Today's NY Times

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashew

Reaction score
New York City, NY, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, V
Great! Just what the industry needs! (Not!)

How long before a UK paper picks this up and writes an equally 'lovely' piece! We know it goes on and it goes on in every industry (look at the articles about the Far East 'sweat shops' producing the low cost clothing). Trouble is, this one not only focuses on working conditions, but also health aspects.

The UK is in the middle of dealing with this in such a way it can be enforced and this takes time. The media are more interested in bad news as it makes better 'stories'. We all know that professional services are not hazardous to health.

Yet another whole set of reasons why technicians providing nail services MUST be qualified and working under perfect conditions!

Oh my god how awful, thanks for posting this it was a really intersting read x

Not sure if this is relevant as have only had a quick look at article, but I visited NY for the first time in Feb this year and was determined to get a manicure whilst there.

I chose a salon in Times square and asked how much for a manicure......it started at $25, I said I didnt want it today and that I would rather have it later in the week ( so nails looked nice for when i got home of course!).
The owner quickly changed the price to $20 by giving me a discount card with $5 off.

When I actually went back for the manicure the place was empty & they kept trying to persuade me to have extensions, I declined but they kept on, I think they could see I was a little annoyed by this so in the end they virtually begged me stay and only charged me $8 for the manicure.....bizarre I thought at the time but it was quite obvious in the end that they were struggling for trade.

Mind you it was a little lacking in decor but the manicure I have to admit was very thorough and they did a good job considering I had hardly any nails!

Latest posts

Back