Tips for selling retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhgiorgi

Reaction score
I've been hairdressing for 20 years but have always been rubbish at retail. I work for Regis who bought our salon several years ago and anyone who has worked for them knows how insistent they are on selling retail or in salon treatments. My manager who I've work with for 18 years knows I try but doesn't keep on at me, but this week she's been on holiday and the assistant manager has had a few little digs at me about it. earlier today she took great delight in telling me that for October when the client goes to pay and says that we didn't talk about products they can have £10 off the bill. I can't let that happen as I work on commission only.
Before anyone says go on courses on how to retail and product knowledge I've done all that. I still find it difficult to keep the conversation about haircare going without seeming pushy.
Also I have three elderly ladies that come in every week for blow dries and don't even do their hair at home.

I've told another geek on here about what we used to do when I was at Toni&Guy. It's weird to start with, you get used to it though and it does actually work :)

When shampooing tell them which shampoo you have chosen to use on there hair and why you chose that personally for them (they will like this because its like you've gone that extra mile) tell them how often to use it blah blah. Tell them what's in it and what benefits it has for them :)

Make sure you do it every time and then your boss will know do it. It will become natural, and defiantly more likely to sell the products :)

HTH x

Hey what we do is have consultation , ask how they feel the condition of their hair is - lets say dry on ends oily onroots , tell them your going to use a nice moisturising shampoo that's is great for oily roots , will leave hair feeling really clean soft and shiny , just casually say you'll show them which one is is after you shampoo them. Use simple words like soft, silky, volume, ect that makes them interested instead of going too deep into techniqle details.
When you bring them back go the section bring the shampoo and conditioner over and put in front of them just say that's what I used on you today so you know in future. Leave it at that unless they ask any more questions . When your finishing up after you've styled it say how great their hair feels and something like , that conditioner really softened you hair , to remind them how good it is! Leave the products if they want them they'll take them don't ask if they want to buy them or anything ! Really works and doesn't come across like your selling or being pushy !
Only really works on newer clients , your regulars will know your up to something :)
Any clients that say their hair is dry/flat/dull ect ask them what they are using to help this and recommend something - you can have it looking great today but they will need to use something to help them achieve what they want at home (mousse , wax ect ! The more you talk about it the more comfortable you'll get , at the end of the day your just trying to help them out too .

Latest posts

Back