To hire someone, or take a break and enjoy this time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buxom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am 31wks pregnant renting salon space, and although my intentions were to work as close to my due date, low blood pressure has me in near fainting spells with clients every day. I fear my time is coming to an end.

I am stressed and torn with my options. Although most of you will likely say, it's a personal choice and you can't tell me how to do it, I'd really appreciate your input.

Here are the variables:

Rent is extremely low $250/month Canadian in a basement space I do not love.
Rent is extremely fair for the area I work in.
I am in a month to month contract, and am fortunate that working is nonessential for my family income.
I am due October 22.
My shop is 20 minutes away from home.

Do I:
Hire someone to take over clients for me and deal with accounting and appointments from home with baby.

Do I tell landlord I won't be doing any work October, November, December, and suck it up in January and go back.

Or do I tell them I'm done in October, take the time I need and set something up at home in January or later?

I know only I can really answer this, I've just spent a significant amount of time building up a clientèle, and feel slightly guilty I don't want to acknowledge my buisness for a bit.

Any ideas or opinions are greatfully welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone,

I am 31wks pregnant renting salon space, and although my intentions were to work as close to my due date, low blood pressure has me in near fainting spells with clients every day. I fear my time is coming to an end.

I am stressed and torn with my options. Although most of you will likely say, it's a personal choice and you can't tell me how to do it, I'd really appreciate your input.

Here are the variables:

Rent is extremely low $250/month Canadian in a basement space I do not love.
Rent is extremely fair for the area I work in.
I am in a month to month contract, and am fortunate that working is nonessential for my family income.
I am due October 22.
My shop is 20 minutes away from home.

Do I:
Hire someone to take over clients for me and deal with accounting and appointments from home with baby.

Do I tell landlord I won't be doing any work October, November, December, and suck it up in January and go back.

Or do I tell them I'm done in October, take the time I need and set something up at home in January or later?

I know only I can really answer this, I've just spent a significant amount of time building up a clientèle, and feel slightly guilty I don't want to acknowledge my buisness for a bit.

Any ideas or opinions are greatfully welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Your health and that of the baby must always come first, nails and clients do not even come close in order of priority, so my vote is to give notice and close the business until further notice.

Reading between the lines, I think you're leaning towards leaving but the guilt is holding you back. Do not feel guilty for having and living your life, you are starting a whole new chapter, having a baby is an amazing thing to do. Don't think for one minute that your clients wouldn't abandon you without a backwards glance if their lives took a different turn in some way or another.

Once you have the baby and get settled you can see how you feel, there will always be work for a good nail technician.

Put your feet up and rest, and good luck for the rest of your pregnancy

If you want to take the time off to spend with your family then do it.
I took a 5 year career break that lasted 15 years and don't regret it one bit.
You are only talking about a few months so you might find your clients will come back to you on your return.
Good luck whatever decision you make xx

Congratulations! So if you don't love the space I'd consider letting it go & using the option of setting up at home in a few months when baby is here :) if you need the clients for a little spending money or a break from daily life, or have favourites you don't want to let go there's nothing stopping you doing a bit at home or their houses for the next year or so, I wouldn't hold on to the basement thing if you have the option to set up at home, when baby comes you'll probably find it easier to work around him or her at home anyway, you could do evenings to start off when hubby is home or days where grandparents are around to babysit etc, breaking you back in gently :)

If you have a little extra money to cover rent then if it were me...

I would keep my options open till the baby came, hold onto the place but take time off as health comes first... see how that goes see how I feel and then make a decision after that.

yes you may lose a few months rent in the lead up to baby but will give you thinking space and its too hard to predict how you will feel at the moment

Your health and that of the baby must always come first, nails and clients do not even come close in order of priority, so my vote is to give notice and close the business until further notice.

Reading between the lines, I think you're leaning towards leaving but the guilt is holding you back. Do not feel guilty for having and living your life, you are starting a whole new chapter, having a baby is an amazing thing to do. Don't think for one minute that your clients wouldn't abandon you without a backwards glance if their lives took a different turn in some way or another.

Once you have the baby and get settled you can see how you feel, there will always be work for a good nail technician.

I agree with this. I often think about what to do when my lease comes to an end in a couple of years & the guilt of abandoning my clients is the hardest thing, but I totally agree that when their lives change, you suddenly don't hear from them for months, if ever, so that has put that into perspective for me too!! Thanks Trinity!
I think you should take the time to enjoy your family and have a rethink next year when you are settled. You probably won't miss your basement space at all, but could easily set up somewhere else if thats how you feel.

Thank you for this. You managed to cover all of my worries. Much appreciated!

I should have mentioned finding a spot like mine in the neighbourhood so cheap would be hard to come across again...

Do exactly what you want. I agree you seem to be leaning towards packing it in. We have a lot of clients but they only have one of us so if they stop coming to us, they don't think it's a biggie. As we have a lot of them, we see it as massive to stop treating them.

As the mother of two very special babies, now 23 and 21, I would say enjoy your baby as you can't go back.

However, it may be an idea to keep all your clients details handy for the future. You may be a mum who wants to do a bit of part time work and have the support to do this.

Don't burn your bridges, but make your bridges take you where you want to go.

Good luck. Motherhood is my single biggest and best achievement and I did that [emoji4]

Vic x

I am in exactly the same position, I have been toying with the idea that I pop a couple of one off dates for December then return one day a week in Jan until I feel I want to work more. I feel guilt towards my clients but fear loosing them if I have someone else in. I am due 28th October but am having an elective section which will be on the 21st.
Good luck, let me know what you decide!!! Xxx ultimately the health of u and your baby is the most important thing but it's hard giving something up that u have worked so hard for xxx

Latest posts

Back