Today I cried because of a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flossy_9

Reaction score
Hi all, I'd just like to know if any of you have had a similar experience to the one that has horrified me today.

I've been running a salon for 2 years in a busy city center. I single handedly ran it alone for 7 months, and hand picked a great team, we're now successful and 3 more are being opened over the uk this year.

It's a relatively stressful job but I love it.
Today I had a very wealthy (I know this because she told me) lady who came in with her 3 children and asked me to cut her sons hair.
I obliged, and after direction from Mum 'go as short as you want' I gathered she wanted a sort of old school, side parting slick sort of job.
I started, and her eldest son who was sat behind said the back looked weird. He was about 10 and I'd clipped with a number 3 before blending. Mum checked and immediately screamed at me as it was too short and I went too high. I took her abuse for 40 minutes, and in the end I basically let her tell me how to do my job.
She kept saying things like 'this is terrible' 'he can't leave like this' 'he goes to private school and I like traditional'. Bare in mind I had nowhere finished the cut.
She told me she wasn't from my area and if this is what people from here liked then it's a joke, she doesn't do trendy, I was a joke, appalling and I should be ashamed of myself. This went on and on to the point where I was shaking and felt sick. She was aggressive to not only me but her children.
In all my years professionally and personally I have never been spoken to in the manner I did today. I tried to remain calm, in the end she said it was ok and tipped me £5 which i refused. I didn't charge her for the cut, I didn't want to, I wanted her out of my shop. I left work after that, got in my car and cried. Got home and relaid the story to my partner, and cried again.

Fast forward its 12am and I'm led in bed still feeling terrible.

Has this happened to anybody else or anything similar? I've had fussy clients, I've been spoken down to before, but that was a totally new experience and I felt belittled, embarrassed and it's really made me question my skills.

Oh bless you. What a nasty cow. Don't let it get to you or have any effect on your work. Look at all the clients you have who think you're amazing.

As you said, you hadn't finished the cut and it sounds like she didn't give you much specific instruction. Go short, oh not that short, what a joke.

I detest people who think they have the right to verbally abuse others. I think the only way to deal with her would have been to say that you were not finished and she could reserve judgement until then and speak to you respectfully or get out. Though I know it's easier said than done.

When I started out in beauty one of my first clients made me feel awful for being too slow at waxing. The more she stressed me out, the sloppier my work became. She knew I was new and had booked a hair appointment without enough time for even a fast therapist to finish her treatments. My boss waxed one leg while I did the other and then we had to speed through a manicure and pedicure at the same time.

People need to think before they speak. I guarantee she hasn't given it another thought so you shouldn't either xx

What a biatch! !! I'd have chased her from the shop personally. Well done for keeping your cool!! Everyone will have had a client they've gotten upset over. Big glass of wine and remind yourself how far you have come in your career!! Hope you feel better today! X

Ok for one you had the mums supervision
2 she stated go a short as you can. This to me is where wires get crossed and I do pick the brains of the parent not letting them sit down until I get a proper answer. 1 does your son have a hand cut or does your son have a clipper cut? By no means is this your fault she sounds like a lazy bully and when it all goes tits up after she's turned her back she has to blame somebody. I usually find that clients that do this are unhappy with there lives in some way or another. She obviously felt guilt to attempt to tip you and let's face it hair grows. Please don't cry her poor guidance and instruction on her side as a parent is clearly her fault and instructing you to go as short as you want is a shady command. Don't feel down you will get pure nutters who'll walk through the door once in a while. Stay strong be strong and move on. This is business and it's not easy when your expected to have a telepathic memory. Always stand stern when parents come in. Always question the parents before they park there butts on the couch. Good luck for the future and clear those tears it wasn't your fault

I hope your ok :( sometimes its good to cry! You will look back in a few weeks and think stuff that silly cow. People are so mean. I hope your ok xx

When I was training , I done a clients hair the lady said to me " oh my neighbour comes here too " I said yes she does that was it obviously can't talk about others etc , next day the clients neighbour came in had a huge go at me about me talking about her etc ( I didn't ) I had to sit there and let her do it as I couldn't be rude [emoji36] once she left I burst into tears and wanted to quit the industry , glad I didn't but God I felt like crap for ages after , don't let it get to you but some people are so nasty and don't know how to speak to others Xx

There's a fine line between remaining professional and standing up for yourself. Often people like this do not even realise they are upsetting others, once you stand up to them they soon back down. Sometimes even giving you more respect. Do you not ever be made to feel like you are not doing your job properly. You followed her instructions and she obviously got it wrong not you. There are polite ways of dealing with cranks like this, firmly and fairly. In the consultation, I always try to repeat back what the client has asked for in their own words and then also adding in what I think also then wait for their agreement. Clients who act like this are almost always unhappy with their own lives and are taking it out in whoever they meet. Sad but true..... Chalk it down to experience, are you happy with the way you responded? If yes then great! If not, prepare how would you handle it differently and if it ever happens again you're ready. Xx

Geez I would told her to buzz off with a half finished hair cut and sod off !

