To patch test or not patch test, that is the question - spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a disclaimer form that advises on all contraindications and they then sign to say they are fine to go ahead without having a patch test (or they choose to have one - but 99% don't bother). You are covered then as its at their own risk. :0)

To patch test tan on EVERY SINGLE CLIENT is unrealistic.

My insurer (The Guild) says check with manufacturer. I use for Nouvatan and we patch test people with a known skin condition or previous sensitivity as I have already posted on a similar thread.

Can't help but feel that some people are just out to make trouble in threads like this. Follow insurer and manufacturer guidelines and realise that insurers and manufacturers will have different rules to each other. Get over it and let's get on with running our (quite frankly in my case very successful) tanning and training business.

I am sorry that you feel I may be out to "cause trouble" this was not the intention, I actually really do want to know what the accepted norm is within our industry, does this mean that I am not entitled to pose a perfectly honest question? No need to get mean with your response . We are living in changing times and just because one person does things a certain way it does not mean that another could get away with it.

I am very surprised at the amount of negativity in some responses to this post and I fully understand that it is difficult but my original enquiry was: to patch test or not, and what do other techs do. Hopefully some more geeks will come along with constructive input and help especially the mobile technicians to find an acceptable alternative?

I patch test anyone who has not had one before or not had a tan before and I do fine so my business is not suffering for it, and I have the peace of mind that I have followed current recommendations.

I use a disclaimer form that advises on all contraindications and they then sign to say they are fine to go ahead without having a patch test (or they choose to have one - but 99% don't bother). You are covered then as its at their own risk. :0)
The signature saying that they have the treatment at their own risk is not covering you at all.

It is not worth the paper it is written on. Disclaimers do not stand up in court and if you were taken to court & your insurance provider asks you to patch test and you have not, you have just got a signed disclaimer, then you will most likely be found at fault and the insurance company will have to pay out, your premiums will go up and your client will be laughing all the way to the bank with a payout.

EVERY tech should know what their insurance provider requires regarding patch tests for EVERY treatment they do. Then you HAVE to follow that and patch test those that need it no matter how inconvenient or expensive that proves to be (or turn the client away and not treat them).

I am surprised at the number of tech's who don't seem to know what their insurance providers requirements are. Patch test requirements was the second thing I checked when taking out my policy (the first was that each of my qualifications are valid and I am covered to do all the treatments under the policy).

I am starting to wonder if training companies throw that little line (patch test required) into the training programme just to cover themselves.

I posted on another thread very recently about doctors notes being required by insurers for Diabetes .

This also irritates me. It has become my belief that the INSURERS need to sort themselves out.

Because of them, patch testing and doctors notes puts all the onus on the therapist.

Doctors don't want to put permission in writing as it will come back on them.

Trainers tell you to patch test or they themselves face being sued.

Insurers cover themselves from every angle possible.

Clients seem to be totally unable to take any responsibility for themselves.

And that leaves us. The therapists.

It irritates me.

xxx

I'm not a tanning professional, but I thought I'd offer some opinions.
I can understand how hard it would be to get to a client to do a patch test yet unfortunately, due to the ease of accessing legal advice nowadays, there are some clients who would think nothing of trying to sue if they had an allergic reaction to a product.
Even if your insurers require you to patch test and you adhere to this, the company name/your name would still get tarnished by this person even attempting to sue. But saying that you've followed all your regulations is a lot better than saying "I didn't patch test" It's not being paranoid, it's more about covering our backs as professionals so that our clients feel that they're in good hands with us and that we know we are fully sticking to the terms of our insurance, otherwise it would be void.
I have heard before about the disclaimer issue not holding up in court. Courts see it as you are the professional and the client has no idea about products used in a treatment or how it is professionally performed so therefore you should have done what you have been trained to do, and not just let a client sign because they don't know.

Hope that all made sense! I'm in a mad rush this morning!

I think it is always best to cover yourself as patch testing tends to be a bit of grey area. One insurance company will say one thing and one another. The only thing you could be sure of is that they wont want to pay out if there is a claim, so I would go for a belt and braces approach and patch test each new client. You can buy little sample pots on e bay (search mini paint pots) and you can pop a small amount of solution in this and put in the post along with instructions. It is there by the next day, then ask the client to sign the record card to say they have patch tested and that there is no reaction. This would cost less than a pound to do and if it gives you peace of mind it is definately worth it.

