Tips for brushes to use for perfect smiles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi

I can not get the hang of smiles for love nor money, i'am sure it's my too big brush.......any tips??????????

I am being a bit cheat with white tips at the moment

Ta

Well if you can't do it one way ... find another way is what I say .. It's not cheating!!:)

But to be fully skilled (plus the fact that it is cheaper not to have to buy yet another box of tips) you should try to master the art.

It is not your brush, it is your technique with your brush.
You need to be shown how to do it in a 121 training situation is the best option. The geek also has a tutorial on the site where you can perhaps take a look at the angle of the brush etc to see how he is manipulating it to get the effect he wants.

MINKUS said:
Hi

I can not get the hang of smiles for love nor money, i'am sure it's my too big brush.......any tips??????????

I am being a bit cheat with white tips at the moment

Ta

Hi Minkus!

For me it was because my brush wasn't big enough! I bought the Creative 'Massive' brush and it helps no end! the weight of the brush is like a helping hand and I find I can apply the white in a much smoother motion. I do cheat a little though by pre tailoring the tips and using the cut out well as a guide for my smile line. J x

Hi Minkus,

I hate smile lines with a passion! but everyone works differently and i find it easier to work with a small, pointed brush so i can move the smile line into place to try and attempt a smile! the best buy i got was an brush that was already pre tailored at an angle which was just an artist brush which i used to try and get the smile line into place as best as one can lol! Unfortunately this is still something i cant wait to master but will keep practicing, if your currently using a big brush and are having difficulties then try a smaller one and see what result you get from it x x

Kellyc said:
Hi Minkus,

I hate smile lines with a passion! but everyone works differently and i find it easier to work with a small, pointed brush so i can move the smile line into place to try and attempt a smile! the best buy i got was an brush that was already pre tailored at an angle which was just an artist brush which i used to try and get the smile line into place as best as one can lol! Unfortunately this is still something i cant wait to master but will keep practicing, if your currently using a big brush and are having difficulties then try a smaller one and see what result you get from it x x
The BRUSH is not the probem. :mad:
Anyone who knows how can make a decent smile line with any size brush if they have to. A larger brush is easier as JO JO says.
Technique is everything and it must be learned.
If you hate smile lines, it is because you do not yet know the techniaque to make them well. No one who knows how to do great smile hates them!! :)

Don't blame your tools. The lady above has changed her tools and still is struggling. Learn how to do it with the correct technique and easily.

Go to shows, watch the artists at work and don't concentrate on the smile they are making, but concentrate on HOW they are making it.

Look at the brush, look at the finger check the angles and which part of the brush is being used. Stay for hours if you have to but learn.

geeg said:
The BRUSH is not the probem. :mad:
Anyone who knows how can make a decent smile line with any size brush if they have to. A larger brush is easier as JO JO says.
Technique is everything and it must be learned.
If you hate smile lines, it is because you do not yet know the techniaque to make them well. No one who knows how to do great smile hates them!! :)

Don't blame your tools. The lady above has changed her tools and still is struggling. Learn how to do it with the correct technique and easily.

Go to shows, watch the artists at work and don't concentrate on the smile they are making, but concentrate on HOW they are making it.

Look at the brush, look at the finger check the angles and which part of the brush is being used. Stay for hours if you have to but learn.
First of all Geeg, with all respect if you read my post correctly you will see that i am trying to master the smile line, i hate smile lines and thats my opinion and unfortunately YOU will not change that, yes maybe when i have mastered it i will love them but that is a long time coming of which i look forward! You yourself have once kindly helped me out via email and knew what brush i was using and you gave me a technique to try and i still have problems. I am learning and learn new things everyday, i am not blaming my tools i am simply saying that i personally prefer to use a small brush, i am sorry if this has annoyed you but i am NOT sorry for giving my opinion.

I attend shows and have recently started working with Debs in a salon for experience she is a master and i know i will learn a lot from her but in the meantime i do not wish to be insulted if i post.

I don`t agree that the size of the brush doesn`t make a difference at all........
When I started my Creative training I couldn`t do a decent smile line at all and at the time I was using Star Nails and a Star Nails brush after switching from NSI using one of their brushes which I also couldn`t get the hang of smile lines either.
My Creative tutor advised me to get a bigger brush because thats what she felt she needed for smiles so I took her advise and got the bigger brush. (Maybe Ambassadors shouldn`t be giving out that sort of information if we shouldn`t be blaming our tools)
I did eventually get there and I did manage to scrape through my masters although I`m the first to admit I still have a long way to go but I no longer shy away from anyone wanting pink and white L&P.
I have however reverted back to a smaller brush because I do make a better smile with it, so after all that waffleing I do think the size of the brush matters to some people.

With Kelly though, I think she is referring to applying a gel smile and I have shown her how I do mine, and again, its all in the size of the brush. Over the last 5 years (and I know thats not much compared to some) it has worked for me so I`ll always try and help others with the same hints and tips I`ve picked up along the way.
I do hope I haven`t bored anyone too much with this extremely long and boring post

I also use the Creative Ultra Sculptor for my smile lines. I find it easier with a bigger brush. But for gel i do use a much smaller brush for the smiles.
HTHS

I have not been doing smile lines for long, but when I done it on a client the other day I took the tips from the free video from NSI. I used a normal gel brush (not sure if you are using gel or acrylic ;) ) after you apply the gel you wipe the brush on a tissue. Then shape the smile line. Watching the video really helped me. You dont have excess product on the brush either. :idea:

Well.....thanks all you ....have made it crystal clear.....doh!! I'll keep on tryin' and peek over a few shoulders at excel

thanks again

I use a very thin paint brush and paint my line very thin, where i want it to go. Its like using a pencil!! That way, if the line is not right, you can keep playing untill you get it right. (with gel, anyway). When i have got my line right, i fill in up to the free edge.

g'day bec and welcome to the site!! Thanks for tips!!

Latest posts

Back