To soak off or not to soak off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To soak off or not to soak off?

• Total voters

nemotail

Invisible Geek
Reaction score
I have a client tomorrow who has L&P from a Creative salon. She is very unhappy with her current enhancements - I havent yet seen them but she says they are very discoloured with yellow lines in the pink and dirty whites :eek: which makes me wonder what products the tech is using.
She has seen a few of my clients and loves the look of gel ~ particularly the clarity of pink and the brightness of the white. So she want her L&P off and Gel on so I planned to soak off and apply fresh enhancements but after reading another thread I am now worried about what lurks beneath.

How do you feel about working over another techs work or a different system to one you use?

Would you automatically soak off?

What factors would make you choose a soak off over a rebalance?

Any advice as always appreciated
KxXx

I prefer to soak off as some of my clients dont know what the other techs have used x

I've got to say soak off - even though I hate to do it. If you work over another techs work you cannot prove that any problems that may occur aren't your doing.

I ticked that i'd have to see them first, if they can be saved then great, although i am not keen on working on another techs work, i think i'd have to see the individual first x

i voted see them first, then i make a professional decision, based on the clients requests, my opinion of the state of her nails and what the outcome could be, sometimes its easier to rebalance other work as long as they sign away, lol!! other times its advisable to soak an atrocious set off, and other times its beneficial to let product to just grow out whilst maintaining the existing set

I also ticked the " see first " I usually don't like to work over anothers but if I can save the client some money "when there not that bad " I will ....if they are just to horrible then I will advise for a soak off. And start anew....

Would you rebalance L&P with Gel or vice versa? I know it can be done but just wondered what fellow geeks would do?
Thanks
KxXx

If the enhancements are discoloured, I'd want to see if it is right through them or just on the surface first. It could just be a polish topcoat that has discoloured or it could be caused by a contaminated brush/product, in which case it needs to come off anyway. If they can be saved then that's great, if she's happy to have a rebalance but if in doubt I always soak. Also if she specifically wants gel, then they have to come off anyway to change the product. Definitely have a look & carry out a full consultation so you can make a proper decision.

I clicked see them first. But to be honest if it was after another techs work then I would soak off or buff off as I would want a clean slate to start off with.

I clicked see them first, why waste your time and her money, if they are in reasonable condition, just rebalance.... if they turned out to be mma you could be trying to remove them for hours and they could be damaged and sore underneath... just make sure she understands what your doing and why and signs a consent form. Gel over L&P - L&P over gel should be fine.

I would have to see them first. There is usually no problem in soaking off unless the client has came from a NSS salon. Normally, if they are from a NSS salon, they would have been airbrushed too. Sounds like she has just had very badly applied acrylics with even worse rebalances.

I marked see them first. I dont like working over other peoples work though and if they are really that bad then i would soak off.

jac extreme said:
I clicked see them first, why waste your time and her money, if they are in reasonable condition, just rebalance.... if they turned out to be mma you could be trying to remove them for hours and they could be damaged and sore underneath... just make sure she understands what your doing and why and signs a consent form. Gel over L&P - L&P over gel should be fine.
have to agree with jac on this one

I want to see them first but rebalance more likely then soak off.

Last edited:
i would prefer to see them first. i had a client exactly the same a couple of months ago, who told me there were discoloured lines in the pink, when i saw them it was where the other tech hadn't gotten rid of all the lifting before infilling, which had led to pocket lifting on some of them, and when i asked if the other tech had used any type of steriliser on them she said no, she said they just filed over her nails so they weren't shiney and lumped some more l&p over the top!!! so they had to come off. some clients can be a bit ott when they're describing how bad their nails are as well! lol! some say they're hanging off so you tell em to come and soak off and when they get there they just need a rebalance and a couple have got a weeny bit of lifting! (i have a very dramatic client!!!)

did you not say that she has these done in a creative salon? i'm sure i read that (did i?). well anyway, if you did write that then they'd be using creative products. i'm sure that the damage will not be bad underneath as these techs will have had proper training (with creative). if she wants them off, i'd take them off and put gel on. if they are discoloured it can be due to contamination and i think then they have to be taken off.

beautynails said:
I want to see em first but rebalance more likely then soak off.

Yep this is me- see em first!!:) But rebalance if possible!!

i chose to soak off

i was always taught not to work on another techs work

:irked:sounds to me like the lifting hasnt been removed properly on previous visits, so that in itself will make the nails look tatty. I think removals are in order, but if you are going to work on existing nails then get the client to sign a disclaimer:Love:

I clicked see them first but i would probably soak off as i don't like to work over other peoples work x:)

Latest posts

Back