Tips on business start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj222

Reaction score
Hi all 👋
I am new on hire. I am also newly qualified hairdresser too. I would appreciate your advice and tips with business start up. Advertising, where to get great priced stock for Wella colours and what is best way to build my client base and what to do about the price list etc. I am thinking to rent chair few days a week to begin with. Many thanks in advance 👍

Hi I’m in the UK, when I started back up again after having kids I found best way for me was Facebook, get on local pages, each area in my town has its own group page, advertise on there and then regularly ask clients to recommend you if they’ve been happy with the service, if you have the time, take your time to do some great before & after photos, think about lighting/back ground too, I tried a few local magazines and shops but hardly got any clients from that way,
Also set up on all social media sites, and look up to set up a ‘Google my business’ page too, had new clients from that too,
Look at local hairdressers online and their prices, but don’t just undersell yourself, and raise your prices annually, and if you have local wholesalers, work out your prices based on how long it takes you to do a service, Covid ppe, & petrol per mile if going mobile, good luck x

As you’re newly qualified, presumably level 2, you’d probably be better off gaining some more practical experience as an employee in a salon before going it alone, although I appreciate that it can be hard to get that first job when you’re newly qualified.

Also, plan on taking additional courses such as your level 3, advanced cutting classes and a course covering colour correction techniques as you’ll have only been taught the basics of colour on level 2.

Latest posts

Back