Tip Blending Nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol at CottageNails

Reaction score
:( Could anybody out there please help me. I am new to the nail indusry and completed my four day foundation course in July, I am working from home, and am slowly building up a good clientel, but if only I could work faster with my tip blending, its a nightmare. I have spoken to other nail techs while shopping at Creatives One Stop Nail Shop and I am so confused with the conflicting advise, but I am grateful for the advise, some say only offer French Radical (no blending) but I find I have too much white on the nail, then theres "use this file or that file. Please help I am blending my own finger tips to the bone trying to get it right. All suggestions will be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED.

carol (West Yorkshire)

hiya carol
if you click onto tutorials at the side of the page, you will find loads of excellent info. on all sorts of techniques. :D
have you done your "next step" class yet?
if not get booked in asap, you will be given the opportunity to go over this problem.
failing this, book a 1-1 with your creative educator.
happy training :D
let us know how you get on
lol liza xx

:Thankyou ever so much liza, im on my way to the tutorial pages and will keep you posted as to waht I do next and how things are going. Thanks a million.

Carol

Well love :D I think you could do with one to one class with Creative... 8) .....
They are brill.... :!: .............use it as a troubleshooting class :idea: .........and then move on and do your master classes........
This would help you a lot I feel.... :p .......

When using the french radical tips you can try pre-blending, this will take out the contact area, so shape the natural nail to mirror the pre-blended tip, then butt it on to the nail, this will reduce your white area....As the strength of the enhancement is in the product not the tip very little contact area is needed .... now this will look fine if the nail plate is a little shorter the usual, but you still want the 2/3 pink and 1/3 white look.......... I hope this makes sense........

As for the other tips, as long as the nail plate is not bitten or to short, pre-blending is fine..........sometimes thought you will need a full well area........short bitten nails aso........

As for files,I prep the nail with a Koala, I blend when I must with a 180 file, on pre-blended tips the Koala does it for me, .................
If your product application is nice and smooth you will only need a 180 or higher grit to finish of the nail............I shape and file the nail with the 180 and use the girlfriend buffer for shine for shine......

Hope this helps
love Ruth xxxxxxx

You just have to find the right File Combo for you, everybody has their own favorites for doing the job at hand so to speak.............

In my experience of teaching thousands of students I find the trouble usually is down to 2 things.

1. Not holding the abrasive in the best way to get maximum pressure to the area you are blending or ..
2. Using too soft an abrasive because you are frightened of damaging the natural nail.

Most technicians hold the abrasive at one end which is not the most effective way when blending tips.
First of all the most pressure is under the thumb whilst filing and the thumb is nowhere near the area you want to thin out.
Secondly, this grip causes the abrasive to bend in the middle which causes a crease which is very irritating.
Thirdly, air is trapped between the board and the nail plate and can cause friction burns.

Now this isn't easy to explain in words but ... try changing your grip so that the top of your hand is on top of the abrasive and your index finger is the one applying the pressure to the part of the board where you want it ... sort of like shaking hands with the board!! NOW the pressure is where you need it to be and you will work 10 times faster. You will only need to work half as hard to get to the same place.

Use a 180 grit abrasive and don't be frightened because you will have much more control when holding the board this way. It feels really strange at first but persevere and you will wonder how you did it any other way.

For more delicate jobs you can change the grip to suit the task you are doing. Filing is boring and you really want to get it over and done with asap so try something new and see how quick you can be.

Geeg wrote:
Now this isn't easy to explain in words but ... try changing your grip so that the top of your hand is on top of the abrasive and your index finger is the one applying the pressure to the part of the board where you want it ... sort of like shaking hands with the board!! NOW the pressure is where you need it to be and you will work 10 times faster. You will only need to work half as hard to get to the same place.

No thats a great way to explain it, shake hands with your file, get introduced and become firm friends, now the pressure is in the right place, on your file and not on you to get the job done !!!!!! .................

Well explained, and easy to picture..................
Nice one Geeg

love Ruth xxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back