Tips on keeping our own nails nice while doing nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
Hi all! Just wondering if there are any tips on keeping our own nails looking nice? I find that the acetone use really melts my nails away and I am fixing them constantly! Thanks! :green:

I wear Gel for just this reason- It's solvent proof. After that it's all a matter of avoiding them with a file :)

I wear Gel for just this reason- It's solvent proof. After that it's all a matter of avoiding them with a file :)
Me too and I never catch them with a file - but then I'm slow:)

I use hands down wipes for removing polish and wiping the nails with scrubfresh, it is a round cotton pad with a plastic backing that you hold so it protects your own nails from the chemicals hth

gel for me too. or if you really want l/p, sculpt the tips [at least on the most affected fingers ] as the acrylic wont melt as easily as plastic tips. a gel topcaot also helps.
and because i tend to catch some of mine when i file, i dont have square nails as they just become misshapen on the corners. instead i go for oval as they keep the shape better.

also i have them longish so that if i have to reshape them there is still enough length left to work with.

I wear mostly l&p and use Young Nails Finish...a gel top coat & I love it

I wear a non porous buff off gel too for the same reason....doesnt stop me filing the corners of my thumb though...:lol: x

Yup me to, I use Brisa for my own nails generally, or I just change my enamel every day!! lol :green:

i use a uv gel top coat over my liquid and powder nails to stop the acetone ruining them xx:green:xx

I either wear Brisa or use a gel topcoat on my l&p.

S

When I was in school our instructor told us to hold the cotton ball or pad between your fingers, like between the index and middle finger and that help you not melt your own, and also when you press the cotton ball and count to 10 in your mind and wipe it helps too! hth

When I was in school our instructor told us to hold the cotton ball or pad between your fingers, like between the index and middle finger and that help you not melt your own, and also when you press the cotton ball and count to 10 in your mind and wipe it helps too! hth

Exactly what I was going to say!
I've been doing this for 19 years now and it still amazes my customers how I don't ruin my own polish or nails!
I tell them the same thing, they don't seem to get it. They still come in with their fingernail polish a mess because they've taken off their toe nail polish.
They "were coming to me anyway".
The thing you must remember is to wait for the remover to do it's job. It will dissolve the polish for you.
Work smarter, not harder!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

i too wear gel.i use either perma gloss or or balance uv finish gel from nsi.there both fab.:)

Brisa gel for me too. Although I have tips on at the moment so im starting to melt the underside of the tip. I do still end up filing my thumb nails too.

Hands down pads for when I wear enamel.

Put your finishing gloss on the underside of the nail too, I keep mine almond shaped cos I file off too many corners when square!

What a great idea. So simple! Thanks cathie x

I wear UV Gel, and all my french's are under the UV Gel GLoss, so protected. I never have art 'on top' of my gel, always encased in the gel.
It's a buff-off gel, so acetone doesn't hurt it.

I also wear a flex wrap tape on my left index for when I'm filing, as I sometimes would catch the corner of my nail (my nails are LONG).
This helps to protect them too.

hth's

Latest posts

Back