Tips application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Reaction score
Hi...
I need some advice...
When applying tips with glue on nails there are air bubbles being trapped underneath the tip.
Any ideas?

Lena

Lena said:
Hi...
I need some advice...
When applying tips with glue on nails there are air bubbles being trapped underneath the tip.
Any ideas?

Lena

Hi Lena! I already posted this to beautybabe- however here is my help:

(The products mentioned here are CND products.)

To prevent air bubbles you need to match the correct tip with the 'C' Curve of the natural nail, and also be sure the tip fits from one sidewall to the other. You can reduce the contact area beforehand to make application easier, and blending will be easier afterwards.

You also want to choose the correct adhesive according to your application- there are different 'set' times with adhesives (Speedbond=thin liquid 5 second pressure set, Solar Seale=liquid 10 second pressure set), and also gel consistency adhesive (Gelbond=gel adhesive which fills gaps with 10 second pressure set).

When using adhesive, place a bead of adhesive in the contact are of the tip, and also a small line of adhesive on the natural nail using the tip of the container to sprad it evenly in both areas.

Hold the tip at a 45 degree angle, and place the stop point of the tip against the natural free edge. Then lower the contact area down- and stop when your desired side arch is achieved. Hold the tip down according to the time needed with your adhesive.

To blend the tip- use a 120 or higher grit abrasive (Outblack 120 side) to reduce the bulk to the entire tip evenly- use a rounded motion and pay attention to the 'ears' of the tip. Then you can use a 180 grit abrasive (Boomerang Buffer or 180 side of Blizzard Board) to refine the tip material from the nail - this will prevent pocket lifting and ghost shadowing.

Then use a 240 buffer (240 side of Boomerang Board or 240 side of Koala Buffer) to go over the entire tip to ensure it is thin and translucent and completely blended.

Bubbles are usually caused by poor tip fit, and/or poor adhesive application and/or poor tip application.

It takes practice!

Hope I've helped, good luck!

Lena, are you taking out the contact area before you try to apply the tip? I think air bubbles are caused by you trying to push down too far onto the nail ie. exceeding the 45 degree angle. I’ve done a search for you and found a good thread called "Air Bubble and Worried": do a search on that and have a read: it has good advice from Mrs Geek and it might well help you.

By the way, in relation to MissNailPro's post, not sure what CND teaches in the US but in England all companies teach that you never blend a tip on with anything higher than a 240 grit file (well that's my understanding anyway) to prevent any possible damage to the natural nail occuring.

Thanks a lot for your advice! I found thread about air bubbles Very helpful.

I read there that client can get infection in area of air bubble... What kind of infection?

Lena.

Lena said:
Thanks a lot for your advice! I found thread about air bubbles Very helpful.

I read there that client can get infection in area of air bubble... What kind of infection?

Lena.
Not sure, hunny, but probably a bacterial infection.

Thanks for advice!
Just tried to apply tip on practice finger.... No bubbles!
Before I did this with 90' angle and prepared nail plate not in nail growth direction ( from side to side)

I am so happy that joined Nail Geek!
Lots of real professionals here!

Lena said:
Thanks for advice!
Just tried to apply tip on practice finger.... No bubbles!
Before I did this with 90' angle and prepared nail plate not in nail growth direction ( from side to side)

I am so happy that joined Nail Geek!
Lots of real professionals here!
Glad to have helped hunny. There's loads of good advice on here so keep signing in and you'll learn loads and never be afraid to ask questions!

Carole Lindsay said:
By the way, in relation to MissNailPro's post, not sure what CND teaches in the US but in England all companies teach that you never blend a tip on with anything higher than a 240 grit file (well that's my understanding anyway) to prevent any possible damage to the natural nail occuring.
I learned to use a 180 grit file and still use a 120/180 grit to de-bulk and blend the tip and the koala 240 to refine the tip..............

You can actually cause more damage with a 180 grit used in fast see saw( choo-choo train) motion then a 120 grit in controlled light circular motion............
I wouldn't try to blend a tip after adhesion with a 240 grit, you would have to increase pressure and speed to reduce the bulk and this would cause more heat sensation then using a 120 or 180 grit file...............

The file which ever grit you use, should never touch the natural nail,even a 240 grit can cause nail thinning .................

Tip blending is broken down into 3 steps if you like:
  1. Reducing the bulk of the tip 120+ ( up to well area)
  2. 180 to blend ( refine and smooth, refine the tip material from the nail, so you have maximum keratin exposure, the more keratin is showing the better bondin you will have )
  3. Using a 240 to ensure the tip is thin and translucent and completely blended and ready for product overlay........................
Just my tuppence worth.............and the new CND Blizzard boards a the bees knees xxxxxxxxxxx

I use 180 grit file to prepare nail plate and then white block. I didn't realize that it is so harmful for nail. Thanks for help!

To prep nail never use more then a 240 file/buffer and only going over the nail onces in direction of nail growth..............
"once removes shine, twice removes nail plate"..........................
You should only be lightly exfoliating and removing shine, never Keratin...........
Hope this helps a little xxx

Thanks again!
Very proud to have advice from real ptoffesionals!
Hope one day ( long way to go...) will become one. At least will try very hard.

Lena

Thanks babe, Oh yes you will get there and I bet it will be sooner then you think...xxxx
I love your nail art, the feathered one in your album is fab...........you got any more ???? I would love to see it xx

Will add some more of my nail art to gallery.
Thanks.

Carole Lindsay said:

I think its more likely that in the UK we are taught that a grit of anythin LESS than 240 shouldnt be used on the Natural Nail.......I know I would never be able to blend a tip with 240 grit!
I was always taught with a 180 for blending.....Ruth is, as ever spot on tho as I have found lately that using a coarser grit in a more controlled manner makes the whole blending thing a doddle!
I guess it is always a big temptation to be a bit heavy handed, thinking that the job will be done quicker.....but really I liken it to slicing fresh bread.....If you use the knife on the bread and just press like billyo into it.....what a squishy mess.....take the correct knife and gently move it.....and hey presto....a perfect slice.
Well thats ASDA bread anyhow!!!! :o:

Jacky said:
I think its more likely that in the UK we are taught that a grit of anythin LESS than 240 shouldnt be used on the Natural Nail.......I know I would never be able to blend a tip with 240 grit!
I was always taught with a 180 for blending.....Ruth is, as ever spot on tho as I have found lately that using a coarser grit in a more controlled manner makes the whole blending thing a doddle!
I guess it is always a big temptation to be a bit heavy handed, thinking that the job will be done quicker.....but really I liken it to slicing fresh bread.....If you use the knife on the bread and just press like billyo into it.....what a squishy mess.....take the correct knife and gently move it.....and hey presto....a perfect slice.
Well thats ASDA bread anyhow!!!! :o:
I guess i ought to clarify what i meant: i apply my tips then do the main blending with 180 then when i get closer i move to 240 grit. Yeah I was taught not to use anything other than a 240 coz they dont trust you not to damage the client's nails but once you've got confidence you can go for it :)

10 minutes ago I had client. She wanted gel nails. Following your advices I did them...
NO AIR BUBBLES!
I am so grateful to everybody!
Thanks!

Lena said:
10 minutes ago I had client. She wanted gel nails. Following your advices I did them...
NO AIR BUBBLES!
I am so grateful to everybody!
Thanks!
Fantastic - now you can go from strength to strength!!

Thanks!
You can't imagine how helpful you advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back