To wax or not to wax???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophs999

Reaction score
Hi
A client has asked me to wax her daughter upper lip as she has a strong hair growth. Problem is she is 10 yrs old, nearly 11. Is it ok to do first wax on so young? My insurance doesn't specify age.

I have an age minimum of 14 for spray tanning and I'm away to do waxing course on Friday.....if it was me I would draw up a different disclaimer and make sure that all the negatives r within this as she is so young. Her mother must read and sign this so if anything does go wrong she has been informed of everything and has agreed to the treatment b4 hand, it just covers u to be on the safe side. If u r really not comfortable Hun just say no as she is not old enough.....altho I say a minimum of 14 for tanning I would still get parents consent :) HTH xxx

Hi
A client has asked me to wax her daughter upper lip as she has a strong hair growth. Problem is she is 10 yrs old, nearly 11. Is it ok to do first wax on so young? My insurance doesn't specify age.

Its tricky. Does the girl want it done? If she isnt that fussed I would definitely say to leave it. But I know how cruel some kids can be. I dont specify age (neither does my insurance) but as said above i would ensure her mother was very well informed, remained with the daughter throughout the client and would make the daughter aware that it is a very uncomfortable treatment.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on :)

i dont think i could do it to be honest, ask her if she has tried bleach if she is really bothered by it

You need to call and ask your insurer if you are covered - many do allow with parental permission and presence with a bespoke signed consultation form. But check the age limit.

If your insurance company is ok with you doing this then why not? If its bothering the little girl then get it gone! It's only a bit of waxing.
There is numbing cream that you can get for her to make it more comfortable.
If you do choose to use this on her though, be sure to patch test her first.

I would definately not do anything to a 10 year olds upper lip.She has barely hit puberty if at all and hair can change and it may well go on its own.If the hair is that strong and it is not her ethnicity she would be best seeing a dr as it could be a hormonal problem.
Waxing is not likely to be a good long term solution for someone so young it may set her up for having a strong full moustache when she is still very young.
She may want laser when she is older and waxing will not help this.
Also she is unlikely to want to let the hairs grow again to be rewaxed and might resort to shaving.
My advice would be to bleach.

I had two young sisters of 10 and 11 who had noticeable dark hair on their top lips and were being bullied about it. They also had eyebrows that almost took over their faces, met in the middle and was coming down onto the top of their noses.

The mother and both girls wanted the waxing and because of the circumstance I was happy to do it for them.

They are still being waxed and they are now 14 and 15 and hair is reduced and finer.

Some therapists will say yes and some will say no. Use your own judgement based upon the individual cases.

Jacqui xx

Get it in writing from your insurer and get her mum to sign that she gives permission. Above all though…….ask the little girl if she wants it done and if she looks at her mum for approval, don't do it.

I waxed my 11 year old nieces brows and the sides of her top lip as she was getting really down about her strong dark hair.

Her brows met in the middle and it looked from a distance as if she'd been drinking blackcurrant squash!

I asked her several times when preparing for her appointment if she really wanted it done and each time was met with an eager and definite "yes!"

I used Berins hot wax and when I'd done and showed her in the mirror, you could see the relief physically leave her.

So yes, providing it is the child who wants it and your insurer is ok with it, do it. Isn't building self esteem important for younger girls too?

Xx

I think it's a better solution than an 11 year old going home desperate to have it removed and getting her dads razor out!! If the mum is there, insurance is ok, and she really wants and needs it done, I would do it! X

Latest posts

Back