To my surprise I've landed a job trial, now I'm petrified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkletips

Reaction score
last week I fronted up to a busy salon that's just down the road but sooooo busy she needs a nail tech to take on the clients she's having to turn away. I totally didn't expect her to say the position is still available as her work is amazing and instead of the usual 'must have 2/3yrs experience' she wrote must have experience but will put in the time training the right person. she was with a client at the time and asked me to put my name and number on the back of her business card but I was shaking so much I couldn't even write my last name and I dropped the pen attempting to write my phone number. Much to my surprise she actually text me that day and asked my me to come in for a chat that afternoon so I did. I let her know I was still struggling with a few things but was totally invested in spending the time to get my work to a standard she would be happy to offer her clients. She wants somebody to work on a commission basis and she will provide clientele as well as product. I have never used Artistic products before so she gave me a small sample and asked me to try it and send her the pics. I tried it and found it really hard to work with but I sent her the pics ans now she wants me to do a trial infront of her in her salon. I;m super excited but totally petrified my timing will let me down as the full set I did using her product at home took me 3 hours... any advice would be greatly appreciated as im feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. This would be my first job as Ive been a housewife since highschool.
Also what would be an acceptable commission split??

I'm feeling a bit like you & I know the trembling with nerves - it's awful. The fact she likes what you've done is a great start. Just be honest, explain that it took you a while but you've not used these products before so with assistance you will get up to speed.

As for commission I wouldn't have a clue. I'm pretty much in the same boat - just newly qualified in Shellac, very nervous, it takes me ages & I wouldn't know what to ask for when it comes to commission.

One thing I would say, she's providing the clients, the products & a table so see what she suggests. At the end of the day if you're not happy with your earnings then at least you've been in a position to practice & gain experience.

Remember - she wants to see you so she must see the value in you. Hope that gives you a little confidence. [emoji179]

aww thank you xx
your right about the practice and experience I think. its costing me nothing but my time to sit there and do as many sets as shes happy to book me and since shes providing the product aswell I can't ask too much in the way of pay I guess so anything she pays me is just a bonus on top of gaining the experience and maybe some confidence :D
im sure your confidence will come in time too. I spend ages on a gel polish mani too coz I always doubt the job ive done and im forever wiping it off before curing it only to reapply and realise it was better the first time and I should have just left it alone:confused:
how long does your shellac sets take if you don't mind me asking? and do you have any tips for doing a nice job on your own toes? mine always are a mess but I believe that if I stayed away from the fridge it would be easier to reach them and therefore I might have a better chance lol

DON'T WORRY......just get practicing RIGHT NOW, to add to your confidence and improve your timings!
I don't think folk realise how business owners are STRUGGLING to find GOOD STAFF.
I myself have been shocked since opening my salon 3 years ago, how difficult it is to get trained staff who want employment.:confused:
GOOD LUCK:)

aww thank you xx
your right about the practice and experience I think. its costing me nothing but my time to sit there and do as many sets as shes happy to book me and since shes providing the product aswell I can't ask too much in the way of pay I guess so anything she pays me is just a bonus on top of gaining the experience and maybe some confidence :D
im sure your confidence will come in time too. I spend ages on a gel polish mani too coz I always doubt the job ive done and im forever wiping it off before curing it only to reapply and realise it was better the first time and I should have just left it alone:confused:
how long does your shellac sets take if you don't mind me asking? and do you have any tips for doing a nice job on your own toes? mine always are a mess but I believe that if I stayed away from the fridge it would be easier to reach them and therefore I might have a better chance lol

Well lol I've only done one set and that was in my class last week! I have done my toes but it's taking about an 1hr and half at the mo. I'm practicing my PEP on Hubby & treating my own nails with RescueRXx as a previous salon unfortunately damaged some of my nails. I nearly lost my little finger nail due to nippers ripping my side wall and had major lifting so waiting for it to grow out so I can practice on myself.

