to blow or not to blow?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about blowing on nails?

• Don't be silly, it's perfectly normal.

Votes: 31 6.1%
  • I will help you count the ways it is unsanitary, gag!!

Votes: 421 82.7%
  • Who cares.

Votes: 57 11.2%

• Total voters

FingerNailFixer

Reaction score
ok I am trying to find a nail tech in my town that could fix a nail for one of my clients should they need it when I am traveling and so to interview them I am getting a manicure and being up front about what I am doing. I got one this last friday and the tech blew on my nails constantly :eek: , getting dust off, drying enamel, etc. Now I am a bit of a germ phobe so I almost gagged and died envisioning all the little spit particles landing on my beloved nails! I left the appointment and washed my hands several times.

Now I repeated this story to a group of techs thinking they would sympathize and gag with me but they proceeded to say what a pain client I would be :evil:

So this leaves me to wonder is it expecting to much not to be continually spit on during a service as someone blows on my nails :cry: or do all nail techs save myself blow on their clients and I am just spastic? :rolleyes:

lol :biggrin: i use a little dust brush , i blow on myself though lol that sounds a bit odd dont it !!

Urgh!! Reminds me of going to birthday parties as a child & seeing all the other kids blowing the candles out & then being offered a piece with all their spit on it! Nice. Anyway, isn't that what the big fluffy brushes are for? Or if that doesn't work an air brush would get rid of it.

No way urggggggggggg yuck

dee said:
lol :biggrin: i use a little dust brush , i blow on myself though lol that sounds a bit odd dont it !!
Hypocrite that i am, i'd say exactly the same thing as you - wouldnt do it to a client but do it to myself!!

It surely is not only the bit about the spit but the idea is to keep the dust to a minumum - blowing just well erm blows it about into the clients breathing zone - well I suppose it is better there than in ours LOL.

But seriously - no way Jose

I'm a Star said:
No way urggggggggggg yuck
Just noticed your new name - love it!!! Go girl!!

Yuk !!!!!!!

All that spit landing on your nails and fingers when the tech's blowing you, so to speak!!!
I always use a dust brush to keep it from flying back in their faces!

mandy_moo_64 said:
Yuk !!!!!!!

All that spit landing on your nails and fingers when the tech's blowing you, so to speak!!!
I always use a dust brush to keep it from flying back in their faces!
I allways use the plush brush by NSI as i can sanitise it between clients..................talking of spitting .have you ever had a client that spits accidently on you (allways my cheeks for some reason) when they are talking to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW THAT IS GROSS:eek:
aMANDA

Lily said:
talking of spitting .have you ever had a client that spits accidently on you (allways my cheeks for some reason) when they are talking to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOW THAT IS GROSS:eek:
aMANDA
Oh God yes!!! Isnt that disgusting? And then you have to try and wipe it off without them seeing, don't you, cos any decent person would be mortified to know they'd spat on you !!!!

mandy_moo_64 said:
Oh God yes!!! Isnt that disgusting? And then you have to try and wipe it off without them seeing, don't you, cos any decent person would be mortified to know they'd spat on you !!!!
YES YES YES LOL LOL LOL

I do that all the time , when they are not lookin i wipe it off
Amanda

naturalnails said:
It surely is not only the bit about the spit but the idea is to keep the dust to a minumum - blowing just well erm blows it about into the clients breathing zone - well I suppose it is better there than in ours LOL.

But seriously - no way Jose

ewwwweeww no im one of those germaphobics dust with ya brush!!!
fiona you do make me laugh better in theres than ours :lol: :green:

When I was little - my mum would cut my hair (you know - the bowl cut thing) and she would always 'blow' my face; in fact I made her as the hairs would drive me nuts and the 'blowing' sort of cleared everything away!! I had the most horrendous habit of 'blowing' dust off my clients nails (when I was doing them) and really had to MAKE myself stop - but yes - even now, I blow on myself - it's just gotta be done!! :o

Confession time i nearly did blow on a client once then remenbered i was not doing my own nails cos i always blow my own but then its my spit my body lol

sequinto said:
Confession time i nearly did blow on a client once then remenbered i was not doing my own nails cos i always blow my own but then its my spit my body lol
You and me both, hunny!!! Mind you my confession is that when i do my mum's nails i do occasionally have a little blow! I find it gets it out of my system!!!

Carole Lindsay said:
You and me both, hunny!!! Mind you my confession is that when i do my mum's nails i do occasionally have a little blow! I find it gets it out of my system!!!

Mrs Geek and Carole...... you both have me ROLLING with laughter this morning!!!! :lol: :lol:

I used to be a big time blower wayyy back when I started :o .... and yep- I blow myself (omg TOO funny this topic!).... :green:

but for clients, I use the sanitizable plastic nail brushes (couldn't believe I saw Tom & Lee Ann using the same type in the Brisa video!!!!)...

and I always keep a few cans of 'air' on hand if I run out of clean brushes...

(you know those air cans that they sell to 'blow' the dust out of a computer keyboard!)

Blowing is a bigtime NO NO !! It's just NASTY!

Worse than a client speaking a spitting at you--- don't you hate it when a client uses the side of her hand to wipe her nose (somehow their noses get itchy when I tell them not to touch a thing... ??).........

and they give the hand back to you with a BOOGIE on it!!!!!!!! yuck, uck.. bleaaaahhhh :eek:

Thank HEAVENS that has only happened a couple of times.. but it is hard to not HEAVE!!!!!!!

Oh my god, I have trouble not heaving when I manage to remove loads of non living tissue in my PREP and it's all discoloured and yellowy green. GOD KNOWS what I'd do if I saw a bogey on there!!!!!

This thread had really really made my day!!!

You lot are hilarious!! :biggrin: Am I the only one with nice, clean well mannered clients?? I've never had a spit or bogie problem with my clients............now, my children........well thats another story!! LOL !

I also use the NSI plush brush, and I switch on a wee desktop fan to speed up drying times of either primers or polish!

love Fiona x.

This reminds me of when I was doing my training my sister did the course with me and we used to set aside Friday nights as a practise night. Our poor Mum was her 'client' and when we were learning to blend tips and she used to file away and lick her finger and then wipe it over the nail...eeeeeeeeekkkkkkk!!!!

...needless to say she never followed up the profession...!

You are a hilarious lot and I have throughly enjoyed your responses! I feel much more normal about my germiphobia, thanks!!! :green:

Latest posts

Back