Today I attempted to elongate a nailbiters nailbed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
It was an unsuccessful enhancement and I was very disappointed :( I used cover pink in zone 2. It looked awful and did not cover the clients natural nail line at all! When I was done with the enhancement you could totally see the line of her bitten nails through the pink. TG it was the owners daughter (a freebie) and 13 yrs old because she couldn't have cared less. But I am wondering, is a cover pink a definite necessity when doing this procedure, or can I just use an opaque pink? :eek:

Last edited:
A cover/opaque/camoflauge it's all the same thing.

It was an unsuccessful enhancement and I was very disappointed :( I used cover pink in zone 2. It looked awful and did not cover the clients natural nail line at all! When I was done with the enhancement you could totally see the line of her bitten nails through the pink. TG it was the owners daughter (a freebie) and 13 yrs old because she couldn't have cared less. But I am wondering, is a cover pink a definite necessity when doing this procedure, or can I just use an opaque pink? :eek:
I'm afraid that it would be difficult to advise you on what you should use, as the mix of two different product brands (ie Tammy Taylor and Qmonomer) will not give the same results as L&P from the same range.

I appreciate that Qmonomer may be a versatile product, but to achieve best results it is always recommended to use the same brand polymer and monomer!

IMHO it is always necessary to ensure that the client leaves the salon with the best enhancement possible - so therefore it is a necessity to ensure that there is no hint of the bitten nails (whether it was the salon owners daughter or not - more reason to do the best job ever I would have thought!)

Therefore, you need to use a product range that covers the bitten nail.

HTHs

I'm afraid that it would be difficult to advise you on what you should use, as the mix of two different product brands (ie Tammy Taylor and Qmonomer) will not give the same results as L&P from the same range.

HTHs

I've read and re-read the first post, where does it say what brands she's using lol? Have I missed something (maybe from another thread?)

I've read and re-read the first post, where does it say what brands she's using lol? Have I missed something (maybe from another thread?)

KitKat68 quotes it in other threads Blossom :hug:

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/64953-stealing-co-worker-what-would-you-do-2.html#post690680

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/65240-my-ibd-intense-seal-yellowing.html#post688585

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/64793-full-set-sculpt-nail-biters.html#post684076

There are more links :wink2: but you get the gist!

Hope you manage to sort it all out KitKat68

God you have a fantastic memory debs.

Hi,
NSI do a pink call "Pink Masque" For the job you were doing, but I can't say how good the results would be, as I have not used mine, think I have just been lucky up to now, Good luck, lotsa luv x

i find that i have to mix my own custom blend to suit the client as the cover pink by ezflow isn't the right colour for everyone, i have it on my nails now and its hidden the line nicely.......same when i used the creative cover powder i still had to make a mix to suit eack clients nails to go with there skin tone

hth

this may have answered my question. i was thinking the same thing about seeing the clients free edge through my pink Creative acrylic i use. this happens to most clients ,when i use Clear nail tips, i thought it was the glue underneath as sometimes when i stick the tip down, it looks like the glue looks a bit patchy and bubbley. does this mean i havnt stuck the nail tip down properly.

what do you think im doing wrong here, i dont really want to cheat using opaque acrylic.

xx:irked:

this may have answered my question. i was thinking the same thing about seeing the clients free edge through my pink Creative acrylic i use. this happens to most clients ,when i use Clear nail tips, i thought it was the glue underneath as sometimes when i stick the tip down, it looks like the glue looks a bit patchy and bubbley. does this mean i havnt stuck the nail tip down properly.

what do you think im doing wrong here, i dont really want to cheat using opaque acrylic.

xx:irked:

If you can see patchy areas under the tip it means you haven't used enough adhesive. If you're using Gelbond just use a bit more and it will fill in the gaps.

But, why do you think using opaque pink is cheating? Coverage powders were invented for the exact reason of needing to disguise the nail bed...... It's not cheating, in fact there is a real skill needed to make a custom blend look natural!

I suppose i meant that wrongly about cheating, i just wanted to know where i was going wrong on applying my tips. yes i will try gel bond to fill in gaps. i was also thinking that i might not pre taylor tips enough, i do pre taylor the sides, but should i do the well area? i thought i was using too much glue.

xx

the best way to make a coverage pink give a convincing look [imo] is to use the coverage powder in zone 2 and taper the application down in to zone 3 so that it blends in more naturally with the natural nail and does not leave a ledge ,then do zone 3 in a regular pink and brush it back so that it overlaps zone 2.

using your coverage powder with a slightly drier ratio will help intensify the colour and improve its opacity so that the natural nail does not show through.

there is a useful tutorial on Entity Beauty - Professional Nail Supplies that may help those who are struggling with this technique, go to products, entity acrylic then nudite brochure.

no wonder you call yourself " Angel Fingers" :hug:

thanks hun x

Yes, we get the gist. You don't like the fact that I mix products. Be well.

It's all fine and good that most members don't agree with mixing products. Just because I don't agree that it cannot be done doesn't mean that I should be the target of nasty feedback in each of my posts. I have read the "mixing it up thread". Thank you.

It's all fine and good that most members don't agree with mixing products. Just because I don't agree that it cannot be done doesn't mean that I should be the target of nasty feedback in each of my posts. I have read the "mixing it up thread". Thank you.

i have learnt loads on this forum....before i done my course i looked on the Internet about nails..i never touched my or anybodys nails until i done my course...i come on here ... learnt more on here than i did on my course...why...because i asked and people give me there opinions ....which i took on board....you have asked hun and we have answered...you have answered from the BEST nail techs around....nobody is being nasty....these companys bring out liquid and powder for a reason....so they bond together....what i have read....people are only advicing you not being nasty ..x

I think the answer is to try some apolymer powders to work alongside your qmonomer hun. There is a coverage powder in the High Definition powders that can be used with Qmonomer that is ideal for this situation. You also mix your own custom blend with the various colour powders available from EzFlow.
hth

The problem is though that some of your issues could be because your mixing products. We all know I would think, that one monomer will work with another systems powder (in as much as in the powder cant sit in its pot, arms folded and refuse to be picked up by the brush) but we dont do it because each system is designed to work with its own products.

Everyone who answers you wants to help but theres a fundamental thing we all got taught not to do and you do it when you mix products. Kind of difficult to ignore your training thats all :hug::hug:

Hiya ... I wouldn't say there have been nasty remarks, just maybe frustrated replies because you are refusing to listen to the facts and points that people are making....and they are doing so to try and help with the problems you are having.

Lots of people on here use same brand products without mixing of this and that, and they don't have the problems you are having. So i don't think the answer is to mix.

You have mentioned that by mixing these products together, the result is "really strong nails that don't break"...strong and beautiful nails can be done with using same brand products...but remember, rock hard nails isn't necessarily good. MMA gives rock hard nails that don't break....instead they just rip your own nail off with it.

Nails break sometimes...natural nails and enhanced nails....we can never claim to make nails that will never break, as we can never be sure how they are being treated by the client, but i do know that the chances of there natural nail being damaged during a break is far less than with a nail produced by chemicals that are designed not to break.

I hope i have explained myself ok, and i swear nothing in my reply is intended to be nasty or critical....i just want to help :hug:

Latest posts

Back