Tips for designing a logo for your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
After numerous requests - I have decided to post the info and share it with you all.

The 3 simple rules to designing a logo for your business.

1 - Keep it simple look at other logos ie - Marks & Spencer, Woolworths, Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Next etc... all VERY simple but instantly recognisable. Don't try making your logo too complex - it won't work and won't be instantly recognisable.
Less is more, and the more simple it is the better.

2 - Use only one or 2 colours
Don't go using every font under the sun - and all of the colours in the rainbow.
Stick to one or two colours... Why?.. because it looks classier (you can also use tints of these colours), and it is much cheaper if/when you come to have it professionally printed.

3 - Check clarity, spelling and punctuation very carefully
You may like the font/colours you have used but ask yourself...
Can it be read easily?
Will it be mistaken for another word?
Is my name clear?
Is it spelt and punctuated correctly?
All of these things can look unprofessional.

Having your logo printed (on pricelists, cards etc)
speaking for professional printing - logos will, 99% of the time, need to be supplied as a 'vector file*' so the colours split right or you will end up paying for 4 colour printing which is costly.
Most printers will not accept logos designed in word as the quality is no good what so ever.
A vector file can be scaled to any size without losing quality - ie from a business card to the sign outside your shop. Use a package such as Illustrator, if you have it.
Remember to convert all fonts to outlines/paths, this way the font is saved in a 'shape format' rather then a font.
If the printer doesnt happen to have the same font as you it will open on their machine as either courier or helvetica and will look totally different.

As with nails, if in doubt leave it to the professionals, most companies will offer free quotes and advice.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

* VECTOR GRAPHICS
Creating an image (ie a logo in this case) through a sequence of points, lines, shapes in a given two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. In vector graphics, the file is created and saved as a sequence of 'vector statements' - a series of points to be connected to make up the logo (a bit like a dot to dot).

Most images created with tools such as Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw are in the form of vector image files. Vector image files are easier to modify than raster (flattened ie like a photograph or scan) image files. They can be scaled to any size without losing quality or clarity!

Imaging scanning in a photo and trying to enlarge it - you lose the clarity and quality. with a vector file you dont lose that as all the 'points' enlarge together.

Excellent Rach - just whats needed! Why not turn it into an article, then it can be easily found by newbies in the future!

great info rach!!!
thanks
xxxxxxx

Wahts a vector file Rach?

Rach, I've left it to the professionals, LOL.
did you receive my last e-mail regarding my logo?

Great info, very helpful indeed!!!!

Thx Rach

Rach, I've left it to the professionals, LOL.
did you receive my last e-mail regarding my logo?

Me too!!!! PMSL!!!! :hug:

Thanks for the info hun....and I agree with Lyndsay that you should turn this into a tutorial.

xxx

fab info Rach xxxxxxxxxxxx

I want to use the same as is on my signature as a design on my business card and would like to get it done for the side of my car too.
How do I do that??
Thanks in advance
Tina x

Moved to articles :wink2:

Excellent stuff Rachel, thanks :D

I want to use the same as is on my signature as a design on my business card and would like to get it done for the side of my car too.
How do I do that??
Thanks in advance
Tina x

yes u can
simplynails of rayleigh has it on her car,
think its the same as her vista print biz card.
why dont you ask wendy............i'm sure she will help, nice lady.:)

Fab article Rach and very helpful! xx

Latest posts

Back