To cut or not to cut - cuticles!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In college we were taught to cut off the eponychium. Eeeekkkk... But this was in 2003. I trained with Bio at a later date after taking a break from beauty, & learnt NOT to cut!

Xx

i trained in 2010 and the college taught us to cut off the excess cuticle. so glad i found salon geek and discovered its not necessary!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

College also taught to cut off cuticle. In 2007. Luckily I was working in a salon as I trained and she taught me otherwise :)

Laura💋

I was taught to cut at college, but luckily I have discovered SG :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I trained 2003 & was trained not to cut. It makes me shudder to think of cutting.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is there a link to an article or anything that I can put on my Facebook page - I am being asked all the time by clients about why I don't cut 'the cuticle'?!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sooooo glad I found this topic! I was feeling so down and out this week as I unusually got THREE European woman come see me and were almost devastated and very clearly unhappy after their manicure when they asked me why I didn't cut their cuticles. When I explained why, they all told me they had been getting their nails done for years IN canada and never even had to ask for their cuticles to be cut. I was starting to wonder if I had been educated the wrong way and if all along all my clients were disappointed that I was doing their nails all wrong hahahha. (My schooling was done in 2009).

Ooh I'm glad I spotted this thread! I'm currently training in hair in Aus, but I trained in beauty a few years ago which included nail extensions, mani/ pedi etc and was always taught to cut the cuticle! This always irked me though :/ I didn't think it was right (hated having it done myself) and hated doing it. Nails were never my 'thing ' though, and I stopped doing them after I finished qualifying. So great to know it wasn't just me being paranoid about cuticle cutting lol on a side note, no we do not need to patch test in Aus for eyebrow/lash tint. It is a recommendation though, and insurance will not cover you if you do not do it and there is an incident. I'm pretty sure it was next year though that the laws change (at least in Victoria) and all nail techs need to be qualified to practice in my state which will be brilliant :) far too many 'budget' nail bars here operating!

This is one of the reason I'm absolutely meticulous about my own cuticle care. Cuticle Eraser every night, regular solar oil + hand cream throughout the day and regular manicures with no cutting. My cuticles are perfect. Thin as possible, really neat and no hangnails, redness, etc.

It's the best persuasion tool if you come across a client who asks/insists for cutting of the eponychium. Yes you can explain all the hows and why nots and science bits but really the client is just interested in the end result.

Demonstrate you can achieve an even better result and their objections melt away. I also have a before picture to show that it isn't just that I have naturally great cuticles (they really are quite terrible if I leave them alone for a few weeks!) for any really skeptical clients!

It is also great to show why clients must follow their aftercare advice so then helps with retail.

Too often on here and in real life I see techs with great nails but terrible cuticles. It's a massive bug bear of mine!!

I really struggle with mine!

Latest posts

Back