To train or not to train

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
I've read some interesting responses to a thread on a FB page and it got me thinking.
The op was concerned because a local girl was starting to do 'shellac' for a fiver because of personal circumstance ,she couldn't get any training.
Everyone was up in arms ,angry that an unqualified, uneducated person should be undercutting and devaluing the service but one girl suggested that you should be able to dip your toe in the water so to speak before spending a fortune on training ...if it wasn't for you , then you wouldn't be out all that money .

I don't agree with her myself .

Opinions?

me either without actual training from a qualified tutor/trainer you would not know basic knowledge about the product and treatment

totally agree which is why I've started offering half price surgery from my spare room, just to test the water and see if I like cutting people open before I fork out all that money and time on training..

DIY kits readily available in Argos and Boots. Don't see the difference really. It's not rocket science.

Some people say that once you have done the one day gel course you should charge the full price. What about those that have years of experience? Does this not count for anything these days?

Am I right in thinking if you have a mani/pedi qualification you can do gel polish on clients without doing a one day gel course. The manufacturers give full instructions so would I need to do a one day course as well as I can't see the point?

I think for working on paying clients then training is an absolute must. However, not all training is equal unfortunately and I'm sure we've all come across nails which have been trashed by qualified and experienced techs :irked:

What really frustrates me though isn't so much those trying to get into the business, because we all had to start somewhere, but those who have done a 1 or 2 day course in just the basics and then think they know everything! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!! Until it is understood that training/education has to be ongoing, forever (!!) only then can we truly progress. I know people who have years and years experience but don't know or understand their products properly and take no care to protect the natural nail.

True skill, knowledge and understanding can only come from continued, quality training in my opinion :)

totally agree which is why I've started offering half price surgery from my spare room, just to test the water and see if I like cutting people open before I fork out all that money and time on training..

Hahaha brilliant!

I can't drive yet. Thinking of taking the car for a spin up the motorway before having lessons though to see if I like it as they're just sooo expensive.......

Am I right in thinking if you have a mani/pedi qualification you can do gel polish on clients without doing a one day gel course. The manufacturers give full instructions so would I need to do a one day course as well as I can't see the point?

No don't think that's true at all. There are certain gel polish certificates you can have which also cover you insurance-wise for other brands of gel polish but I'd check with your insurer first. A manicure/pedicure course doesn't automatically mean people can do gels despite reading instructions somewhere else.

Hahaha brilliant!

I can't drive yet. Thinking of taking the car for a spin up the motorway before having lessons though to see if I like it as they're just sooo expensive.......

Hahahahahaha love it!

Actually while we're on the topic of training, what if someone has the man/pedi qualification/certificate but is trained by a senior salon therapist to do gel enhancements and gel polish then built up experience on clients. Should they be allowed work on the public if they don't have an official certificate?

Actually while we're on the topic of training, what if someone has the man/pedi qualification/certificate but is trained by a senior salon therapist to do gel enhancements and gel polish then built up experience on clients. Should they be allowed work on the public if they don't have an official certificate?

In this instance I doubt very much that they would be covered by insurance.

Latest posts

Back