To refund or not? Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanda@Ritual

Reaction score
I have a client who booked me at the beginning of the year to carry out treatments before her wedding ie: spray tanning, nails, waxing etc. It was my first 'proper' wedding package and didnt have any sort of signed terms and conditions/contract etc but did put on the quote that the deposit was non refundable.

However last week she told me she had been made redundant and needed to cancel a few of the treatments. She is getting married on the 28th Sept this year. And had already paid the balance of the money the week before she lost her job.

Do I refund a % of the money??

I feel like its the right thing to do under the circumstances and I think she kind of expects something back but think she is embarrassed to ask.

What makes it harder is that I have known her for the past 10+ years so feel even more guilty about it.

What should I do guys? Do I refund? What would be an acceptable refund?

Please help as my guilt is keeping me awake :cry:

Thanks xxxxxx

I have a client who booked me at the beginning of the year to carry out treatments before her wedding ie: spray tanning, nails, waxing etc. It was my first 'proper' wedding package and didnt have any sort of signed terms and conditions/contract etc but did put on the quote that the deposit was non refundable.

However last week she told me she had been made redundant and needed to cancel a few of the treatments. She is getting married on the 28th Sept this year. And had already paid the balance of the money the week before she lost her job.

Do I refund a % of the money??

I feel like its the right thing to do under the circumstances and I think she kind of expects something back but think she is embarrassed to ask.

What makes it harder is that I have known her for the past 10+ years so feel even more guilty about it.

What should I do guys? Do I refund? What would be an acceptable refund?

Please help as my guilt is keeping me awake :cry:

Thanks xxxxxx
I have understood from your post that the whole balance has been paid?

The acceptable refund is all but the actual required deposit.

As you feel slightly uncomfortable about her situation could you suggest that she has treatments to the value of the deposit and give her back the rest of it?

You could give her back the whole amount if you wanted to as there is still a month to go before her appointment with you and the space should easily fill.

If it was a week before her appointment that would be a little different and you would definitely keep the deposit. If it was the day before you would definitely keep the whole amount.

To me this is good customer service, I am sure there will be lots of other views for you to ponder on before making your decision.

Jacqui xx

Do you think you fill the spaces in that time? If so I would probably give her everything back because the deposit is there as a guarentee that you will not have a loss if she didn't show + you were left with spaces you couldn't fill

But as was already said there is nothing to stop her having treatments worth the deposit, like say make-up, nails + tan that she would probably still want done for her big day

It must be very disappointing for you though :( xox

Just refund the treatments she isn't having unless you did a discount for multiple treatments. Or ask her if someone else in the bridal party would like to take the treatments and pay her.

Def do a refund minus the deposit this will in return get you more clients... word of mouth is the best advertising there is... Sucks for you ...but you will def be paid back in the long run! <3

I would refund minus the deposit.

Like others have said you could also offer her treatments to the value of the deposit so she doesn't loose out completely.

I've had to cancel a wedding venue with 3 months' notice before. They refunded the amount, but kept the deposit until they filled the spot. Once they did I got the full whack back which I was pleased with. Other suppliers-caterer & photographer said no, sorry that's what a deposit's for & I was fine with it.

You could do as the venue did. Or as above said, just charge for what she still wants done. I think she'd see that as excellent customer service & be thrilled she was still being pampered Xx

As already said there is still a month before the day so you should be able to fill those spaces. As you have known her for such a long time and the fact that she paid the whole amount so long in advance it seems right to me to give her the whole amount back. You could hold back the deposit until you have actually filled the slot she was due to have and then refund the deposit as well,I am sure she would understand that you need to fill that space, or give her the option of getting treatments to the value of the deposit for the big day, I am sure she would love to still be pampered before the wedding.

I've had to cancel a wedding venue with 3 months' notice before. They refunded the amount, but kept the deposit until they filled the spot. Once they did I got the full whack back which I was pleased with. Other suppliers-caterer & photographer said no, sorry that's what a deposit's for & I was fine with it.

You could do as the venue did. Or as above said, just charge for what she still wants done. I think she'd see that as excellent customer service & be thrilled she was still being pampered Xx
You must type faster than me, or maybe all my editing for spelling errors made me just a bit too slow. LOL

Great minds think alike:cool:

Most deposits are non refundable, you can send her a letter saying what you are willing to refund, or would you do a discounted price to give her an incentive and you get more money and she has what she wants for her special day.

If it was a long standing client or friend then I would be tempted to give discount so they get some back, you get the business and the client will tell guests who done it.

One of mine later today was made redundant 2 weeks ago and because of that I gave her a new price as a one off discount because shes a family friend and know how much she wants the change xoxo

Thanks for all your advice on this one guys.

I have refunded her what she has cancelled and just charged her for what treatments have already been done and what are still to do.

I know now to have some sort of contract drawn up with a cancellation policy!

Many Thanks
xx

Def do a refund minus the deposit this will in return get you more clients... word of mouth is the best advertising there is... Sucks for you ...but you will def be paid back in the long run! <3

I think this is the best advice. She will appreciate it, and your business will grow by her referrals.

Make the choice that gives you the most peace.

Ofcourse technically you could keep the whole amount or the deposit. Although I think it might be wise to refund under these circumstances. It just makes for better relations all round I know its annoying giving refunds but sometimes its better to. I had a client in she wanted a colour booster on his eyebrow e.g not a whole shape redoing, I done this and sorted out the wonky shape she had and told her she is only paying me for a top up. Anyway without it even healing on the Sunday evening she calls to say they are lovely but she wants another appointment as she feels she needs (and she cannot afford another appointment) I told her to wait til it heals (Sunday Night p@@s off!). Anyway she calls again wanting a "free" appointment and she did not want to pay. I made the decision then that I did not want anymore dealing with this lady and decided to refund the amount she had paid (without her asking) as she is not worth the stress and late night calls, yes I lost over hundred but my mental health is more important than been dragged into her neurotic behaviour. The vast majority of clients are decent people so be a decent person back and run from the loonies. If you feel it is morally right to return the money or you would sleep better, do it, you will be repaid with loyalty and respect.

Make sure you do keep some of it though, this is your 1st 'proper' package as you have said....you have been working hard to build a nice package, probs with a bit of discount...building your business..

People being sick, getting made redundant you need to have deposits for big appointments x

Latest posts

Back