And generally I find they "new money" always is rude to the working staff of the world it's some silly attitude they adopt due to feelings of themselves being inferior to not fit into the new rich world they have suddenly come into and old money usually don't enjoy the likes of new money women who like to walk around looking like adorned Christmas trees!
So for her to "fit in cos he in private school" told me all that, plus fact she told you she is rich. Cos no one actually needs to be told, understated elegance and class ... Money can't buy cupcake (is what I would have said as she left)

Yeah, the fact that she has money shouldn't intimidate you. It gives her no power over you. And who cares whether little fussy-arse Jonathan goes to private school? Why does she need to tell you? Probably because she is desperately insecure. It's irrelevant.

Last edited:
Proper millionaires who have class and sense don't talk about money.

Those who brag need to feel validated and important and are usually t@ssers.

You see where am going! :D

Hi all, I'd just like to know if any of you have had a similar experience to the one that has horrified me today.

I've been running a salon for 2 years in a busy city center. I single handedly ran it alone for 7 months, and hand picked a great team, we're now successful and 3 more are being opened over the uk this year.

It's a relatively stressful job but I love it.
Today I had a very wealthy (I know this because she told me) lady who came in with her 3 children and asked me to cut her sons hair.
I obliged, and after direction from Mum 'go as short as you want' I gathered she wanted a sort of old school, side parting slick sort of job.
I started, and her eldest son who was sat behind said the back looked weird. He was about 10 and I'd clipped with a number 3 before blending. Mum checked and immediately screamed at me as it was too short and I went too high. I took her abuse for 40 minutes, and in the end I basically let her tell me how to do my job.
She kept saying things like 'this is terrible' 'he can't leave like this' 'he goes to private school and I like traditional'. Bare in mind I had nowhere finished the cut.
She told me she wasn't from my area and if this is what people from here liked then it's a joke, she doesn't do trendy, I was a joke, appalling and I should be ashamed of myself. This went on and on to the point where I was shaking and felt sick. She was aggressive to not only me but her children.
In all my years professionally and personally I have never been spoken to in the manner I did today. I tried to remain calm, in the end she said it was ok and tipped me £5 which i refused. I didn't charge her for the cut, I didn't want to, I wanted her out of my shop. I left work after that, got in my car and cried. Got home and relaid the story to my partner, and cried again.

Fast forward its 12am and I'm led in bed still feeling terrible.

Has this happened to anybody else or anything similar? I've had fussy clients, I've been spoken down to before, but that was a totally new experience and I felt belittled, embarrassed and it's really made me question my skills.
The snob shouldn't of told you to basically do want you want if she really had a picture in mind of what she wanted. Like others have said, Well done for staying professional. Just forget it and move on. She isn't worth your thoughts by the sound of it!

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't all an act and she does this kind of thing regularly to get things for free! She sounds horrible hope you are ok! Tomo is a new day and you sound really successful and have lots of other loyal customers! don't let her take any more of your time by worrying about her x

Proper millionaires who have class and sense don't talk about money.

Those who brag need to feel validated and important and are usually t@ssers.

You see where am going! :D
Oh absolutely chicko !!

Poor you, she sounds a right charmer!
Onwards and Upwards.

But I can't help feeling sorry for her kids who are stuck with her for a mum.

When you are dealing with clients like this you have to be really strong. The best thing to do in this situation would calmly explain to her the haircut is not finished, you haven't started to blend yet, if you want to stop now you can and it's fine, but you need to calm down and let me get on with my job.

Like someone said earlier you can be professional and stick up for yourself, being professional doesn't mean you have to take someone's shit!!

It's much easier said than done though!

Hope you feel better about it now x

What a cow. We've all had them and it's horrible how things like that keep you awake at night, it's the worst feeling. Hope you feel better today, just think about all your lovely clients who come back time after time, they are the ones that make it all worthwhile!

Latest posts

Back