Tip & dip acrylic vs acrylic powder?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily4amanda

Reaction score
Hi everyone!,

Can anyone tell me the difference bettween tip and dip powder and the usuall acrylic powder that you mix with liquid? I jus wondered if I could use the usuall powder for my tip and dip nails?

Emily xx

Hi everyone!,

Can anyone tell me the difference bettween tip and dip powder and the usuall acrylic powder that you mix with liquid? I jus wondered if I could use the usuall powder for my tip and dip nails?

Emily xx

Hi:)
Tip and dip acrylic powders ( such as the backscratchers range) are a lot finer than the usual acrylic powder that you mix with acrylic liquid. You could use your usual powder but you may find it doesn't go on the nail as smoothly as the powders that are specificly made for the tip and dip system. Hth

That's correct.
Usually, the powders designed for tip-n-dip are finer to avoid 'clouding' (but this can also be caused by poor application).
You can use a regular one in a pinch... but I wouldn't.
EXCEPT when you want to use colours and glitter acrylics, then no worries as clouding won't show.

Just be careful to sprinkle the powder only very lightly, else the resin won't penetrate the layer fully and then it won't activate.
Then when you try to file, you'll end up with 'powder bubbles' if that makes any sense? You'll have to re-resin and re-activate, blah blah.

A light hand is the trick.

hth's

Thank you, I wont bother using the one I got then, Im thinking of learning how to use acrylic in the traditional method anyway as there is more skill involved and is more proffesional and they are a little stronger, (although when I put them on my own nails they seem to last untill I take them off, just like normal acrylic)

thanks again :) xxx

That's correct.
Usually, the powders designed for tip-n-dip are finer to avoid 'clouding' (but this can also be caused by poor application).
You can use a regular one in a pinch... but I wouldn't.
EXCEPT when you want to use colours and glitter acrylics, then no worries as clouding won't show.

Just be careful to sprinkle the powder only very lightly, else the resin won't penetrate the layer fully and then it won't activate.
Then when you try to file, you'll end up with 'powder bubbles' if that makes any sense? You'll have to re-resin and re-activate, blah blah.

A light hand is the trick.

hth's

I use the tip and dip on myself as I'm caggy handed with my non-dominant hand. On searching the forum I've seen some glitter fade pics of your's - could you tell me how you do that using the tip and dip technique and also could I ask what your tips are with doing glitter tips with tip and dip. Wow!! On reading back there are too many "tips" 

Many thanks for your's (or anyone's tips and advice)

I use the tip and dip on myself as I'm caggy handed with my non-dominant hand. On searching the forum I've seen some glitter fade pics of your's - could you tell me how you do that using the tip and dip technique and also could I ask what your tips are with doing glitter tips with tip and dip. Wow!! On reading back there are too many "tips" 

Many thanks for your's (or anyone's tips and advice)

Been meaning to do a TUT for this as Nails Mag asked me to. And haven't quite gotten to it.
Leave a message in my inbox as a reminder, and I'll try to get that 'tutorial' done this week for both you and Nails mag LOL

It's very hard to explain without pictures.

Feel free to ask me anytime about anything tip-n-dip.
There's very little that I haven't tried with that system.

While not very popular elsewhere, it's on par with L&P here in Montreal. Most SALONS use it because it's simple and fast and in terms of 'speed' they can compete with NSS timewise.

hth's

Thanks for your reply. I've sent you a direct message. 

Can you use the dip powders with bonding liquid to do regular acrylic nails? I find better colors in the dip powders.

Can you use the dip powders with bonding liquid to do regular acrylic nails? I find better colors in the dip powders.
No that will not work I am afraid . The dip powders are much , much finer and not designed to go with a monomer as such

Latest posts

Back