Tips for working with cover pinks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spjelgus

Reaction score
Hi all:)

I never quite got the hang of using opaque cover pinks and so I never use them. I wanted to try it on myself yesterday since I always have lots of ugly white spots on my nails (always have) and wanted to practise a bit of french on myself:p

Long story short, they look terrible! I used the reverse application because i can get a really deep pretty smile line with it (although still a little bit crooked, but working on it;)) but the color is so inconsistent and on fingers where I couldn't get the nailbed all in one ball, like the thumb, it's just an aweful mess.

Ontop of all that I feel like as soon as I start filing at the cuticle I get tiny lifts, which I then have to file off and add more acrylic to the cuticle, which again makes the even more of a mess with the color!!!:( I never have this problem with sheer powders and after fixing and top coating I have no lifting at all with the opaques either. I feel like it might be that my mix ratio is to wet when using it because I am trying to blend the beads together to not get the color difference:/

Do you guys have any tips on how best to use cover pinks? Im using Harmony Fusion Renew Pink. Anyone else have trouble with it? Do you use reverse method or white french first? If you do white first do you make sure not to drag the pink over the white and then add clear over if needed?

I also find it a little too pink, which exaggurates the color differences, any ideas how to soften it up a little bit?

Lot's and lot's of questions, hopefully someone can find the time to help me out!!!:)

I would guess that your product application may be too thin and as you suggested, a little too wet. Also try not to play with the beads too much wen applying.
I am sure someone else will be along with even better advise ....

Anyone?

Sent from my BLADEII using SalonGeek mobile app

The trick is to layer your beads like roof tiles so that your 2nd bead overlaps and completes the structure of the first bead. That's number one

The second trick is laying your bead correctly. Your bead should be placed and pressed out so that the back of the bead is pressed out towards the eponychium as far as you can so that it thins out in that area ( never leave a ledge of product).

When you then place your zone 3 bead you place it on the thin part of the first bead you created and press back into place at the eponychium and smooth the rest of the product out covering the zone two bead in the thin area.

We call this technique layering like roof tiles where one bead overlaps the other.

Mix ratio should be consistent and you should never see a noticeable colour difference again where your two beads meld together. HTH

It might be the heat as well. I was having a slight problem with consistency due to the temperature in the salon yesterday. It was drying out so quickly, as if the monomer wasn't quite soaking through all the powder on my brush. If you know what I mean. I had to work with a wetter solution in the end, I felt like the monomer was just evaporating before it could soak into the powder. It was extremely hot in there yesterday. We don't have any aircon or fans.

It might be the heat as well. I was having a slight problem with consistency due to the temperature in the salon yesterday. It was drying out so quickly, as if the monomer wasn't quite soaking through all the powder on my brush. If you know what I mean. I had to work with a wetter solution in the end, I felt like the monomer was just evaporating before it could soak into the powder. It was extremely hot in there yesterday. We don't have any aircon or fans.

Well... "fortunately" I don't ever have to worry about the heat!;) It's like the summer never arrived here in Iceland, the temps rarely go over 12°C!

Although... come to think of it... I have been cursing my table lamp because the bulb get's so hot that I'm literarly sweating under it!! Time to change!

Thank you so much Gigi:) I've been trying to use a one bead reverse method, but I'm gonna experiment a little. Is it possible to do the reverse method in multiple beads? One for the smile line edge and then others for the nail bed? We'll see!:lol:

I also have to practise more getting deep pretty smile lines with the traditional method:)

Thank you so much Gigi:) I've been trying to use a one bead reverse method, but I'm gonna experiment a little. Is it possible to do the reverse method in multiple beads? One for the smile line edge and then others for the nail bed? We'll see!:lol:

I also have to practise more getting deep pretty smile lines with the traditional method:)

Yes ... of course ... reverse for the smile line and then as I describe for the rest.

geeg nailed it 100% awesome advice! and obviously a true educator. :D

Latest posts

Back