To ALL extensionists..... a bit of a taboo subject

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astarstyle

Reaction score
Ok... quite a few of my clients have children, especially girls, of primary school age and we all know how... unfortunately.... that means that at at least one point in their time they come across... headlice!!!!

In 13 years of fitting extensions, luckily I have only had to remove twice and refuse once because of them but have also had a handful of clients who have opted for removal as a precaution because their child has come home infested. You know how it is... you only have to hear the word and you scratch like hell!!!

Anyway, what I am asking is... with all the advances in products, has anyone come across a treatment which can be used safely and efficiently whilst wearing extensions?

I know there is the whole issue of removing the lice and eggs and obviously the bonds would hinder that but has anyone had any success? Do you know the more I think about it the more i feel it wouldn't be possible :sad:

Maybe the only answer is removal and treat :rolleyes: x

I'm not clued up on extensions but just wanted to say I use organic neem oil on my children, it works at a hormonal level and stops them breeding, laying eggs and the eggs hatching so they just die out, it doesn't get rid of the eggs on the hair without combing but might be ok just to kill off whys there? It works well as a repellant too you only need two teaspoons of the stuff and you can put a little in shampoo and conditioner to keep them at bay! We haven't had a problem since I bought it! X

What's there not why's! Poxy iPhone!! Lol x

Fortunately, I've never been in this situation! As of yet, anyway! I've never really considered it but i suppose my first thought would be to remove and treat. I personally wouldnt consider using treatment on bonds. And the thought of taking out microrings with dead lice inside is making me squirm! haha x

I dont think there is any option but to remove and treat. Trying to sucessfully treat with the extensions still in, particularly with a lovely snuggly keratin bond for them to hide away in I would think is near impossible!

Head lice are repelled by teatree oil apperently, my mum used to use a teatree shampoo on me when I was little lol

But I agree that taking them out to treat would be a better option all round?

Xx

Latest posts

Back