Tips for opening a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, me and my friend are looking into opening our own salon, I'm a mobile nail technician, she's a mobile hairdresser, we both do spray tanning and I am starting an eyelash course in March. Neither of us have ran a salon before so we are looking for any advice, tips, pointers that anyone has to offer. We are both very busy and have our own client bases - it's more the running of a salon, costings etc that we are clueless about....

Are you going to be a partnership (keeping your own client lists) or going into business together (owning the same company)? Or staying separate and just sharing the facilities, such as rent, telephone etc? Whatever the arrangement, you need to write down exactly who will do what, and the costs/responsibilities you are going to share if any. Also the hours each will do, cleaning arrangements, bookkeeping and other non-treatment duties. Then I would contact the local council to see what health and safety requirements there are.

Regarding costing, that'll depend on whether you are keeping your client bases separate, but in general you add in the cost of your overheads and also check to see what the competition is offering. Ideally you can sit somewhere in the mid to high range of prices as you already have your clients.

Are you going to be a partnership (keeping your own client lists) or going into business together (owning the same company)? Or staying separate and just sharing the facilities, such as rent, telephone etc? Whatever the arrangement, you need to write down exactly who will do what, and the costs/responsibilities you are going to share if any. Also the hours each will do, cleaning arrangements, bookkeeping and other non-treatment duties. Then I would contact the local council to see what health and safety requirements there are.

Regarding costing, that'll depend on whether you are keeping your client bases separate, but in general you add in the cost of your overheads and also check to see what the competition is offering. Ideally you can sit somewhere in the mid to high range of prices as you already have your clients.[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot for that, it's much appreciated, ideally we will be keeping our own clients and sharing the cos of rent and bills etc....

There are a lot of threads on here about opening a salon - expenses, legalities etc. Have a search x

Pick an area where parking is easy and free. Make your clients visit to you easy.

Latest posts

Back