Tips for cutting hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmLou3003

Reaction score
I am not a hairdresser, but I do actually enjoy cutting hair extensions, but I am quite critical of myself, and always think I could have done a better job when cutting the extensions. I would like some tips on cutting hair extensions and blending them.

How I was taught was to separate the hair into two sections (top section and bottom section) then split the bottom section into three sections length ways. I always flip the right and left side over the shoulders, cut the middle section then bring the left and right sections back over and level them up to the same as the middle section – hope I am making sense here. I then bring the rest of the hair down and do the same again.

I then split the hair into two (right and left side) stand in front of the client and bring the hair forward over their shoulders to see how it looks from the front. Usually it needs more levelling up otherwise it’s a bit up and down.

I then use my razor on the extensions to take out the thickness round the front of the face so they fall naturally rather than just straight down.

The only issue I find is that, I cut the hair straight, holding my scissors straight so whilst it looks neat, it does kind of look unnatural.

Obviously I understand my knowledge is limited as I am not a hair dresser – but I am just looking for some advice/tips on cutting the extensions? I see a lot of technicians work where the hair falls into a almost a V shape, this looks amazing x

Extensions can't be cut like normal hair can someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been told not to straight cut extensions for the reason you said of it looking unnatural have you had a look on YouTube for any videos?

Extensions can't be cut like normal hair can someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been told not to straight cut extensions for the reason you said of it looking unnatural have you had a look on YouTube for any videos?
Yes I have had a look online a couple, but they aren't massively helpful! x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1446743335.457384.jpg

Do you mean that sort of shape?

If so, cut the hair straight to the longest point its going to be. Then do your shape around the face with scissors, you'll get much more 'dig' with scissors, keeping some nice weight. Then bring all the hair round the back and it'll already have a little bit of that shape, just feather down for the shortest point to the longest gently opening and closing your scissors. Then do a little point cutting to soften.

For the layers i do different techniques for different looks; i've mostly taught myself.

Take slim vertical sections and bring it out from the head straight, you can either use your razor and feather from the join of the natural to the extensions just to blend, (you can do the same with scissors) or for a much more layered look point cut really deep into the top layers to shorten them, leave a row or two of the longer underneath though so you have enough weight at the bottom.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 191816

Do you mean that sort of shape?

If so, cut the hair straight to the longest point its going to be. Then do your shape around the face with scissors, you'll get much more 'dig' with scissors, keeping some nice weight. Then bring all the hair round the back and it'll already have a little bit of that shape, just feather down for the shortest point to the longest gently opening and closing your scissors. Then do a little point cutting to soften.

For the layers i do different techniques for different looks; i've mostly taught myself.

Take slim vertical sections and bring it out from the head straight, you can either use your razor and feather from the join of the natural to the extensions just to blend, (you can do the same with scissors) or for a much more layered look point cut really deep into the top layers to shorten them, leave a row or two of the longer underneath though so you have enough weight at the bottom.

Hope that helps.
This is a big help thank you - fancy doing a video tutorial next time you do a set ;)

This is a big help thank you - fancy doing a video tutorial next time you do a set ;)

Hahaha if i get the time yeah!

I was actually thinking 'it'd be so much easier to do a video'

Hahaha if i get the time yeah!

I was actually thinking 'it'd be so much easier to do a video'
It would help me massively. If you do do one, let me know! X

Latest posts

Back