To polish or not to polish? Re-growing toenail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perls Beauty

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks - a bit of an odd, possible 'silly' question for you all.....

I have a lady who lost her big toe nail a while ago, and I succesfully built her a temporary one from acrylic a couple of times so she could continue to have her Minx on!

She now has around half of the nail grown back, and would like to just polish it for the foreseable, until it re-grows fully. Her question to me, and mine to you is..........

Will the polish that is on the skin cause any problems - She is worried that the nail will grow OVER the polish!?

I can't see it myself, but just wanted to check really. Instinctively I told her that it would be fine as she would remove and replace the polish regularly so any that was near the free edge would constantly be moving along with the growth of the nail - now sitting here alone thinking about it, I am questioning if this is so??

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
L x

I might just not be reading this right...but if the polish is on the skin would it not come off with showers or rubbing of socks and shoes? So I would think by the time the nail grew to where the polish was it would be long gone? I don't know I might just be confused! lol

Let me just make sure I understand you. Am I right in thinking her toenail is half grown back, and she wants to paint it, but paint beyond the free edge and onto the soft tissue to give the illusion of a longer toenail? If you did that, the polish wouldnt cause any harm to the soft tissue provided you use a good brand, but it wouldnt last 2 minutes. It would flake off, would rub off in her shoes, and would come off completely the first shower she had.

Why dont you do an acrylic ehnancement on that nail? That's the best way to extend the nail, she can have it soaked off when the nail's grown a bit, and she can wear what she likes on it, shellac, polish, minx. That's what I'd do.

Just a heads up on injured nail. It so easy to develop a nail fungus when you have a nail injury. Paint or acrylic, it would be wise to advise applying tea tree oil daily. I speak from personal experience and received this advise from a podiatrist.

I would carry on with the acrylic reconstruction. Toe nails can take up to a year to fully grow, so 6 months if she has a half grown nail.

As said, the polish will come off - not immedietly, but it wont last long. Just use the growth of the nail to adhere the acrylic to (it will stay on longer than before as it will be adhered to nail and not skin).

xx

Thanks everyone.

She had polished it herself, beyond the free edge and onto the soft tissue & I said the same, that it wouldn't last very long any way. She says she just keeps repainting it, and wondered if that was a good idea or not.

So I guess, the answer is that no, polish will not remain under the free edge as it grows out as it will be wearing off anyway?!

I will try and sway her towards another acrylic replacement, as she is off on her hols to Thailand soon and wants Minx again before she goes, so that aint gonna stick to her skin for long LOL.

Thanks again x

Let me just make sure I understand you. Am I right in thinking her toenail is half grown back, and she wants to paint it, but paint beyond the free edge and onto the soft tissue to give the illusion of a longer toenail? If you did that, the polish wouldnt cause any harm to the soft tissue provided you use a good brand, but it wouldnt last 2 minutes. It would flake off, would rub off in her shoes, and would come off completely the first shower she had.

Why dont you do an acrylic ehnancement on that nail? That's the best way to extend the nail, she can have it soaked off when the nail's grown a bit, and she can wear what she likes on it, shellac, polish, minx. That's what I'd do.
That’s how my friend got a fungus because mold grew between the acrylic and the half grown back nail…. And then when she thought she was finally through with the fungus she realizes that it affected how the nail grew back and it wasn’t attached in certain places. I would highly suggest not putting acrylic on a toenail that is trying to grow back….. I came here looking to find an answer if polish will inhibit the growth of my new toenail growing back because I had the same thing happened about three days after my friend told me about losing hers. She told me that it’s safe to put polish on it but she also hasn’t had a toenail in like a year and I wanted to clarify that you can cover the nail tissue and have grown back nail with polish very easily and it’s not going to chip or anything mentioned in the post I am replying to… I just wanted to correct this person because the acrylic thing is really just spreading dangerous information because my friend is at her wits and dealing with the issue calls by the acrylic nail because some clueless person told her it was a good idea just like I’m reading here. Also I thought since I am currently scouring the Internet for information about the nail polish that is doing great despite what this person shared and so with Miss information twice probably due to an experience and wanting to always sound right or try to help even if you have not looked into the safety of it whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back