I have done my mums other hand (in class we had one hand colour one hand french) and that took me an hour :( but it's all about practice. I shake a lot due to nerves. I think you have a great opportunity. At the moment I have very few contacts so not many friends to practice on but I'll get there.

I qualified in Shellac in July and have been working mobile a little since September - it's going ok, quiet as I'm starting from scratch but I just wanted to say - dont worry about your timing.
I was the same when I qualified and now I can do it in 45 minutes or 1hr including removal , you'll be surprised how quickly you can improve :)

I actually just started applying to local nail salons for down part time work to gain experience and confidence :) am struggling a little though as near me it's mostly NSS salons, and I'm all about nail health etc (hence the CND training)

Good luck with it, let us know how you go xxx

I qualified in Shellac in July and have been working mobile a little since September - it's going ok, quiet as I'm starting from scratch but I just wanted to say - dont worry about your timing.
I was the same when I qualified and now I can do it in 45 minutes or 1hr including removal , you'll be surprised how quickly you can improve :)

I actually just started applying to local nail salons for down part time work to gain experience and confidence :) am struggling a little though as near me it's mostly NSS salons, and I'm all about nail health etc (hence the CND training)

Good luck with it, let us know how you go xxx

Not sure if you were talking to me lol but thank you if you were! I may have someone locally who may give me the opportunity for some work experience so it's not all bad. It's just practice, practice, practice and putting yourself out there eh. I'm sure that the more you advocate natural nail care the more you'll gain clients, After all the beauty of shellac is that its unlike any other product out there and amazing for the clients who don't want enhancements but just beautiful healthy nails.

I was won over when I had it applied to myself back in June. I didn't get on with L&P or Brisa - couldn't keep it on myself and generally felt it wasn't what I wanted to advocate as I'm all into natural nail care. I was always useless at applying nail polish as I was too slow and it would dry before I had finished applying. Plus my own nails are 'problematic' so I can't even keep polish on for a day before it's flaking off so when I realised I could keep Shellac on my own nails for longer than 2 weeks I found 'my thing' and I really want to make it work this time.

All the best, keep me posted on how you get on too. Sounds like we're in a similar position.

Tamm

DON'T WORRY......just get practicing RIGHT NOW, to add to your confidence and improve your timings!
I don't think folk realise how business owners are STRUGGLING to find GOOD STAFF.
I myself have been shocked since opening my salon 3 years ago, how difficult it is to get trained staff who want employment.:confused:
GOOD LUCK:)
Thanks RED STAR xx been practicing like crazy and poor husband is gong crazy from finding nail tips everywhere and me waving them in his face asking if my smile lines are "smiling"haha just waiting for her to get back to me with a trial time and day. hopefully this week

Well lol I've only done one set and that was in my class last week! I have done my toes but it's taking about an 1hr and half at the mo. I'm practicing my PEP on Hubby & treating my own nails with RescueRXx as a previous salon unfortunately damaged some of my nails. I nearly lost my little finger nail due to nippers ripping my side wall and had major lifting so waiting for it to grow out so I can practice on myself.

I have done my mums other hand (in class we had one hand colour one hand french) and that took me an hour :( but it's all about practice. I shake a lot due to nerves. I think you have a great opportunity. At the moment I have very few contacts so not many friends to practice on but I'll get there.

sounds like you and I both have the same nervous habits! I googled how to control this and apparently if you clench your butt muscles or your thigh muscles as hard as you can its impossible for your hands to shakeo_O I have no idea if this is true as I have been led astray by google before but at the very least if you think of this while your hands are shaking it might make you smile and that might help you relax??;)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I think I may end up with a very toned butt & thighs!!

sounds like you and I both have the same nervous habits! I googled how to control this and apparently if you clench your butt muscles or your thigh muscles as hard as you can its impossible for your hands to shakeo_O I have no idea if this is true as I have been led astray by google before but at the very least if you think of this while your hands are shaking it might make you smile and that might help you relax??;)

I bet everyone who reads your post sits and clenches their bum and thighs. I know I did, lol. :oops: :D

Latest posts

Back