Tips on taking pictures of your work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex_w84

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have done a quick search but couldn't find an answer so hoping someone can share some tips with me.

I am wanting to display my handy work on my FB page and website but my picture taking skills need somewhat improving before I dare do this as they make me look ammaturish (is that even a word?!)

As you can see from my album on here I cannot get a pro looking pic.

Please can some one give me direction? Hand poses, best light to use,flash or no flash, best background to show them off. I would like to keep them consistant.

Thanks in advance

B x

I once read an article on how to take great pictures of your nails but for the life of me I can not find it now, so sorry :o

The most and important thing I learnt from that wonderful article is all about the tulip setting on your camera. The macro icon on most digital cameras is represented mainly as Tulip or universal flower symbol. Set your camera to the Macro(flower) mode. This tells your camera that you want to be very close to the subject you are going to photograph and allows the lens to focus a very short distance.

I always used to take my pictures outside in natural light but as winter came I didn't feel like freezing my bottom off so I switched to taking my pics under the light in my kitchen. I never use a flash as I have never taken a nice picture of my nails with the flash on.

Also I try not to have anything to distracting as a background. I think the important thing is the nails and that they must be the main focus.

Ohh, thanks picchi, great tips there.

What about photographing clients hands? It's a bit harderto get them in the right position, all though most don't mind my nudging their hands this way or that, but I still find I can't get a decent picture.

Add to that that my digital camera seems to have packed in, I'm having to use my phone. Oh the shame! :o

Ohh, thanks picchi, great tips there.

What about photographing clients hands? It's a bit harderto get them in the right position, all though most don't mind my nudging their hands this way or that, but I still find I can't get a decent picture.

Add to that that my digital camera seems to have packed in, I'm having to use my phone. Oh the shame! :o

Claire you brought up a great point and I would love to know the answer.

I have been doing a few peoples nails of late and I have tried to photograph the nails but I get the worst pictures. Not of the nails as such but like you said it is hard to get them to position correctly, gracefully and in the best light.

I have to admit that it is my fault as I feel stupid and vain asking them to let me take pics of their nails. I should be more proactive but how the hell can I ask someone to make a relaxed, straight fingered fist under my kitchen light?!?!

Maybe having an area set up to take pictures so the client feels special and wants to show off their new nails and so is more likely to do a few pretty poses?

Make sure you watermark your photos before you put them on FB etc this will stop people sharing them and making out it is their work.

Yes, another good tip! Either pictures of your own or clients nails, all pics should be watermarked, I really need to do that with my own. Thanks for the reminder izzidoll!

I just never seem to find something I like with mine that I can re-create time and time again. Not a genius with art programs like that lol

Have your camera set to the macro setting for close-ups too, as the definition is much better.

Can anyone tell me how to watermark photos please,

Thank you xx

Look up on apps a free watermark app, it's great, I can position the watermark where and how large you want it :) HTH :)

I always use my iPhone to take pics of the nails I do, simply because I can then edit the photo with various apps, watermark with my logo via an app and then upload to Facebook via the app :D I don't think you need professional photographer standard pics to go on Facebook but using the various apps available To change light settings etc certainly helps your photos to look better than when you first take them

Kate x

For super easy online editing I used to use Picknick but unfortunately they are closing on April 19th *picchi cries*.

However I recommend this new site for easy simple editing (watermarks, resizing, effects, borders etc.) online: PicMonkey - Photo Editing Made of Win

You can also edit in google+, Aviary.com, instagram (iphone app) and many many more.

On my digital camera I use the Macro setting and never a flash.
But I mostly use my iphone because my digital camera is too hefty to carry around with me.

What I do is use a plain background. Either my wrist rest or base towel, or if its quite dimly lit I'll get them to put their hands on my UVlamp which is white, or a piece of couch roll to light up the background.
I've never really succeeded with clients holding an object, so I just get them to cross their hands, as in my avatar..(even though they are my own hands, photo taken by my 7yr old lol).

xx

I use the macro setting on my camera (mostly with a flash as I'm mobile and would feel rude asking to take a pic in clients garden :lol:) with my black towels as a background... unless it is a particularly dark colour, then I use a beige towel. When doing my own nails, I try to use props... I like the bamboo in my garden for this, I've even used the coffee machine!

Have a look at my facebook for some ideas of poses... I do one of each (hands crossed, one hand over the other and one hand alone) then see which is the best one when I get home.

I really need to watermark my images but that would mean deleting them off facebook and starting again :cry: then I'd lose all my lovely comments!

TipToe Mobile Nails | Facebook

Please excuse my work... it's not the best but I'm improving every day.

xxx

Latest posts

Back