Tips for tanning wrists, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnythecat

Reaction score
Ive been spray tanning for about four months and it is going really well.

But this last week several people have said the inside of their wrists looked a bit messy. The tan stops abruptly at the wrist in a kind of ragged patchy splodgy line. Same thing down the side of the thumb. Have seen photos and def looks wrong.

I use Nouvatan which i love and get clients to put their barrier cream on their hands.

I'm clearly doing something wrong and want to improve.

What do more experienced tanners advise please? Thanks so much x

I cover the client's hand with my left hand, and spray with my right. This ensures that no tan gets on the hand but I taper my tan movement off so that the colour doesn't end abruptly. I use extra strokes (very short, quick ones) across the wrist area if it needs more colour.

If you use the buffing mitt on the "ragged" edge while it's still wet, it should help to even it out.

If it doesn't look bad when it's wet, then it could be the client that's causing it to worsen by washing/drying their hands soon after their tans.

I'm by no means an experienced tanner, but hopefully this might've helped a wee bit!

It is hard to explain but I spray from the shoulder all the way down the arm and then flick the gun off the arm at the wrist so the gun points into thin air as I stop spraying (I don't spray thin air as that would be a waste of solution but you could spray until your off the arm then release the trigger, until you feel more confident in stopping at the arm if that makes sense).

So when I spray down to the wrist I flick either up or down depending on which part of the arm I'm doing. The flicking away stops there being an abrupt line like you described.

When I trained with Fake Bake, we were taught that once you have finished tanning you do your usual wipe of the finger nails and toenails, pop a bit of barrier cream onto the palms which they then wipe off on clean couch roll, then dab a teeny tiny bit of barrier cream to the wrist area and blend the wrist area so you don't get a definate finish line.

This has always worked really well for me and I now use Nouvatan and still use this method which still works.

If I haven't explained myself well enough, I think there is a you tube video showing the application.

hth

Heather

It is hard to explain but I spray from the shoulder all the way down the arm and then flick the gun off the arm at the wrist so the gun points into thin air as I stop spraying (I don't spray thin air as that would be a waste of solution but you could spray until your off the arm then release the trigger, until you feel more confident in stopping at the arm if that makes sense).

So when I spray down to the wrist I flick either up or down depending on which part of the arm I'm doing. The flicking away stops there being an abrupt line like you described.

This is what I do.

I also get the client to put barrier cream over their hands before the tan and blend up to the wrist, if that makes sense.

Rhiannon x

Last edited:
Imagine a C shape. Your client is on the curve side of the C and you are on the other (the gap) when you spray, you spray the C shape that way there will be no sign of where you started and stopped. Hope this makes sense lol:)

Imagine a C shape. Your client is on the curve side of the C and you are on the other (the gap) when you spray, you spray the C shape that way there will be no sign of where you started and stopped. Hope this makes sense lol:)

took me half hour to try figure out what you meant.... I had to turn my phone on it's side to grasp what you meant by the c shape lol x x

When I trained with Fake Bake, we were taught that once you have finished tanning you do your usual wipe of the finger nails and toenails, pop a bit of barrier cream onto the palms which they then wipe off on clean couch roll, then dab a teeny tiny bit of barrier cream to the wrist area and blend the wrist area so you don't get a definate finish line.

This has always worked really well for me and I now use Nouvatan and still use this method which still works.

If I haven't explained myself well enough, I think there is a you tube video showing the application.

hth

Heather

I might do this Heather... do you just rub the barrier cream on the line of the wrist.. were the wrist & palm meet? thank you x

Ive been spray tanning for about four months and it is going really well.

But this last week several people have said the inside of their wrists looked a bit messy. The tan stops abruptly at the wrist in a kind of ragged patchy splodgy line. Same thing down the side of the thumb. Have seen photos and def looks wrong.

I use Nouvatan which i love and get clients to put their barrier cream on their hands.

I'm clearly doing something wrong and want to improve.

What do more experienced tanners advise please? Thanks so much x

I've got a buffing mitt that I use to tidy the wrists up, kind of blends it in a bit... I have seen the finished results when I've done this & it does look ok x

I might do this Heather... do you just rub the barrier cream on the line of the wrist.. were the wrist & palm meet? thank you x

Yes but you only need a teeny bit as you want to blend not wipe it off

H xx

We used to do this in the salon with the St. Tropez. Same with the back of heels so it blends in x

Isn't the best way to tan your clients by putting in the least effort needed to do a great tan and turn those clients around quickly?

I think time is money and so learning to flick off at wrists and ankles then you shouldn't need to do any blending or touching up afterwards because there is no harsh lines ther to blend, it blends naturally.

It really isn't that hard. It's a lot harder to try to explain than it is to learn the move lol.

I'm sure there will be youtube clips that show people flicking away - I'll see if I can find one now and come back and post it.

** I really didn't think it would be that hard to find a good video with a flick motion but I'm struggling :Scared: Will continue to try and find a good clip and return as soon as I find one - I will try to get a model and do a clip myself for you if I have to **

Last edited:
Thank you so much fir taking the time to reply xxx

I do understand the flick - somewhere on here a clever geek described the movement as an upside down Y. And think i have been a bit mean with barrier cream.

I L O V E tanning and really want to be perfect at it.

Thank you again and have a sunny day xx

This is what I also do, I hate seeing over-tanned wrists. lol

HI,
Completely agree with Baggybear comments, I do exactely the same, also apply a dab of barrier cream to clients palms they rub all over including the rainbow area around wrist lightly,works perfectly, no need to for buffting mitts or touching up, less is more on wrists/hands/feets/heels you are simply blending these areas, with rest of tan. Lyn x

Latest posts

Back