The other question is , how many of us know what exactly is in every product we use, when you order a sample do you ask for a list of ingredients? Have you been on to your suppliers website to look up the list of ingredients? Usually if we use the product from the people we trained with we are OK as our trainers should have given us thi information. Some have quite a lot of ingredients and some have very few but at the end of the day they should make this info available, reactions are often not down to the DHA or even the Aloe Vera in most of them but to a dye or a fragrance so how can we be sure that there will be no comeback if we dont even know what is in the products we use.

I am saying this especially for the newer technicians and I dont mean this badly at all, but with experience you do learn to ask and check, but many when starting out try to save money, train with one and buy something else, are not sure what to ask of their insurers ( Baggybear highlighted the importance of this) so it can be a bit of a minefield and it can be so easy to be unprepared.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as point and spray while raking in the money, we have a responsibility to our clients to be the best educated in our chosen products and best prepared for the day to day legalities of the services we offer

With every new client I would ask that they read a full disclaimer advising of all contraindications linked to that treatment. I strongly believe that someone should be aware of every possible risk and that a patch test is advised and in some cases, a doctors note preferred. Thanks for your advice though.

With every new client I would ask that they read a full disclaimer advising of all contraindications linked to that treatment. I strongly believe that someone should be aware of every possible risk and that a patch test is advised and in some cases, a doctors note preferred. Thanks for your advice though.
All of that is great BUT have you asked you insurance provider what they need you to do? Have you asked them if there is any point in getting the disclaimer signed?

I think you will find that all insurance companies will say there is absolutely no point in having a signed disclaimer even if it lists all the contraindications and contractions that could occur because of the treatment they are about to have as a court will say that you as the professional should have made the client have a patch test or refused to treat them, unfortunately it is that black and white in court.

I have just attended the theory side of our Spray Tan course this morning, as I was heavily intrigued as to our policies on patch testing.
I found out that we do focus quite a bit of time on patch testing, as it links into contra-indications and our consultation cards. Our trainer says that it's all for your own benefit as if something were to go wrong, you are completely covered.

Last edited:
I have just attended the theory side of our Spray Tan course this morning, as I was heavily intrigued as to our polices on patch testing.
I found out that we do focus quite a bit of time on patch testing, as it links into contra-indications and our consultation cards. Our trainer says that it's all for your own benefit as if something were to go wrong, you are completely covered.

I appreciate you doing the research and it is good to hear an explanation as to why it is strongly recommended.

I actually really do want to know what the accepted norm is within our industry, .

I think this thread demonstrates, and many others very similar that have run recently, that there is no accepted norm. It varies from insurer to insurer and manufacturer to manufacturer and until such time as our industry becomes regulated that's the way it will continue to be.

And for the record, Nouvatan contains a list of ingredients on the bottle.

What an interesting thread?

Very different in the UK to here in Australia.

Although I'd recommend a patch test for those who have never had a spray tan before or known allergies, the onus, at the end of the day is on the manufacturer of the tanning solution.

Therefore, if a client does react, the manufacturers insurance covers any possible claim.

It is important to know what ingredients are in the solution you are using. All tanning companies should clearly detail the ingredients in their solution. These should also clearly be detailed on sample sized bottles as well.

Wondering - does everyone patch test their client when they do a facial?

What an interesting thread?

Very different in the UK to here in Australia.

Although I'd recommend a patch test for those who have never had a spray tan before or known allergies, the onus, at the end of the day is on the manufacturer of the tanning solution.

Therefore, if a client does react, the manufacturers insurance covers any possible claim.

It is important to know what ingredients are in the solution you are using. All tanning companies should clearly detail the ingredients in their solution. These should also clearly be detailed on sample sized bottles as well.

Wondering - does everyone patch test their client when they do a facial?

Exactly and no is the answer.

If you had to patch test every product you used throughout a facial treatment the client would have to book a 20 minute appointment just for that lol.

It's insane.

Latest posts

Back