Tips or Forms ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you use for these nails

• Tips

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Forms

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lunarstorm

Reaction score
Hi,

Me again , got loads of questions this week lol.

I would like you feedback on what you would use when doing an enhancement service on these nails. I'm torn between wether or not to use tips or forms when I do this clients nails.

Here is a picture she sent me of her nails.

nails001.jpg

Forms. Extend the nailbed with a cover pink and sculpt a short tip.

I don't think you could get forms on those nails... It looks like she's a nail biter and has inflamed swelling on her skin just past the free-edge there... Particularly on the ring finger. Hths

I personally would be pre tailoring tips and extending the nail bed with an Opaque Powder/Gel.

I would do forms but would customise them so they fit upto the nail, then extend the nail bed as Chickafish said. Have a look at youngs nails, Greg :Love: does a great tutorial for the bitten nail ( doesnt he Chick :lick: )

vicki x

You could extend the free edge with silk/fiberglass first and then do the forms or tips. Would definitely charge extra for that, of course.

Could try tips, but with her nails so far back, they may pop off.

She is definitely a biter, so as to whether she keeps them on or not is another major question.

Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Deffinately forms, extend the nail bed in a cover pink and sculpt a free edge but not too long... as others have said ;) xx

I would do forms but would customise them so they fit upto the nail, then extend the nail bed as Chickafish said. Have a look at youngs nails, Greg :Love: does a great tutorial for the bitten nail ( doesnt he Chick :lick: )

vicki x

:lol: he does! I love that method he uses with the forms where he cuts the oval in half. Works like a charm everytime.

"tickle tickle tickle" :lick:

Thanks for the feedback so far.

This lady used to bite her nails for years and she managed to stop biting them for a few years until around 8 months ago, when she was bite them all off when stressed. She now really wants to grow them out as she is getting married in August. We talked about the options in detail i.e natural nail care vs enhancements and she chose the enhancement option as she hates the look of them at the moment. She is adament that she will not bite her nails with the enhancements on ( think this is how she stopped last time ), so I've agreed to help her. I've made sure she knows that I can only do so much and it is down to her to care for her nails properly. I've also stressed what damage she could do to her own nails if she picks, bites the enhancements etc.

I am going to use a coverage pink to extend the nail bed and give her a small free edge as she is only going to have them to the length of the end of her finger ( hope I explained that right ).

I perfer to use forms myself but was not sure this was such a good idea with how bad her nails are, hence calling for advice from all of you more experianced geeks :hug:.

Sam xxx

Properly applied tips and then a make-over using opaque powders would look stunning . A properly applied tip and structured overlay will be strong and lasting ... But then ... You could also do the same look with forms too.

I always choose the option that easiest and quickest for me. ... In this case I would use the tip option and would keep the nails model length.

Well I went and did this lady's nails at 10 am today. I forgot to take my camrea, so took a photo using my phone. I used forms in the end, wether or not that was thr right choice I don't know. Looking at the photo, I can see a lot I'm not happy with but hopefuly I can correct that when she has her rebalance.

This is the first time I've had the chance to use Brisa on a real person (normaly practice with it on my nail trainer) since around may last year and it was my first biter, not sure if that makes any differance or if it's just me making an excuss for what I'm not happy with.

On the bright side, the cleint loved her nails and even said word for word " I expected them to look more false and thick but I really like that they look like my real nails" , so I'm at least pleased that she is very happy with her nails.

Also, her mum was there while I was doing the lady's nails and she has booked in to have her nails done as well at the end of Febuary! Now the mother, who I would guess is in her 50's to 60's, had enhancements put on 5 years ago at a salon. The salon left her with painful nail beds and two days after having the nails applied, she had a nasty infection in one nail. The infection was so bad that it has permenalty damaged one of the nails (at the matrix) and it has never been the same since. It felt so good to know that I helped restore this womens trust in nails techicians again, as she told me she had been too scared to let anyone near her nails again.

So while I may be a bit disappointed the how the nails turned out, I am really happy that the client loves her nails and that the clients mother is not scared to have her nails done by a nail techician after seeing how I worked.

I've attached the photo (runs and hides)

Sam xxx

Attachments

• Brisa on nail biter.jpg
    Brisa on nail biter.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 425
Well they look a lot better than the set I did last week ! My lady had an arguement with her boyfriend & really laid into her nails. They were so badly bitten it was incredibly difficult to work with. Swollen side walls, bulbious fingers etc.
I chose to use re-usable forms with a horseshoe form lipped onto the front of the metal form, because using anything else hurt her already tender fingers due to dermitisis... (Life long problem & she can only get on with Bio Sculpture). When she has her nails longer then her dermatitus isnt so bad because the nails tend to protect her finger pads...
I wish I hadnt let her talk me into giving her the length I did, but hey ho I did them.
Your set of nails look lovely. Whereas my set will definately benefit from a rebalance when they grow up a little -

I simply couldnt get sufficiently near the side walls without filing her skin (which is very fragile & inclined to bleed VERY quickly if I so much as accidently filed near it because of her dermatitis ) ... :0
My skills were really tested & I left thinking 'Ok they look 1000 times better but they really werent my best....

They look really lovely. I definitely think you made the right choice using forms. I really don't think tips would have worked so well with the bump of skin passed the free edge.x

I settled on the forms in the end as I have always tended to find them easier to use, I do know why but I do. So I thought I would stick with what I would normaly do (all be it with L&P lol).

I think I will use tips on the next biter I get to see how I get on with doing a biter with tips.

Guess I need to find what works best for me and that's only going to happen with more experaince.

Thanks for the votes and feedback everyone, it has given me a lot to think over.

Sam xxx

I settled on the forms in the end as I have always tended to find them easier to use, I do know why but I do. So I thought I would stick with what I would normaly do (all be it with L&P lol).

I think I will use tips on the next biter I get to see how I get on with doing a biter with tips.

Guess I need to find what works best for me and that's only going to happen with more experaince.

Thanks for the votes and feedback everyone, it has given me a lot to think over.

Sam xxx

They look lovely hun, good job :hug:

I've got a nibbler today. I've already seen her nails so I know they are not too bad.
I think I'm going to go with tips instead of forms this time just to see the difference.
Yours look lovely and neat :)
Vicki xx

I think they look lovely. Well done x

Latest posts

Back