Tint did not take on sun bleached hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kourea

Reaction score
Hello.
I am a trainee colourist and I have been practicing on my mum. Normally I do a global colour using Majirel Rouge on her. She is 66 and has some grey, but this always covers really successfully. This time she had a lot of lightening in her hair from the sun - it almost looked like someone had put white highlight tips on the ends of her hair on her crown. Anyway, I proceeded to complete the colour today and you can still see some of the tips. The roots took as normal (lifted from her natural dark base which has a little grey but not much) and there are no issues there - it is the colouring over the sun bleached parts that did not seem to take.

My instructor is not back until end of September so I can't ask them. Can anyone explain why this happened and how I might rectify issues such as this in the future? It was left for the time that I always leave it for to develop as per the manufacturer instructions and mixed with 30vol as per manufacturer instructions and guidance from my instructor knowing my mum's hair.

Many thanks.

Using the 30vol and the permanent tint over lighter hair will inevitably leave you with a lighter result not darker. 30vol will lift the hair. What level tint did you put on?

Hello. It was Majicontrast Rouge by L'Oreal. My instructor told me to use 30vol because she needs the lift for her regrowth/natural hair to take the colour, and that was fine. It is the sun bleached parts that are the issue.
Luckily she likes it but it doesn't help me to understand why it happened and how to rectify it if it were to happen with another client in the future. I am not able to contact my instructor as they're currently on holiday to ask their advice and input.

Hello. It was Majicontrast Rouge by L'Oreal. My instructor told me to use 30vol because she needs the lift for her regrowth/natural hair to take the colour, and that was fine. It is the sun bleached parts that are the issue.
Luckily she likes it but it doesn't help me to understand why it happened and how to rectify it if it were to happen with another client in the future. I am not able to contact my instructor as they're currently on holiday to ask their advice and input.
If you applied 30vol with a permanent tint to a level 10 hair it would be light, because 30vol lifts not deposits. So technically what you put on the roots was correct, but you can't use the same strength on hair that's already lighter. You needed to use a lower developer so it deposits colour only - without the lift ( only for the sun bleached ends)

Ah! That makes perfect sense. So would you suggest mixing two tint bowls, one for the roots and one for the lightened parts? Thank you for taking the time to explain, this is super helpful!

Ah! That makes perfect sense. So would you suggest mixing two tint bowls, one for the roots and one for the lightened parts? Thank you for taking the time to explain, this is super helpful!
Exactly what I would do :p
I wouldn't use anything higher than 3% to deposit colour to the ends :)

When colouring, start by examining the existing head so look at the roots, mid lengths and ends separately. The roots will be virgin natural with possibly some grey, your mids could be faded permanent colour and your ends or tips could be a depth or more lighter than the mid length hair.

Therefore, you could need up to 3 different formulas on a global colour to ensure a uniform result.

This is basic colouring info. so I’m disappointed that your tutor hasn’t already explained this to you. :(

What shade of majirouge did you use?
mid use the new 12.5vol on L + E.
What level were her ends?
Sometimes if it’s too light, you need to pre colour it using chromative. Just a little then wipe it off excess, then dry it in and proceed with your application as normal

Latest posts

Back