Tiny scratches on finished surface

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

Reaction score
I am in general having problems with my final buffing stage!! Any help from you geeks would be appreciated.:)

The top of my finished nail is covered in tiny tiny little scratches which usually ends up in me rushing like a maddy to get them out, but I can never get rid of all of them. The final buffing stage is now really annoying me!! How do these happen?
I am thinking its an oil and dust problem but I really am not sure.
What I mean is that during the buffing stage I find that even after scrubfresh there is still oil around (on my hands, or the clients) and I think I'm picking up this oil and some dust on to my 3 way buffer and this is what is causing my scratches. Anyone else have this problem? and if so what did you do about it?
I tried dropping the oil buffing stage but I found that made the final buff much harder work:irked:

????

Are you sure you're refining enough before buffing? If the surface hasn't had all the scratches taken out of it before you go in with your 3 way buffer, they're still going to be there.....do a bit more work with the 240 side of your Koala if that's what you're using, before you oil buff and finish with the 3 way buffer. HTH

Are you sure you're refining enough before buffing? If the surface hasn't had all the scratches taken out of it before you go in with your 3 way buffer, they're still going to be there.....do a bit more work with the 240 side of your Koala if that's what you're using, before you oil buff and finish with the 3 way buffer. HTH

My thoughts exactly.

Grab your self a gold block or a snow block hun, after shaping I just go over the enhancement with one of these, then straight into buffing the oil in with the 1200.. and then on to a glosser or Gf

Grab your self a gold block or a snow block hun, after shaping I just go over the enhancement with one of these, then straight into buffing the oil in with the 1200.. and then on to a glosser or Gf
Never heard of a snow block or gold block what are these? Do you mean the white blocks? IMO they are ugly, unhygenic and way too sharp.

I am in general having problems with my final buffing stage!! Any help from you geeks would be appreciated.:)

The top of my finished nail is covered in tiny tiny little scratches which usually ends up in me rushing like a maddy to get them out, but I can never get rid of all of them. The final buffing stage is now really annoying me!! How do these happen?
I am thinking its an oil and dust problem but I really am not sure.
What I mean is that during the buffing stage I find that even after scrubfresh there is still oil around (on my hands, or the clients) and I think I'm picking up this oil and some dust on to my 3 way buffer and this is what is causing my scratches. Anyone else have this problem? and if so what did you do about it?
I tried dropping the oil buffing stage but I found that made the final buff much harder work:irked:

????

What grit abrasive are you using when doing your finishing? I tend only to use a 240 grit on the nail surface any way...as using even a 180 leaves surface scratches which would need to be removed with a 240....therefore doubling the work. :irked:

If you do think there is oil getting on to your 3 way buffer....then after the Oil and buff stage wipe the nail with Scrubfresh and then wipe the Scrubfresh down the grey side of your buffer. This will make sure there is no oil, and it gives a new lease of life to your buffer.

Although I can see from another thread you are thinking of missing out the oil & buff altogether and going for the gel topcoat option!!!

Will that really appease the perfectionist in you ?;)...... it is an option though and will cut down your service time. You should also charge slghtly more for this service.

You can also try using your 180 file (Hot Shot), then a 240 file (Koala or Outblack), then use your Solar Oil with your Boomerang buffer (helps a lot in eliminating any scratches you may have left), and then go on to your Girlfriend for finishing.
HTH.

Maybe you could try applying less solaroil before you buff as you only need the tiniest bit and then go crazy with it once you've got them like glass. Or dare I say it, go down the UV Top Coat route and save yourself time?

Thanks everyone, thats a great help and has defo got me thinking!!

I probably dont use my 240 grit enough - I'm more likely to use a lower grit to get the job done quicker.........but I guess I am actually adding more time to my service in the long run!
Now that it has been mentioned I have realised I am also seriously guilty of using far too much solar oil - I will absolutely cut that down.

Thanks geeks:hug:

ps. Yes Isabel still looking into the gel topcoat.........sounds like a time saver to me but I'm still trying to find out what the downside is.........there's got to be one surely?:eek:

ps. Yes Isabel still looking into the gel topcoat.........sounds like a time saver to me but I'm still trying to find out what the downside is.........there's got to be one surely?:eek:
The only thing I don't like about it is filing it off for rebalance! Just me but I don't like it lol!

The only thing I don't like about it is filing it off for rebalance! Just me but I don't like it lol!

Thanks Cathie - do you mean it takes longer to do a re-balance because of the extra filing? I never even thought about this!

Thanks Cathie - do you mean it takes longer to do a re-balance because of the extra filing? I never even thought about this!
Only slightly, I just don't like filing it....I don't really know why either because it's not as if it's a thick layer, I think it's just one of those things I don't like (wierdo!)....try it for yourself and see what you think....I've never encountered any problems when using it over l/p though.

Thanks Cathie.
Do you know if a UV topcoat can be used over polish?

Thanks Cathie.
Do you know if a UV topcoat can be used over polish?
There have been various debates about this and whether gel top coats work over polish but as a general rule, manufacturers say that gel top coats shouldn't be used over polish.....having said that there are various UV cured top coats designed for use over polish.

Latest posts

Back