Tips hard to blend? And awful l&p!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca Rebecca

Reaction score
Hi geeks.....
I was hoping for done advice - I've just started my l&p course at college afew weeks ago and we had tips in our college kit we bought from The Edge. As they've nearly run out and also have got very mixed up I bought some cheap ones from ebay (just for training) but when I've put them on my mum during my homework practise I spent ages trying to blend them. When I put the acrylic on (just used pink as that was ok for this piece of h/w) you could still really see where the tips started. Also to top it all off my mums nails were dreadful! I've practised abit on fake nails stuck to an orange Woodstick and they've been really smooth ( using the edge size 8 brush which is apparently more like a 6) and this was my first use of my new Kosinski ASP brush size 8. They were so bad I didn't even bother finishing them properly. It was like I had no bead control. Any advice would be helpful. I am considering buying and practising with cnd tips and l&p as think I want to use these when I'm qualified. Thanks geeks xx

The biggest mistake most people make is buying a cheap kit just to practice. There's a reason they're cheap. They're not very nice to work with. Not to mention you don't really know what else is in them. Best thing to do is to practice with the brand you want to use. Learn its mix ratio to get perfect beads everytime. And work with a brush you're comfortable with using. As for blending tips, it's easier to blend if after you've cut them down, you start thinning out from the free edge first. It makes the tip almost like a wedge where the thickest part is the contact area. From there, thinning from the contact area flush should be easier as you'll be able to buff out the lines without the rest of the tip interfering, and you won't really file off any of the natural nail's surface.

Hi geeks.....
I was hoping for done advice - I've just started my l&p course at college afew weeks ago and we had tips in our college kit we bought from The Edge. As they've nearly run out and also have got very mixed up I bought some cheap ones from ebay (just for training) but when I've put them on my mum during my homework practise I spent ages trying to blend them. When I put the acrylic on (just used pink as that was ok for this piece of h/w) you could still really see where the tips started. Also to top it all off my mums nails were dreadful! I've practised abit on fake nails stuck to an orange Woodstick and they've been really smooth ( using the edge size 8 brush which is apparently more like a 6) and this was my first use of my new Kosinski ASP brush size 8. They were so bad I didn't even bother finishing them properly. It was like I had no bead control. Any advice would be helpful. I am considering buying and practising with cnd tips and l&p as think I want to use these when I'm qualified. Thanks geeks xx

Hey Rebecca, welcome to college :). Not all, but many colleges use 'cheap' products because that is what students can afford. I will go out on a limb and also say that much info taught, is outdated with incorrect terminology and application practises. May I stress again, that not all colleges are like this but a great many are.

The best advice I can give you, is either stick with it, finish your course, get your NVQ and then get some REAL education under your belt, from those that are experts in their field. The amount of times I have heard from students taking a CND L&P Conversion, 'I've learnt more today that I learnt in 8 months of college'... It's crazy and one of the reasons we called our brochure at the time 'Right from the Start' as there was that 'double entendre' of doing it 'right from the start' and getting 'right' from the start.

Anyway that's one way and if you have paid, probably the way you want to proceed... The other way is to change track and do an intensive nails only related course. You mention CND and we do everything including conversion from when you have finished college, but often college students need more that just the Conversion because there is so much they don't know.

The very best of luck to you in your career... Your poor mum... Soak off what you have done and give her a lovely manicure with lots of oil... We can help with samples for you at this juncture so give us a call... Sweet Squared 0845 210 6060 if you need extra help.
Love & Respect
Samantha Sweet

thanks for your reply that's great. Yes I think I'll go ahead and get some cnd tips. Annoyingly I've just bought a big bottle of The Edges monomer and more pink powder! But tbh I'd prefer to waste £30 and start practising with cnd. I'm sure my college wudnt mind. Thanku chickafish :) x

thanks for your reply that's great. Yes I think I'll go ahead and get some cnd tips. Annoyingly I've just bought a big bottle of The Edges monomer and more pink powder! But tbh I'd prefer to waste £30 and start practising with cnd. I'm sure my college wudnt mind. Thanku chickafish :) x

Like I said above, let us know.

Oh that's brill thanku. Yes I agree - I was teaching myself from you tube during my mani and pedi course and we had 5 different tutors during the 16 wk course. A starter kit would b fab - yes I was concerned I wouldn't know enough from just doing the conversion course you offer - I was mainly concerned that they'd be lots of nail tech's that have lots of experience and then I'd hold up the rest of the class with basic questions or I'd just simply be doing the conversion course way to early?

Sorry I think I sent chuckafish's reply just as you were messaging mrs Geeg. The 2nd reply is for u!! :) xxx

Sorry I think I sent chuckafish's reply just as you were messaging mrs Geeg. The 2nd reply is for u!! :) xxx
Lol no worries, sometimes we can do 'too much' learning from too many areas in one go and get completely confused. Don't be concerned. When you're ready, that's your next step!!! Xo

Latest posts

Back