Tips on cutting out wells in tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda

Reaction score
I use Formation tips on most clients. Some have small nail beds so Formation's wells are too large, however, when I go to use the Velocity tips, that have a half well, they are too curved and don't want to fit on the nail. I have tried to modify the Formation well, but no matter what tip cutter I use, I still get the white marks on the tip. That is even with a new blade. Can anyone help me?

Crap... thought I had a tutorial on tipping up there... o well (no pun intended)... this is what I do:

Take an abrasive (bout a 180)
Hold tip between thumb and nagger (forefinger) so the contact area is pointed away from you
file the contact area in one direction (away from you at a 45 degree angle).
Keep the angle consistent and centered.
Watch as your contact area turns into the velocity contact area.
Do this with all contact areas... remove whatever is not needed for application.
Ahh... now I see why its not up... crappy pix... o well... here are a couple to give you an idea.

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Hope this helps

hey rhonda. i always cut the wells out from my tips, i usually only work on about 1mm of well!!!!! i've found it easiest to use a small pair of curved scissors. theses are perfect. turn the tip over and cut from underneath following the curve on the stop point, cutting away from me. i then pre blend, apply and blend away, with only a small amount in contact with the nail the blending takes no time and you have no ghost shaddow or air pockets to worry about. also when cutting out a tip, you ever tried vicki peters method, just cut a smile lime into the tip itself, forger about the well completely and apply the the natural smile line on the nail and overlay, looks like pink and soft whites, its a cool idea if your in a hurry as you dont even have to blend!!!

hope this helps

antony

Thanks Geek and Antony for the tips, photos and suggestions! I will give it a whirl!!

the above pictures don't seem to be working sam any chance of getting them back ;)

I realize that most of the utilizers of this website are CND loyals, but I would like to offer this for what it's worth. I don't particularly care for blending or pre-blending full well tips either and have tried so many different brands on the market today with not much satisfaction. So, without offending the CND loyals, I suggest using NSI's Elation! Tips. They are a half well tip and are made with a different type of material (Polyflex) than the usual and standard ABS plastics. They blend in beautifully, easily, and quickly (time is money!). The Polyflex material is acetone proof (per the company) and does not crease (or "white-out") when trimmed or cut. Their cost is competitive and the tips come in Natural, White, and Clear. I highly recommend them to all. Try them out sometime and let me know what you think! :D

Hi Rhonda

I've never found tip cutters that could cut in a smile line yet - maybe someone should invent them!!

However, I do what Antony does, which is to use curved scissors. One of the reasons that tip cutters "crease" the tip with white marks is because they strain the c curve of the tip as you cut. Using curved scissors allows you to cut into the tip without this. Never let the blades "snip" keep opening them with little bounces and just use the blades near the end (never wide open). As you cut, you'll notice that the tip wants to move with the pressure of the scissors - let it do this and it will roll with your cutting movements. Hold the tip upside down (underside facing upwards) - start at an ear and finish at the other ear!!

Crickey - that sounds hilarious!! It is tricky but with a little practice it'll save you so much blending. If you're left handed you'll need left handed curved scissors by the way!!

Good Luck - I just can't live without my curved scissors!!

KnoxvlNailTek said:
I realize that most of the utilizers of this website are CND loyals, but I would like to offer this for what it's worth. I don't particularly care for blending or pre-blending full well tips either and have tried so many different brands on the market today with not much satisfaction. So, without offending the CND loyals, I suggest using NSI's Elation! Tips. They are a half well tip and are made with a different type of material (Polyflex) than the usual and standard ABS plastics. They blend in beautifully, easily, and quickly (time is money!). The Polyflex material is acetone proof (per the company) and does not crease (or "white-out") when trimmed or cut. Their cost is competitive and the tips come in Natural, White, and Clear. I highly recommend them to all. Try them out sometime and let me know what you think! :D
I've used the nsi elation white tips and i also think they are great! :)

Jenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back