To change or not to change?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissCupcake

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Looking for some advice....

I have been using Shellac for a year now, and although I do like the colours and the look, I do sometimes wish that it looked thicker, more like a gel.

I have been looking into and researching Gelish, as I have heard some pretty good reviews about it.

just looking for some advice and honest options from people who use Gelish and if you use it with just the Foundation Gel or do you use it with the builder gel too?

Any help and advice welcome! :)

I don't find it any thicker than Shellac. If I want it to have a thicker finish to give strength I use the Shellac over a builder gel. Hope this helps x

I love gelish. I use structure with it and it gives the nails some strength and added support. You can do a second layer of TIO if you want them to be thicker.

Hi!! I would highly recommend Gelish. It has been fantastic for my business, me & my clients love it! It's got a larger range of colours than Shellac so there's something for everyone & so many layering opportunities!
As said above an extra coat of Top It Off would be thicker & I also use Gelish Structure Gel to give added strength & support. This does look like a gel overlay such as bio or Calgel. Take a look at the Gelish lovers group xx

I use builder gel with my shellac for my problem clients with good results, I do shellac as normal then add builder. I did try the other way round but it didn't work for me x

I have been using Shellac for a year now, and although I do like the colours and the look, I do sometimes wish that it looked thicker, more like a gel.

I have been looking into and researching Gelish, as I have heard some pretty good reviews about it.

just looking for some advice and honest options from people who use Gelish and if you use it with just the Foundation Gel or do you use it with the builder gel too?

Hi,
I use OPI GelColor and am going to buy some Gelish today as I feel Gelish may be the best system as everyone raves about it.
Some Geeks will tell you that all Gel Systems arent much different but I personally think they are even if the difference is ever so small.
I know Gelish do a Mini Basics Kit, If I was you I would purchase that and maybe a colour and have a try. I know Gelish might do mini bottles of colour but I think they were a bit expensive.
Truth is though if your already thinking about changing systems then I believe you should. Ive been humming and harring for ages and then realised I wouldnt be thinking about changing systems if I was entirely happy with my current system. You can always run both Shellac and Gelish alongside each other x

I use both shellac and gelish for my clients, they are different products so both have their strengths and weaknesses. I would say I use more gelish but that's mainly down to the colour choices :)

I'm a mum, bt and nail tech and maid lol gelish on myself lasts four weeks with no structure though every client is different and I am a baddie I never wear gloves lol

Its definately the wrong way round there. I have shellac and did have gelish but got rid while I could. Gelish was so much thinner that shellac, and it didnt soak off like shellac does. You can add another coat of shellac for extra strength whether thats colour coat or another topcoat, its ur choice. You have to buff off the gelish topcoat first and then it was a nightmare to get off ruining my nails. Shellac has a very good name for a reason and people ask for it by name. Gelish can just be bought at any beauty suppliers so thats not good as well, everyone will be doing it soon. Dont change to gelish, stick with the best. X

Its definately the wrong way round there. I have shellac and did have gelish but got rid while I could. Gelish was so much thinner that shellac, and it didnt soak off like shellac does. You can add another coat of shellac for extra strength whether thats colour coat or another topcoat, its ur choice. You have to buff off the gelish topcoat first and then it was a nightmare to get off ruining my nails. Shellac has a very good name for a reason and people ask for it by name. Gelish can just be bought at any beauty suppliers so thats not good as well, everyone will be doing it soon. Dont change to gelish, stick with the best. X

In another thread you are mixing brands by adding Mani-q clear gel under your Shellac for strength :eek:

I think most would disagree with you that Gelish is thinner than Shellac. Shellac looks like a polish when applied and Gelish looks like a gel. Gelish is stronger (in my experience) and has its own strengthening product (Structure) if you need more strength. As far as thickness goes, I really don't think there is a massive difference.

The only beauty supplier that stocks Gelish (as far as I know) is Sallys. Sallys have always stocked OPI and it hasn't affected that brand.

Many of us have found that you do not need to buff off the topcoat with Gelish and, if removed properly, it certainly does not ruin nails.

If its extra strength you want for certain clients, personally I would look at adding a second brand in total rather than mixing systems.

There are many techs running Gelish and Shellac along side each other. They are both excellent products but they are different products that cannot really be compared :hug:

Last edited:
I use both Shellac and Gelish. H&NH just came out with a LED curable hard gel. I have used it on my clients for extra strength before Shellac or Gelish. What is great about it is that it cures in 30 seconds with the LED light. Its much quicker than UV cured hard gel. It comes in 3 different pinks (builders), a French white, a clear builder and a clear gel that has a thinner viscosity. I did a set of pink and whites on my natural nails in 45 minutes. I was so smooth, I didn't need to do any filling afterwards. It normally takes me 2 hours for p&w on myself. It was definitely worth the investment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I only ever use Gelish. Never had any problems with it. Love it!

Latest posts

Back