upper back area.
I do nails and hair and I get it all the time but don't have carpal tunnel.

Get to the doctor before it is too late and you have no choice but to have surgery.

Thank you so much to all who replied . . .

It doesn't happen often enough for it to be a huge concern . . .

but next time I'm at the doctors I think I'll mention it. Thanks again :hug:

if your particularly getting the tingling in those fingers controlled by the Ulna nerve (the ring and pinky finger and that side of the palm) if its just intermittent you will probably find you are leaning on your elbow to much and causing the nerve to get slightly impinged, which irritates it and causes it to inflame leading to tingling for a while after you've been leaning on the elbow.. if you cant break the habit of leaning on your elbow then pop a rolled up towel or dense bit of foam on the table for your elbow to lean on, your less likely to upset the ulna nerve this way :)

if your particularly getting the tingling in those fingers controlled by the Ulna nerve (the ring and pinky finger and that side of the palm) if its just intermittent you will probably find you are leaning on your elbow to much and causing the nerve to get slightly impinged, which irritates it and causes it to inflame leading to tingling for a while after you've been leaning on the elbow.. if you cant break the habit of leaning on your elbow then pop a rolled up towel or dense bit of foam on the table for your elbow to lean on, your less likely to upset the ulna nerve this way :)

Thanks so much :hug:

It is sometimes these fingers but other areas also. Think I'm just becoming an old croc.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back