To do list before setting up business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie3384

Reaction score
I am getting way ahead of myself but I am a list maker and I very much like to know what I'm doing in advance! I've decided upon what brand and what training I want, and whilst that's all sorting itself out, I want to just get everything else rolling so that when I am ready to start taking clients, everything's as it should be and I feel less stressed...

If you can help answer any of my questions, I'd be really grateful (I'm UK based, I know this makes a difference for some of my questions).

Equipment
I have been reading up on hygiene and wanted to check that this would be acceptable. As I'll be working part time in the evenings I thought if I had around 5 sets of nail tools that have been cleaned with soap and water and sprayed with Mundo in their own individual small clipped pot (IKEA type things) then each new client would have a fresh set, when it's been used, put back in the box and clean with soap and water at the end. I have also read about giving each client their own file stored away - I think this could be a good idea. Is all this acceptable for keeping things hygienic? When I was at college I remember using those little glass pots of barbicide but reading up on here, that doesn't seem to be the done thing anymore.

Nail files
I'm sorry this is such an utterly stupid question, but there are SO many nail files out there. Could someone please explain what the differences are between them all, and which ones I should be buying. I don't remember being taught any of this in college - I am sure (or I hope!) I will be taught it when I do my CND course. For natural nails, would a 240/240 be the best?

Consultation and record forms
I've been to a few nail technicians and never once filled out any forms. Please could someone let me know what the requirements are, and how this information should be stored (I'm guessing in a lockable filing cabinet for data protection). I'm only going to be offering natural nail services. Could anyone share any examples of theirs?

Keeping track of money in for tax purposes
How do you all keep track of how much you've earned for tax purposes? If I am letting HMRC know I am self employed (as well as being employed full time in my main job) I want to make sure everything is done correctly and have proof of how much I have earned through this job.

I hope people don't think I am utterly incompetent - I'm really not, but this is all new to me, and I want to set up everything absolutely properly.

Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

R x

I think you’re correct in most that you’ve already worked out. I’ve never used mundo spray so not sure if that sanitises your tools so hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Re consultation forms...check your college course work as there will probably be one in there and you do need one for each client. Your insurance provider will stipulate this.

240 grit for natural nails is perfect.

You can buy an accounts ledger or download an app to keep track if income and expenditure.

Try not to get too stressed it’s a great job. Good luck!

Re consultation forms...check your college course work as there will probably be one in there and you do need one for each client. Your insurance provider will stipulate this.

Thanks for your reply! I did my college course in 2007 and don't have my files anymore :-( I'll have a google and see if I can find any. Do you all keep record cards as well for each appointment?

Thanks for your reply! I did my college course in 2007 and don't have my files anymore :-( I'll have a google and see if I can find any. Do you all keep record cards as well for each appointment?

Yes and it’s handy if someone comes back for a repair or wants the same colour they’ve had previously.

Nothing wrong with planning ahead!

I personally think 5 sets of tools is overkill. Buy no more than 3 sets and possibly try a couple of different brands/types to help you decide which is your preferred brand. You can clean between clients very easily and you'll notice if something goes missing with 3 sets. I have some great OPI gel removers/nail prep tools which I buy from an online wholesaler as I don't have an OPI account - these turned out to be very theft attractive. I find that one is always mysteriously mislaid when I have 5.

Mundo spray over washed and scrubbed tools isn't thorough enough - you need to soak your tools afterwards for at least 5 mins or according to the manufacturers instructions. Barbicide solutions need changing daily, Mundo do a soak concentrate which lasts 5 days, but you do need to be really careful when you mix as its powerful stuff. Rinse your soaked tools and dry them carefully to protect against rust. Then store them in food storage boxes with airtight lids. I have a uv cabinet which I store my tools in, I switch it on every night for 20 mins.

For tools which you can't scrub, like files, you can use Mundo spray.

I prefer using a single use nail file pad (for toes) and glass files which I can properly sanitise for fingernails. I sell them as a retail item so I've always got spares if I break them, mine are guaranteed for life for personal use, mine do go blunt in professional use, but as I get them from a small company in Prague I don't bother to return them - I've never had a client return them.

I only use cardboard files to file off gel polish, so they never touch a client's skin. Then I spray them. I reuse these on different clients a few times and chuck them when each end and side is scruffy.

I don't store individual nail files for clients as there's no need for my set up, but I do have client sets of facial pads for electrical facials. I keep these in individual grip seal plastic bags with a business card sized piece of blank card inside with the client name on. I keep these in a plastic food box which is the perfect size for the width of my bags in alphabetical order. I don't have dividers as I just flip through. Clients really like seeing that each client has their own set so I keep the box out on show.

Mundo spray over washed and scrubbed tools isn't thorough enough - you need to soak your tools afterwards for at least 5 mins or according to the manufacturers instructions. Barbicide solutions need changing daily, Mundo do a soak concentrate which lasts 5 days, but you do need to be really careful when you mix as its powerful stuff. Rinse your soaked tools and dry them carefully to protect against rust. Then store them in food storage boxes with airtight lids. I have a uv cabinet which I store my tools in, I switch it on every night for 20 mins.

I’m so confused about all this disinfecting business. I’m UK based and I know different countries have different rules.
I’ve read that washing with soap and water and then spraying and letting air dry is enough?
I get your point about 5 sets being too much so wondered if this would be a better option...
3 sets of tools stored in airtight containers each. After each client, I would dust off any muck from the tools before putting in the Mundo rapid solution for 5 minutes - take out and let them dry before putting them back in an airtight container. I’ve read that the rapid can be left for up to 5 days as well.
Nail files I can spray with the Mundo spray and then reuse? Or spray and keep in a bag for each individual client... or not spray at all and just keep for each client.

I don’t have access to a UV cabinet.

I’m sorry if I’m not right - I’m doing my best to educate myself and get it all right and I know good hygiene is so important.

I’m the uk the tools need to be sanitised not sterilised so scrubbing in hot soapy water then submerging according to instructions in what solution you use is fine.

The issue with spraying is that you can spray a flat surface thoroughly but there's no way to be sure that you're getting into knooks and crannies for tools, so you soak tools and spray files. You rinse off soaked tools but not sprayed files and then leave tools and files to air dry before storing away.

You can't sanitise dirt so you don't dust off before soaking - you scrub in soapy water until all visible debris is removed and you consider them clean. Then you soak. As you need to wash your hands between clients, it doesn't take any time to scrub your tools, you can keep a scrubbing brush (I have a nice silicone brush intended for baby bottles) under the sink with a bottle of fairy. Clients never mind if you excuse yourself for a moment to wash your hands.

Nail files need to be sprayed and then left for manufacturers guidelines for germs to be killed before reuse, usually around 5 mins. You should spray them whether you keep them for individual clients or not as you shouldn't save all the dust and bacteria from service for the client's next visit, it's not hygienic.

I didn't have access to a uv cabinet either until I bought one. They cost less than £100 off eBay. I bought the ones that look like a baby oven, the plastic drawer ones break instantly and are a bit crap looking tbh. You don't need one, they're a nice to have, not an essential - you can use them for files as long as you turn your files over - so no need to spray. Investing in one or two nice pieces of kit, that clients can see, make a point of difference between you and the walk-in nail bars where service and standards are low. We had some very negative press for nail bars where I work - there have been prosecutions for child trafficking and modern day slavery as well as poor hygiene and money laundering , so anything that I can do which makes my working practises different to my competitors is important.

Latest posts

Back