To buy or not to buy? GHD Straightener....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clairelee69 said:
if i were you i would get Kodo straighteners. i had some GHD's and they broke so i went to the warehouse and they told me to try Kodo ones.

Kodo is the brother of GHD. they are exactly the same as GHD straighteners but they have the Kodo sign. i think in a way they are better than GHDs and they are also cheaper., around £55

I use GHD but a client I had this week was chatting she is a female barber and said when they run out she could get me some of the kodo for 50 says they are great and that all her friends have converted to them. Im still happy with my ghd, but they are five years old so dont envisage they will last much longer. sorry not really any help - this is the wine talking

I've had mine about 18 months they are fab as have got naturally curly hair and i like my hair straight.

One warning though i have very fine hair and i have snapped my hair off on one side from straightening it too much, i have been advised by my hair dresser to use a scalp serum to increase hair growth on this side and i should only straighten my hair when i go out, so now i leave it curly most of the time but apparently big curls are in this summer.

Jue xxx

They are defo worth it ive had mine over 4 years and i only just need a new pair im sure cheaper ones would have blown up by now!

jac extreme said:
i LOVE MY ghd'S ESPECIALLY FOR MY DAUGHTERS THICK HAIR, BUT MY HAIRDRESSER RECENTLY TOLD ME I SHOULD SEND THEM BACK AS THEY ARE NOT GETTING HOT ENOUGH.

TO CURL TAKE A STRAND OF HAIR AND WRAP THE HAIR AROUND IT LIKE A TONG THEN SLOWLY PULL IT DOWN THE HAIR, LIKE YOU WOULD TO MAKE A PIECE OF RIBBON CURLY TO PUT ON A PRESENT, THEN TWIST IT WITH YOUR FINGERS, GREAT, DID IT FOR MY DAUGHTER B4 SHE WENT OUT TONIGHT.

MY HAIRDRESSER SAID IF YOU WANT TO MAKE REALLY TIGHT CURLS WRAP A PIECE OF HAIR AROUND THE POINTED METAL END OF A COMB AND HOLD IT IN THE GHD'S FOR A FEW SECONDS, NOT TRIED THAT MYSELF THOUGH.

I like the sound of that - will have to try it on my daughter, i didn't know you could curl with them and she is always asking for spiral curls.
Mine are defo hot enough - the amount of times I've burnt my neck which blisters and ends up looking like an icky!!

Without doubt they are the best - I am a authorised dealer for GHD so if you would like a pair I should be able to sell them to you at a good price.

There is a technical reason for them being the best.

Basically everytime the little flashing light on them it is sending a pulse up the arms of the irons to a platinum plate that sits behind the cermaic plate (platinum is obvioulsy expensive - hence the reason GHDs are pricey). This constant pulse insures that the heat retains at 210 degress, some other irons can get to 210 degrees, but the minute they touch your hair that is cooler they loose heat, hence the reason you have to keep going over the hair whereas with GHD irons you do not.

Hope this helps convince you that you would not be wasting your money.

My stylists and I use them in my salon all the time - GHD is also a good company to deal with and you never have a problem with them being fixed or replaced.

I have one pink pair left if anyone is desparate for a girley pair!!!!!!!!

They can even iron afro hair.

My whole family know that in the event of a fire, you grab the dog, cat and my GHD's:lol:

i have not read all the replies on this. BUT THEY ARE TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY.

because i ride my bike to work and have to do my hair at work after i've had a shower, and there are no plugs in the changing rooms (or at least not near the mirror) i bought a portable ceramic hair straightener that heats to 200 degrees (which is more than the GHD i think). won't say the make, but very common "professsionals use it" one (not Braun). have to say it is CR@P!!!! when are GHD going to bring out a gas portable one? i had a very bad hair day at work yesterday!!!

Don't buy ghd's,as a proffesional hairdresser my opinion is that they are over rated and over priced.

There are many other's that are better and cheaper,eg,kodo,american crew(fab ones) and fhi (this stands for f****** hot innit.Fhi are avail.able in black or pink and ypu can expect to pay approx £75.00 (cheaper at the wholesalers) they heat up to 230 degrees,wich is hotter than most on the market and have variable temperature.These are an absolute must for me,i even have a pair for me and a pair for my clients.Pm if you need any more help or info.HTH X X X

they are absolutely a must - I don't know how I lived with out them before! I have very long hair and if you do too I'd reccoment the spray to use before the GHD as this will protect your hair from the heat...

River - I've tried the link and keep getting the homepage too. My guess is that we're a bit too late and the promotion is over now :cry:

*edit* Sorry! I've just noticed that the message that girl wrote giving the link originally was written last year! So yes - that promotion will most definately be over now! :)

Yuri said:
River - I've tried the link and keep getting the homepage too. My guess is that we're a bit too late and the promotion is over now :cry:

*edit* Sorry! I've just noticed that the message that girl wrote giving the link originally was written last year! So yes - that promotion will most definately be over now! :)

Doh ! :smack: That would be it then.

Never thought to actually check when this thread was started .....

River

what is best recommended then:

GHD
Cat/Kat
Kodo

I have a mullet sort of hair cut & they are wicked my hubby treated me to mine i got the medium ones. My hair looks wicked when i do my hair for going out bop nites!! even still there the nxt day so less heat on my hair last twice as long.

bbfn dazzle:)

I would go for FHI every time,they are the best i have tried and get used on a daily basis for my clientel.

Been to the wholesalers today and they worked out about £62.00 inc vat.

My strong advise is to steer clear of ghd,people recomend them as they are the most well know,this does not mean they are of the best quality or value.

Hth x

JUST BEEN INFORMED BY ADVIA1 THAT THIS IS A VERY OLD THREAD,I NEVER LOOKED,DID YOU ? PMSL WHEM SHE PM'D ME !!

Adiva,

Did you buy the GHD's in the end ? If so, what do you think of them ?

River

ADiva1 said:
Does anybody have or used a GHD hair straightener?

I complimented someone about how lovely her hair looked and she told me she uses a GHD straightener!

They are pricey too! Are they worth it? Are there any products similar to them?

i have a pair of the smallest GHD irons i find them great. a bit expensive !!:rolleyes:

WELL IF YOU ALL DID A SEARCH ON GOOGLE YOU WOULD FIND OUT THAT YOU CAN GET GHD'S FOR £76.00!!!!

Do you all want the link?

This thread is from August!

Did you get them in the end?

I have had mine for about 4 years, great invention.

Latest posts

Back