Tips for Lycon waxing - trade test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebluebird

Reaction score
I have a trade test on Monday for a new salon and I'll be doing a Lycon Hollywood wax, I have been working in a salon for 6 months now with Lycon but I was shown to use a cold compress to help set the wax and I've never done a wax without using one! So I'm feeling quite nervous incase I'm not allowed to use one and I try to pull it off before its set and it goes all stringy and gooey... Can anyone advise me roughly how long Lycon takes to set naturally? I'm happy to learn without it if I get the job but I just don't want to mess up my trade test! Feeling nervous already [emoji17]

Also another thing... At my current work we were told double dipping is fine unless there is blood and obviously not for the back area. Now I disagree with this as it's not what I was taught but the first time I didn't do it my boss noticed the amount of spatulas in the bin and wasn't happy. However I do not want to double dip for my test either, will using a new spatula for every dip be ok? And how many roughly are normally used?

Thanks so much for any advice! Xx

I have a trade test on Monday for a new salon and I'll be doing a Lycon Hollywood wax, I have been working in a salon for 6 months now with Lycon but I was shown to use a cold compress to help set the wax and I've never done a wax without using one! So I'm feeling quite nervous incase I'm not allowed to use one and I try to pull it off before its set and it goes all stringy and gooey... Can anyone advise me roughly how long Lycon takes to set naturally? I'm happy to learn without it if I get the job but I just don't want to mess up my trade test! Feeling nervous already [emoji17]

Also another thing... At my current work we were told double dipping is fine unless there is blood and obviously not for the back area. Now I disagree with this as it's not what I was taught but the first time I didn't do it my boss noticed the amount of spatulas in the bin and wasn't happy. However I do not want to double dip for my test either, will using a new spatula for every dip be ok? And how many roughly are normally used?

Thanks so much for any advice! Xx

Use a damp cotton pad to help the wax set and explain that you are using it to help speed up the setting of the wax, as far as spatulas I would use 2 spatulas, one spatula to drip/transfer wax to the other so that the wax is never contaminated but your not wasting product. Really concentrate more on how you act with your client during the treatment, when trade testing I always focus on customer service, treatment techniques can always be changed/tweeked.
The best of luck!
P x

Ok I will do that. Thank you :)

Just don't double dip, ever. Would you want to be waxed from a pot that had matter from someone else's vagina in it?

Just don't double dip, ever. Would you want to be waxed from a pot that had matter from someone else's vagina in it?

Not at all! I think it's very gross and one of the reasons I am happy to be leaving my job. The salon considers itself to be "high-end" and hollywoods are the most expensive in the city. Yet she makes us scrimp on spatulas..

I use about 4 spatulas for a holly wood but I break it in half so for the smaller areas I am only using half a full wooden spatual. And wear gloves ! Not sure if you use with lycon but I always insist on gloves.

It costs ONLY 1p per spatula. Why scrimp on them when that is ALL they cost?
Add 10p/20p/50p to the cost of the treatment and use as many spatulas as it takes to do the job quickly (so not using the drizzle method) and efficiently.
I don't double dip for any waxing treatment and I just use however many spats it takes, sometimes I use a lot but I know the treatment was done quickly & to the best I can do and if I have to take 10p/20p less profit I am ok with that as I know I gave a treatment without double dipping & my client is more likely to have me back (I am mobile) because of that.

I snap my spatulas in half and use as many as I need. So much quicker! And very clean! X

I snap my spatulas in half and use as many as I need. So much quicker! And very clean! X
But why? Do you really feel the need to do that when that saves less than 1p?
Spatulas are cheap because your meant to throw them away after 1 use, there is no reason to waste time snapping them (risking getting splinters). It's 1p a spat, just use them and throw them.

I just find it easier when doing intimate waxing. Nothing to do with cost x

We tend to use one end of the spatula then we always shred up tissue and we'll wrap the wet wide up with tissue for us to hold and sip the other end in. I tend to find though when I put the spatula down the side is already dry skin I find I never need to wrap it in tissue but we on only use the spatula twice then chuck it x

At pro Beauty Manchester I picked up a great tip from Sam Marshals intimate wax demonstration, she used perm papers to quickly wrap up the wet end so you can use the other end.

I bought some to try it, could only find small ones locally, Sam used large ones.

My issue with spatulas isn't cost, it's waste disposal, I'm now using half the amount of spatulas that I was, so waste disposal costs are less.

Latest posts

Back