To buy or not to buy? GHD Straightener....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
louise said:
I have the ghd's they are fantastic, well worth the extra money!

Howerve am struggling to curl my hair with them any advice please?!?

Hi Louise,

Check out this link:

http://www.ghdhair.com/uk/news/promotion-dvd-demo.php

Its a free dvd from GHD with demos on styling using the irons.
In the meantime,
When i curl my hair with my GHD's, i start at the root, as you would when straightening, then as i pull them down i twist them. The same rule aplies as curling as straightening- move quite quickly- otherwise your hair will get too warm and you won't beable to do anything with it.
TIP: once you've ran the irons through in a twisting motion use your fingers to gently twist to enhance the curl (does that make sense?!?!). Also keep it to small sections and spray to set in between each section.

Hope that helps.

x

Hiya...just some gossip for you about GHD's...yesterday i did nails for a buyer of beauty electricks at Boots...i asked her why Boots don't sell GHD's and she said its because for everyone set they sell they have to give a set away free cos of the fact that they break down all the time....and Boots don't want the hassle. When they looked into it...they found that 85% of the sales of GHD's had been returned as faulty or damaged after 6 months and so they had to send a new set out to each customer...she thinks its was a dodgy batch that went out...(something to do with the cord not being strong enough,,custs wrap the cord round them when finished and this was making the wires come loose).,...so the moral of this story is "Don't wrap the cord round them after you've finished"....lol xxxx

NailStyle said:
...she thinks its was a dodgy batch that went out...

'Apparently' (how true i don't know) but, when they first came out there was a 'dodge batch' that went out, it was on BBC's Watch Dog, i remember it was something to do with the wire. I remember they asked everyone with that batch number to return them and exchange them. I think this is what gave them a bit of a bad rep as they had only just came known, it was about when Channel 4's The Salon was on.
I have had mine for nearly 2 years now and they've always been fine for me.

yES THIS IS TRUE NEVER WRAP THE CORD AROUND THE GHD'S I WAS TOLD THIS WHEN I BOUGHT MY DAUGHTERS FROM MY FRIEND THAT WORKED IN THE HAIRDRESSERS.

MY DAUGHTER NEVER HAS DONE BUT HER 1ST SET DID BREAK AFTER 14 MONTHS I SENT THEM BACK IN THERE BOX AND A LETTER THEY COULD SEE THEY STILL LOOKED LIKE NEW AS THEY HAD BEEN LOOKED AFTER EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD BEEN USED EVERYDAY.

THEY SENT A NEW SET BACK WITHIN 4-5 DAYS I WAS VERY HAPPY AS THEY WERE OVER 12 MONTHS OLD.

CAROLYN XXX

NailStyle said:
Hiya...just some gossip for you about GHD's...yesterday i did nails for a buyer of beauty electricks at Boots...i asked her why Boots don't sell GHD's and she said its because for everyone set they sell they have to give a set away free cos of the fact that they break down all the time....and Boots don't want the hassle. When they looked into it...they found that 85% of the sales of GHD's had been returned as faulty or damaged after 6 months and so they had to send a new set out to each customer...she thinks its was a dodgy batch that went out...(something to do with the cord not being strong enough,,custs wrap the cord round them when finished and this was making the wires come loose).,...so the moral of this story is "Don't wrap the cord round them after you've finished"....lol xxxx

Hopefully all the bad batch as been replaced by now though and they MUST have improved on quality since then?!

I dont want to be wearing a wig in the near future!

I'm on my second set of GHD's and they have both been ab fab hun!!!

the only reason I had to get another pair was because the first set I had were only the little thin ones anf it was taking me nearly 1 hour to do my hair as it is so long and thick , the fatter ones are a god send for thick hair! I can do it in ten mins now!!!

GO GET SOME!!!!!!!
THEY ARE WELL WORTH IT!

