To brush or not to brush.. that is the question!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
So for years i would only ever comb through conditioner in the shower.. I have since aquired a fantastic brush and cant stop combing my locks..
Some say NO because you damage the hair.. Some say yes because you pull the natural scalp oils through the length.. so what is it O' hairy Geeks? am i wrong in my new found passion to brush? will i break my ends and turn it to cotton wool as has been suggested or will my thin hairy finaly become a glossy maine?
:smack:
seriously though.. When i style my hair i use a paddle brush and low heat.. so would brushing knotty hair damage it? I just get sick of wacking it in a bun untill my next condition.
:)

So for years i would only ever comb through conditioner in the shower.. I have since aquired a fantastic brush and cant stop combing my locks..
Some say NO because you damage the hair.. Some say yes because you pull the natural scalp oils through the length.. so what is it O' hairy Geeks? am i wrong in my new found passion to brush? will i break my ends and turn it to cotton wool as has been suggested or will my thin hairy finaly become a glossy maine?
:smack:
seriously though.. When i style my hair i use a paddle brush and low heat.. so would brushing knotty hair damage it? I just get sick of wacking it in a bun untill my next condition.
:)
okay, are you using the brush while your hair is still wet? in the shower?
That is a no no.
The only time you would be actually pulling any natural oils thru your hair shaft is when it is dry.
It is better, if you have tangles, to use a large tooth comb and starting at the ends of your hair, work the tangles down and out.
If you ever take note of a hairstylist using a brush is when the hair is 99% dry and then we use it to smooth or curl.
Your hair is very fragile when wet.

i hardly used to brush my hair at all!!! lol. But even now its longer and ive started brushing it a few times a day (dry) and when ive washed it it hasnt made it bad. I dont bother combing in the shower, but i just gently brush it thru with a paddle brush before istart drying it off. Its never really tangled because thew conditioner gets rid of them!

SO yeah, personal experience for me is brushing when wet hasnt made a diff.

I use what we call here an Afro Comb in the shower to comb through conditioner.. when i wake in the morning rather then wash it every day i run a paddle brush through it dry and then hop in the shower.. then either let it dry naturaly or low heat dry it then style with my paddle brush/low heat! Yes i have been starting at the top and dragging the brush through.. obviously i should start at the bottom and work up then?

I have noticed that since i have started brushing my hair has become a bit more "fly away" whereas before i would dry it off while combing it with the "Afro" ((basicaly just a flat wide tooth comb)) it seemed alot smoother.. BUT that said i am loving feeling the brush on my scalp and wasnt it said years ago 100 strokes a day is the way?? :)

OH! :idea: I also treat my hair with conditioner once a week.. I put it on in the morning of my day off.. wrap it in a bun.. and then wash it out the next morning.. Is this better then the usual "leave on for 10-20 minutes" or does it just stop working? I swim daily so its a case of needing the extra condition!:green:

Thanks

I have a lovely little handbag size (Isinis) bristle brush and I love the feel of it on my scalp too,
as long as it doesn't scratch your scalp it should be fine ,

Some hairdressers think that if you over brush it can give split ends , which I can understand ,
But on the other hand it can help stimulate the blood flow to the scalp which in turn can encourage the growth cycle,

Another thing about brushing is that if you give your scalp and hair a nice gentle brush each night and morning and before you shampoo , It helps gets rid of any loose hairs which can block plug holes or fall out on your pillow and your clothes during the day ,
Now all you blonde's out there who like to wear black know exactly what I mean :green:
I love my brush and love the feel of it on my scalp I love having the confidence of not shedding hairs all day onto my clothes ect, I could never give it up,

A word of warning though it can also stimulate the sebaceous gland and make it hair a little greasy too . If it gets fly away go for a natural bristle brush instead .
One persons brush may not suit another persons hair, :hug:

Latest posts

Back