Tipping a bitten nail.........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god I am so confused, sorry to be so thick, have read all the comments and the tutorial but dont get it? So are you sticking the tip to the skin and snipping the corners of the tip to fit? Sorry again........

you fit the tip to the nail, then where the main body of the tip joins the well you use curved scissors and cut out a slither off the sidewall, this enables the tip to fit nicely over the bulbous skin when tipping a nailbiter
(this is all done before applying with adhesive) :wink2:
hth's

brilliant tutorial ruth i have just re read it as i have a client with ski jump nails and wondered how on earth i would do it , thanks hunny xx

Thanks for this, it is much needed.

Teri x

Found this very interesting, I have a question on bitten nail if you can help.

I was told that the seal at the free edge on a bitten nail might attach itsself to the tip and grow out on the tip.

a. Is this true?
b. Will this be painful for the client when the enhancement needs to be removed?
c. and if true once the tip/enhancement has been removed will it re-attach itself the the natural nail?

Hope you understand what I am trying to say and if you can help me on this matter I would be grateful.

The tip hitches a ride on the bitten nail and grows out just fine.
The tip grows off the nail plate, just like colour does when you colour you hair. There is no pain if the enhancement is removed, they just will be back to their natural nail plus a few mm of growth.
When a biter wears enhancements for a long time, the nail plate will become longer as it is not nibbled away from the nail bed.

HTH

Hi, this is how I read it, But I haven't put it into practice. Great drawing by the way. I should wait until the experts reply's to you before you take my word as I only had my first client yesturday.

Sorry to drag this up again! I have done my best to do a diagram of what i think you mean, can you confirm if i'm right or not

http://www.mypicshare.com/thumbs/20070510/jkcxaixf.jpg

Hope this works ok!

Dont' be sorry it is a very important skill and one that takes practice.

Yes in in essence thats right, the amount of sidewall to be reduced has to mirror the bulbous skin on the finger tip. You just cut tiny slivers away until it tip sits nicely without a ski jump effect on the natural nail.
You start your tailoring from the well area as the bulbous skin will be most evident there. The natural nail may seem to be lower in appearance then the actual free edge and by tailoring the tip, will allow the tip to sit nicley on the nail without an upward tilt.
You also reduce the well area as most nailbiters have a much smaller nail plate and a full well may drown the nail plate so to speak.
The tip is only adhered to the nail and not the skin, so as this tip grows out it reduces the bulousness in time and allows the natural nail to actually grow to where it should be, had it not been bitten.

So you need to tailor the tip to make allowance for the size of he natural nail and also to fit snug without an upward tilt on the nail plate....
HTH

Attachments

• oomajaoh.jpg
    oomajaoh.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 547
Thank you for clearing that up for me, i have a serious nail bitter in tomorrow so look forward to trying it for real instead of just on my boyfriend! xxx

:green: Thanks for the tutorial useful info:hug:

i was wondering where you got the diagrams for as they would be really helpful for using in my coursework at college for nails :rolleyes:

That is what it's there for Hun........................Help yourself xxx

thanks for theat ,ill print that off so i can have for future ref.thanks:)

hi ruth
i was recommended to get in touch with you to see if you can recommend any nail tech courses in london? im a freelance makeup artist and want to broaden my skills....i do want to qualify with the right qualifications to be able to work freelance in a salon.

can you help?
many thanks
esme winterflood
[email protected]

Brilliant - thanks very much for this tip. I had a nail biter tonight and after trimming the sides of the tip they fitted very well and when finished they were a lovely shape :) I had been dreading this before I read this tutorial!!!!!

this is wonderful help. Any chance of a video??

Thank you so much for doing this, I think I understand what you mean and I have the perfect client for this. She has very short nails and has trouble trying to keep normal tips on but I think if I try this, this may make all the difference.

:D

I tried this for the first time on a die-hard biter last monday.
I wil see here again monday, gave her my number and told her to call me is a nail got bitten or 'lost' :eek:
Till now, no phonecall....
to be continued...
Greetings from Belgium,
Conny

Latest posts

Back