Tips on using striping tape with Gelish/gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharny

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any tips on using a striping tape with gelish? How do you remove the tape without it lifting some of the gel polish off? If someone could give me a step by step i would be very grateful as most of the you tube vids use normal polish! :) xx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I usually top it off first, cleanse, striper tape, top it off again, cleanse :) hope this makes sense xx

I was actually practising this tonight... I use shellac and had one successful attempt and one not so successful! But I found that if you put striping tape on, apply polish, leave the polish to settle for a few minutes and then peel the tape off towards where you've painted it helps to stop it running. Then cure.

I'm sure there will be more experienced geeks that might give a better way to do this but this is the way I've read to do it somewhere and it (kinda!) worked for me. Just need more practise! :) not quite ready to do this on paying clients yet though! lol.

I do it the same way as loulou :) x

I've had a play with tape and cnd shellac and you can put tape on paint and cure and then take tape off or with foils that works too.

Thanks guys i put tape on then colour and cured, then another coat and cured, then peeled off tape, mostly it was ok but it seemed to pull up some of the gelish at edges. Im going to have another go and try not curing and then try curing first layer but not second, ill post back when i get best results :) x

Thanks guys i put tape on then colour and cured, then another coat and cured, then peeled off tape, mostly it was ok but it seemed to pull up some of the gelish at edges. Im going to have another go and try not curing and then try curing first layer but not second, ill post back when i get best results :) x

Yeah let us know how it goes :)

It didn't go so well :-( i think it just takes a lot of practice! I'll keep trying, but i find it better to cure the layers and then remove as otherwise it bleeds x

I've tried it successfully with Artistic colour gloss. I put striping tape, colour and cure, add next coat of colour remove striping tape very slowly then cure.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've tried it successfully with Artistic colour gloss. I put striping tape, colour and cure, add next coat of colour remove striping tape very slowly then cure.

I cant seem to get hold of the tape with a steady hand to stop it smudging! :-( x

I found it best to put your tape on and use a dotting tool to put the colour in the places you want by dabbing it in then cure and do another coat if needed. Cure again then peel off. That's what worked best for me :) x x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400568698.098227.jpg
The nail on the right with the white background and different colours is done with the tape and dotting tools xxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I found it best to put your tape on and use a dotting tool to put the colour in the places you want by dabbing it in then cure and do another coat if needed. Cure again then peel off. That's what worked best for me :) x xView attachment 65461
The nail on the right with the white background and different colours is done with the tape and dotting tools xxx

So do you mean go around the tape with the dotting tool, rather than painting over the tape? x

Yeah I dab it around and it doesn't seem to spread underneath that way xxx

Use tweezers to peel off the tape for a good grip.

I done these using gelish and striping tape. I did 2 colour coats, cured, put tape on, did contrast colour, cured, removed tape and used tio .... It didn't bleed or smudge ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400600208.952103.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400600240.871851.jpg

I don't have problems unless using the tape to create a different colour stripe underneath, i think ill just stick to using it to create straight lines and forget the rainbow effects :)

Latest posts

Back