Tips? Cover dark+grey roots (non perm) on lightened blonde hair (with Illumina)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesUK

Reaction score
I’m sure this is a very common problem, but would appreciate tips on best way to deal with covering grey on dark roots (keeping dark) while keeping rest of hair blonde (lightened).

Root problem
Base level of 5-6 with approx 20% dye resistant grey. I’d like to keep it dark but not using permanent colour so easier to lighten (towards level 8-9) as it grows out.
Have used Illumina 5/81+6/19, 13vol for 40mins but it didn’t cover the grey that well. Would rather stick with Illumina than using CTplus (have done in the past).

Possible solutions?
1) 20vol on own/with blondor beforehand to prep the hair?
2) 20vol with Illumina 8/69 over roots and mids (mix with 10/19 at ends) so that grey is covered permanently, then apply 5/81+6/19 on roots with 13vol the next day?

Generally was thinking to use the Illumina + 20vol on mids to lighten as roots grow out, with 13vol on rest to refresh colour.

I’m sure this is a very common problem, but would appreciate tips on best way to deal with covering grey on dark roots (keeping dark) while keeping rest of hair blonde (lightened).

Root problem
Base level of 5-6 with approx 20% dye resistant grey. I’d like to keep it dark but not using permanent colour so easier to lighten (towards level 8-9) as it grows out.
Have used Illumina 5/81+6/19, 13vol for 40mins but it didn’t cover the grey that well. Would rather stick with Illumina than using CTplus (have done in the past).

Possible solutions?
1) 20vol on own/with blondor beforehand to prep the hair?
2) 20vol with Illumina 8/69 over roots and mids (mix with 10/19 at ends) so that grey is covered permanently, then apply 5/81+6/19 on roots with 13vol the next day?

Generally was thinking to use the Illumina + 20vol on mids to lighten as roots grow out, with 13vol on rest to refresh colour.
Illumina is a permanent colour?
If you need more coverage then you need to be adding in base. So in Illumina it would be 5/ .
Illumina is designed to blend the white hairs, not actually give a solid coverage.
So if you want a denser coverage I'd look at regular colour touch shades or use koleston with 3%

v

Last edited:
Illumina is a permanent colour?
If you need more coverage then you need to be adding in base. So in Illumina it would be 5/ .
Illumina is designed to blend the white hairs, not actually give a solid coverage.
So if you want a denser coverage I'd look at regular colour touch shades or use koleston with 3%
Thx for your reply! I might give Koleston with 3% a go, didn't know you could go for a low developer with that. It's that age old problem of wanting total grey coverage but not wanting to leave it permanently dark only to try and bleach it as it grows out ;0). Would it not make more sense to lighten it and use a perm colour initially, then a toner on top to darken, but when washes out you don't see greys just a similar shade to rest of the hair?

So apparently Illumina can be used with Colour Touch emulsion to refresh colour and for glossing. Below taken from Behindthechair.com but have also seen on a Wella pdf (not sure if I can add links here). I've used CT, CTplus and Koleston in the past but really liking the violet undertones of Illumina to fight my brassiness ;0) and means I can use perm and semi on my hair but still in the same shade combo.

"ILLUMINA Color is a permanent color that uses a 1:1 mix ratio with both Koleston Perfect and Color touch developers with no added complexity. In addition to typical permanent color services, ILLUMINA color can also be used to refresh mid lengths and ends when mixed 1:1 with Color Touch 1.9% developer and it can be used to offer clients a luxury glossing service when mixed in 1:1:1 with equal parts ILLUMINA Color, Color Touch 1.9% Developer, and Wella Professionals Color Post Treatment."

Thx for your reply! I might give Koleston with 3% a go, didn't know you could go for a low developer with that. It's that age old problem of wanting total grey coverage but not wanting to leave it permanently dark only to try and bleach it as it grows out ;0). Would it not make more sense to lighten it and use a perm colour initially, then a toner on top to darken, but when washes out you don't see greys just a similar shade to rest of the hair?

So apparently Illumina can be used with Colour Touch emulsion to refresh colour and for glossing. Below taken from Behindthechair.com but have also seen on a Wella pdf (not sure if I can add links here). I've used CT, CTplus and Koleston in the past but really liking the violet undertones of Illumina to fight my brassiness ;0) and means I can use perm and semi on my hair but still in the same shade combo.

"ILLUMINA Color is a permanent color that uses a 1:1 mix ratio with both Koleston Perfect and Color touch developers with no added complexity. In addition to typical permanent color services, ILLUMINA color can also be used to refresh mid lengths and ends when mixed 1:1 with Color Touch 1.9% developer and it can be used to offer clients a luxury glossing service when mixed in 1:1:1 with equal parts ILLUMINA Color, Color Touch 1.9% Developer, and Wella Professionals Color Post Treatment."
You're double processing , only to have to lift it in the future anyway.
.in theory just Because a colour is permanent doesn't always mean it's harder to remove.
There's a lot of factors to consider.

Latest posts

Back