tip cutters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novo

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have been using a set of tip cutters for five months and now when I cut tips to size they (tip) look white as if they are about to crack down (hope this makes sense) so i have to file down shorter to get rid of this (like stress marks). Do cutters go blunt, if so how to sharpen them, and how long should they last (how longs a ball of string? Ihave a small client load).
many thanks
pam x

most wholesalers sell replacement blades and springs !
don't know how much they are though!!

novo said:
Hi folks, I have been using a set of tip cutters for five months and now when I cut tips to size they (tip) look white as if they are about to crack down (hope this makes sense) so i have to file down shorter to get rid of this (like stress marks). Do cutters go blunt, if so how to sharpen them, and how long should they last (how longs a ball of string? Ihave a small client load).
many thanks
pam x

Hi Pam, I've had my tip cutters over a year now and they are going strong! I tend once in a while to make sure the blade is still straight and if not I unscrew it and straighten it. Are your cutters on the 'tight' side as that can sometimes cause the white stress marks along with not holding onto the other side of the tip as you cut, also are you cutting in one swift movement as lingering on the tip can cause the same thing. J x

I wonder if you`re using them at the correct angle......Have you taken a step back to have a look at what the problem is???
Its worth a try.

I have been using the same pair of Mehaz tip cutters for 18 month now and have never changed the spring or the blade. They are fantastic. They are the ones that come with the cutting guides (which I never use) and the angled blade. They are FAB.

I have to say i have only had my tip cutters for about 9 months and they seem to be getting blunt too, so perhaps it depends on where you buy them from.

I will look at how i use mine, but feel i use them okay. I might find out how much new blades are.

My mehaz are still going strong. I got them in 1991 and have replaced the blade twice. If you aren't at the right cutting angle, any cutter you use will cause stress fractures. Here is how I explain it to my first time students.. Have your client rest their elbow on the table and drop their hand. (so if they were the pope, you could kiss their ring) Slide the cutter over the tip so that your fingers rest in the palm of their hand (you should be able to see where the blade will cut, so you can adjust to the desired length) then make sure to sqeeze gently and swiftly with your thumb. The tip will drop directly to the table...not flip and hit the client in the eye or go down your blouse:o and you are able to see the length each time so that you can get you enhancement about the same length. This technique seems to work quite well, even for first timers, and they are able to get the tips about the same length with out stress fractures or injury to them or their models.

I've been using mine since 1998 :lol: have never replaced the blade or spring!

Try squeezing your tip cutters in mid air (as if practising on a ghost client). Does the cutter remain in a static place, or does it move backwards and forwards. If it moves then you are putting pressure and stress on the tip which is causing the whiteness at the end, and can create stress fractures which will develop over time into cracks. If this is the prob then concentrate to keep your hand still. Alternatively if you turn your cutter round the other way so the blade is away from you then your hand doesn't move at all! But beware that when you cut this way the tip will be shorter than when you cut if the blade is facing you!

Latest posts

Back