I noticed in a magazine that GHD stockists are doing a trade in for old straighteners. If you take in an old pair (any brand) you get £20 off the cost of GHD's ~ fab deal me thinks! Now anyone know of anywhere that sells straighteners for a couple of quid?

I have to say that i have natural spiral curly hair and nothing could straighten my hair until i bought KODO STRAIGHTNERS they are fantastic.
it is not down to make it's down to the wattage ,,,anything below 200 will not give you that heathy shine .

mine are 210w and every can not believe that i have naturally curly hair.

I have a friend that works for Sally's wholesalers and they don't sell GHD any more as they where having so many returned with overheating,dodgy cable and smell of burning.

Believe me I use my kodo every day and they are now 2 years old ,,,half the price and alot better then GHD

My GHD's blew up last thursday. Plugged them in and a massive flame come out of the cord and burt through until it fell off. I have had these irons for over two year so I guess they were one of the earlier ones.

As i could not live with out them I when and brought a new pair last saturday and used the £20 promo with the old burnt out ones. I noticed that the new ones had a far longer hard plastice contection thing on the cord where it goes into the tong than my old ones, so they must have modified them because of the problems on the old ones.

I would recommend anyone to buy them. I have the most out of control frizzy curly hair and when I tell people they dont belive me, they think I have naturally straight hair!

I would def recommend them - Ive had mine nearly 4 years now and have had no probs with them at all. Best £100 I ever spent!

I have just bought myself a new set and love them!
We have just had a stock of GHD in our salon they are 95 but if you trade in your old straiteners you get 20 of your set, not a bad i thought, they come with a full guarantee too.
we use them all the time in the salon.

xxxxxxxxxxx

i have some GHDS and there the best thing i have ever brought xxx

I couldn't live with out my Ghd's.
I have tried curls and they look fantastic but if you get them, get the hair oil too. It will protect your hair from the heat.

Natasha x

Jeez theres some old threads getting brought back to life tonight!!....
I know I won't be the only one that does this....but don't you spend all day at work wondering if you REALLY switched your staighteners off...or will there be a Fire Engine outside your smouldering rubble of a house when you get home?....I do all the time....and yet yesterday I didn't....then I came home and noticed that I had...they had been on for 8 hours...Thank god they are GHD that came with the heat resistant mat in the rollbag....or it would have been curtains for me!!

i LOVE MY ghd'S ESPECIALLY FOR MY DAUGHTERS THICK HAIR, BUT MY HAIRDRESSER RECENTLY TOLD ME I SHOULD SEND THEM BACK AS THEY ARE NOT GETTING HOT ENOUGH.

TO CURL TAKE A STRAND OF HAIR AND WRAP THE HAIR AROUND IT LIKE A TONG THEN SLOWLY PULL IT DOWN THE HAIR, LIKE YOU WOULD TO MAKE A PIECE OF RIBBON CURLY TO PUT ON A PRESENT, THEN TWIST IT WITH YOUR FINGERS, GREAT, DID IT FOR MY DAUGHTER B4 SHE WENT OUT TONIGHT.

MY HAIRDRESSER SAID IF YOU WANT TO MAKE REALLY TIGHT CURLS WRAP A PIECE OF HAIR AROUND THE POINTED METAL END OF A COMB AND HOLD IT IN THE GHD'S FOR A FEW SECONDS, NOT TRIED THAT MYSELF THOUGH.

got some ghd,s for mothers day...brilliant, i have thick wavy hair and they straighten without having to go over twice

I have ghd's and they r fab...worth every penny and a bit more!!! Honest! They do pink ones aswell which I would love!!!!

they are a deffinate must have

You're all going to think I'm mad but I had a pair of black ones but when I found out they have the pink ones out I went out and bought them coz I just love pink! lol I sold my black ones to my friend. But love my ghds as you can see on my photo my hair is curled with the ghd's I don't know how to do it myself my hairdresser did it for me! Although if I knew how to do it I wouldnt b able to reach the back I think!

Latest posts

Back