Tips or Sculpts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Dinky Geek
Reaction score
Hi...
Can anyone one tell me which extentions are the strongest...tipped or sculpured?
I use acrylic at the moment and practicing with brisa but i would like to know regarding all three systems please.
Also by taking more of the well area out of the tip (ie pre-blending or cutting the well out) does this also make the enhancement stronger?
I have one or two conflicting teachings so would just like to know which is best to do?

Deni said:
Hi...
Can anyone one tell me which extentions are the strongest...tipped or sculpured?
I use acrylic at the moment and practicing with brisa but i would like to know regarding all three systems please.
Also by taking more of the well area out of the tip (ie pre-blending or cutting the well out) does this also make the enhancement stronger?
I have one or two conflicting teachings so would just like to know which is best to do?
Hi Deni:) I too would like to know the answer to this one....although I have found when doing my mums nails that when I tipped them they were more likely to come off.... now they are sculpted she hasn't lost any. Whether this makes sculpting stronger then when using tips I'm not sure but it seems that when you use tips less acrylic is adhering to the nail plate itself so when you knock them then the tip is more likely to sheer away?

i was told that a tip is a platform only, it is the acrylic that gives the strengh not the tip, i presume it is the same for gel.

Deni said:
Hi...

First of all, both types of overlays are MUCH stronger than the natural nail!!

When you use a tip, the use of adhesive (which is not as strong a bond as the bond that the product has with the natural nail) means that if the nail is banged or bashed, it will break at its weakest point ... where the tip is adhered to the free edge.

When the nail is sculpted, there is no weaker breaking point as the nail is all in one, so to speak. So you could say that sculpts are stronger.

The strength IS in the product not the tip .. as correctly stated above.

As always very grateful for your help guys...thanks.

I personally find sculpts much stronger (for the reasons already stated).

Hiya

Yep sculpts for me too!

any one who knows me will tell u that i won't get my tip boxes out unless the nail beds demand it; ie serious ski-jumps or cannibal nail biters!
& even then after a few rebalances if the problem has "grown out", i will continue with my performance forms.

lots of new clients to the salon r astonished when they see free formed nail enhancements, especially when they find that they are as strong ( if not stronger) than their previous tip & overlays.

i'm going to put the cat among the pigeons now...
i often hear from new clients that their previous tech that.. i don't do free-form sculpts because..
a) they won't suit your nails
b) they're not as strong as tips
c) that's the "old fashioned" way

are any of you guilty of making these kind of sweeping statements?

is it maybe because you're not as confident with this technique as you would like to be?

the benefits of sculpting are
1. reduce time of application by at least 1/3, ( if not 1/2), only when you've had the correct amount of training.
2. the biggest cost in your total product cost in a full set is your tips & adhisive, performance forms work out much cheaper.

while i'm on the subject...

do any of you know the saying... " your tips r getting old now, time for a new full set of tip & overlays."

during rebalancing, most of the many problems that occur;
curling on the free edge
free edge shape has worn away
1 finger has lost it's corner
etc...
would b better rectified by thinning the offending product down untill a new seam is found, (nb to ruth, do u remember this saying?!), applying a performance form & sculpting out new free edge.
so much quicker, & less time & hassle for your client.

so the moral of my story is...

read the geeks tutorial on supersonic sculptin, & then get yourself some training to go onto the next level.

liza xxx

I so agree with Liza, but hey then I always do............
If you are not confident in Sculpting then the Creative Illusions Class is not to be missed......
I dabbled with forms, or shall I say they stuck with me lol.............if you get the picture...
I had a ledge that a stork could have deliverd a baby on..............(German believe, like the gooseberry bushes here in UK)
One class withLiza and Layla and Tracy L. can vouch for this, my sculpts looked pretty good.......
So whats stopping you, the nails are stronger, application time is reduced and no curling...............and boy you can really pinch a fab c-curve and make them look the bees knees ......
Just my thoughts
HTH

i much prefer to sculpt, and hardly ever apply tips.

I'm only just starting out in a little room i'm renting in a sunbed salon, and every single lady that's come to me to 'try' me out is absolutely amazed at how i can 'make' a nail without gluing a tip on !! There are about 4 other nail salons in the town where i live and not one does sculpted nails.....
I can't understand it , cos i love sculpting them!!

mandy_moo_64 said:
i much prefer to sculpt, and hardly ever apply tips.

I'm only just starting out in a little room i'm renting in a sunbed salon, and every single lady that's come to me to 'try' me out is absolutely amazed at how i can 'make' a nail without gluing a tip on !! There are about 4 other nail salons in the town where i live and not one does sculpted nails.....
I can't understand it , cos i love sculpting them!!

When people don't sculpt nails it is because they CAN'T sculpt nails!! Otherwise they would do it. :biggrin:

However, lets not become sculptured nail snobs over this. Tips with an overlay are just as good a service and are very strong ... strong enough for 99% of clients anyway.

When tips came into the industry (we didn't always have them you know) it brought bazillions of new technicians into play because the majority of the shaping was already done for them and they never needed to learn to sculpt .. or so they thought. Tips ARE the more modern way if you look at it from a historical view point.

Those of you who don't have the sculpting skill yet should learn it. So useful. And if you can do a tip well, you can sculpt. BUT it doesn't mean one is not a good or even great technician if one chooses not to sculpt. Shall we say just an incomplete technician with not all the tools she/he needs to be fully equipped.

I can't wait to offer my clients sculptured nails. :D :D

About five years ago (before I did my training) I had a set of sculptured nails and I must confess that I didn't like them at the time. I was a nail biter and they were extremely thick and 'false' looking, although they were strong.

Three weeks ago I did my first sculptured nail on my thumb with gel and althougth it was abit thick at the free edge I was extremel;y pleased and It's still on at the moment.

Most of the salons and mobile techs round my area only offer tips and I'm hopeing to introduce the ladies of Oulton Broad to the fab world of sculpts :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Louise

plaoh said:
I can't wait to offer my clients sculptured nails. :D :D

About five years ago (before I did my training) I had a set of sculptured nails and I must confess that I didn't like them at the time. I was a nail biter and they were extremely thick and 'false' looking, although they were strong.

Three weeks ago I did my first sculptured nail on my thumb with gel and althougth it was abit thick at the free edge I was extremel;y pleased and It's still on at the moment.

Most of the salons and mobile techs round my area only offer tips and I'm hopeing to introduce the ladies of Oulton Broad to the fab world of sculpts :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Louise

Well no nail enhancement has to be thick, we all know that right? So the fact that the sculpted nail was thick was not because it was sculpted, but because the technician used too much product :biggrin:

FYI (for your information ) in this case for everyone's information ... lets all use the correct terms so we sound professional and are all 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

As technicians we apply SCULPTED nails or we SCULPT nails (this is a verb) ... we do not do sculptured nails (a sculpture is a noun). So many people say this incorrectly so just to set the record straight, plus I want you all to sound GOOD.

So glad i read this post Geeg i was just adding sculpted nails to my price list and i would have spelt it the other way.
THANX Caren :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back