Tinting the odd grey eyebrow?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen Smith

theHOTWAXroom
Reaction score
I have a client who is coming in for her infills on Tuesday and asked me over the phone if I could tint her eyebrows as she has one or two grey hairs. I did noticed the last time she was in having her enhancements done that her eyebrows had been plucked very thinly and she didn’t have a lot of eyebrow to work on. She says she has one or two grey hairs that she wants tinting and could I do this for her. She said she had had them done in the past but to ill effect as her brows were tinted far too dark - almost black.

I think the previous treatment must have been left on too long to allow for the grey hairs to process. I paint on and constantly wipe off until I get the desired colour with brows.

Now if she has only a couple of grey brow hairs would it be better to pluck or trim these hairs (baring in mind she has hardly any natural brows to start with) or is it possible just to tint the grey hairs by carefully applying the tint to just the grey hair?

Have any of you other beauty geeks come across this problem and if so what advise would you suggest please?

I have a client who is coming in for her infills on Tuesday and asked me over the phone if I could tint her eyebrows as she has one or two grey hairs. I did noticed the last time she was in having her enhancements done that her eyebrows had been plucked very thinly and she didn’t have a lot of eyebrow to work on. She says she has one or two grey hairs that she wants tinting and could I do this for her. She said she had had them done in the past but to ill effect as her brows were tinted far too dark - almost black.

I think the previous treatment must have been left on too long to allow for the grey hairs to process. I paint on and constantly wipe off until I get the desired colour with brows.

Now if she has only a couple of grey brow hairs would it be better to pluck or trim these hairs (baring in mind she has hardly any natural brows to start with) or is it possible just to tint the grey hairs by carefully applying the tint to just the grey hair?

Have any of you other beauty geeks come across this problem and if so what advise would you suggest please?
Well Jen,funny you mention this,as only last night i tinted and shaped my dads eye brows:eek::lol:

He had some grey brows and i used brown on him...i left it on for about 3 mins:eek:

When i wiped the tint off....well lets say he certainly got distinctive brows:eek::lol:

He was pleased...thank god....but if i left them any longer they would have been jet black:eek:

The grey did take but i would not leave it on too long,after all my dad is one thing....but a paying client:!::rolleyes:

Im sorry i cant be any help,but maybe you just have to watch the time and wipe away as you go

Well Jen,funny you mention this,as only last night i tinted and shaped my dads eye brows:eek::lol:

He had some grey brows and i used brown on him...i left it on for about 3 mins:eek:

When i wiped the tint off....well lets say he certainly got distinctive brows:eek::lol:

He was pleased...thank god....but if i left them any longer they would have been jet black:eek:

The grey did take but i would not leave it on too long,after all my dad is one thing....but a paying client:!::rolleyes:

Im sorry i cant be any help,but maybe you just have to watch the time and wipe away as you go

Thanks Gabrielle, what concerns me is that I thought grey hairs are more resistant to the processing time and therefore should I just try and tint the actual grey hairs and not touch the surrounding hairs? Whoever tinted them for her before let them go far too dark and I don't want to repeat that. Normally on brows I mix a little grey tint with brown so that the brown isnt too 'red' looking. :hug:

I would try and just put the tint on the grey hairs and leave them for a couple of minutes and wipe off.
If the colour hasn't taken then apply again for another few minutes.
Once they have coloured then i would go over the whole brow with tint but do it almost straight on straight off then you should get a nice gloss and colour to the whole of the brows that looks natural.
Good luck.

I have done a clients brows that were all grey and it took almost 10 Min's for them all to fully cover with the colour,
i used brown and it hasn't come out too dark it looks very nice but if you were to do this on the whole of your clients brows you are right they would be dark and dreadful,
not sure how you would isolate the separate greys for colouring

Thanks Gabrielle, what concerns me is that I thought grey hairs are more resistant to the processing time and therefore should I just try and tint the actual grey hairs and not touch the surrounding hairs? Whoever tinted them for her before let them go far too dark and I don't want to repeat that. Normally on brows I mix a little grey tint with brown so that the brown isnt too 'red' looking. :hug:

I'd try and do just the grey hairs. Yes, they do take longer to take up the tint. If you want to avoid the rest of the brow, maybe put some vaseline on it to protect it? Otherwise you will end up with the brows being too dark.

I get the odd grey eyebrow hair, they're almost see through!!! I pluck them out for ease rather than get the whole lot tinted.

ღMandyღ;613781 said:
I would try and just put the tint on the grey hairs and leave them for a couple of minutes and wipe off.
If the colour hasn't taken then apply again for another few minutes.
Once they have coloured then i would go over the whole brow with tint but do it almost straight on straight off then you should get a nice gloss and colour to the whole of the brows that looks natural.
Good luck.

Thanks everyone.... I will give it a go like Mandy as suggested to start with and see how I go :)

I this doesnt work I will be plucking out the greys as Sandi suggests lol!!

I quite often tint the grey/white hairs seperatly, it's not as tricky as it sounds because the grey hairs are usually a lot thicker and longer than the rest of the brow so isolating it is quite simple, like the others have said it will take a while longer to develop.
xx:hug:xx

i have found from experiance that grey brows do take a longtime to take the tint so either just try and do the grey as the other hairs will end up very dark but plucking them out if they are very few and far between may be a good idea XXX

I use a dye called Thuya from Ellisons which comes in a light brown and it is fantastic. It has good coverage,lasts longer than all others I have tried and gives a good gloss.
It is a cream colour when first mixed and applied but this is good because you can physically see the colour starting to develop.
After removing I then usually dott in the more stubborn grey hairs and leave those longer!!!:irked:
Whats more...
You can bet your bottom dollar that her brows are thin as she has been pulling them out for ages and the folicles are starting to give up!!!:lol:
If you were to pull out the grey hairs then gradually the more the client comes the thinner they will get...
And what you dont want is her then turning round saying that they used to be ok before!

I quite often tint the grey/white hairs seperatly, it's not as tricky as it sounds because the grey hairs are usually a lot thicker and longer than the rest of the brow so isolating it is quite simple, like the others have said it will take a while longer to develop.
xx:hug:xx
I do the same,sometimes though if there are only a couple of hairs that are grey it's worth tweezering them out,but only if there are a couple,we dont want bald patches:green:

Try trimming the grey hair if they are excessively long,I usually add a little black with brown tint as this helps give less 'ginger'tone to the white hair.HTH

Latest posts

Back