Toddler help again...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just need a little reassurance when it comes to toddlers & their eating habits.

My little boy is 22 months old & im a bit concerned about his eating! He rarely eats breakfast he used to but just recently refuses it sometimes he will eat a yoghurt, dinner times are really difficult they either consist of corn on the cob, cheese on toast or a pastie! Tea times he is always made a home cooked meal with veg, however he rarely eats the meat, but he will always eat the potato & veg! He will eat fruit so i suppose that is something, hes not underweight but as you know being a first time mum it can be really daunting!!!

Any help or advice please guys x

They all go through this. Cameron went through a phase when he wouldn't eat at all!! Only drank apple juice. It lasted about 2 months. I took him to the doc's and he said that as long as he was drinking at wasn't showing signs of actually being ill (the reason he didn't want to eat) then he was fine. Just make sure he drinks plenty as no fluid will cause him to be dehydrated.

louise said:
Hi all,

Just need a little reassurance when it comes to toddlers & their eating habits.

My little boy is 22 months old & im a bit concerned about his eating! He rarely eats breakfast he used to but just recently refuses it sometimes he will eat a yoghurt, dinner times are really difficult they either consist of corn on the cob, cheese on toast or a pastie! Tea times he is always made a home cooked meal with veg, however he rarely eats the meat, but he will always eat the potato & veg! He will eat fruit so i suppose that is something, hes not underweight but as you know being a first time mum it can be really daunting!!!

Any help or advice please guys x

Well if he's not underweight and your not feeding him ready meals, burgers and crisps - I really wouldn't worry! he'll eat when he's hungry - tell me a child that eats what's recommended every day!!

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has very similar eating habits - I worried my self sick about it that she want getting enough nutrients etc. but have come to the conclusion that as long as she is eating something and not losing weight I am happy for now. At that age chewing meat is a huge effort so that is why he is avoiding it - because it is much easier to eat softer food like veg.
Does he keep well enough? Does he look healthy? if the answer to these is yes then I would perceviere, try some new things and come time his appetitie with broaden and he will eat more variety.
When children are hungry they will eat because its sore not to - so I wouldnt worry too much
KxXx

Thanks guys, feel better already. I suppose he is just going through one of the many phases they go through eh!

Having children cor it doesnt have make you worry doesnt it!

louise said:
Thanks guys, feel better already. I suppose he is just going through one of the many phases they go through eh!

Having children cor it doesnt have make you worry doesnt it!

They are a worry - I used to think when mine where young at least when they are older they won't be so much of a worry - how wrong I was!!

Oh no is there still more to come!! Ha Ha!!!

I agree, ive got three boys and the elder two went through this phase and the 1 year old is just starting this. Its their way of making their own decisions and is important to them to have a say about what happens to them, (does that make sense?) Obviously you are the parent and you know what is good for them so keep an eye out to make sure they dont starve or dehydrate themselves. I dont believe that kids should be allowed to run wild in the cause of self expression, but this stage helps them to know that they can make some desisions and you will respect them.
One very important lesson for parents is NO CHILD WILL VOLUNTARILY STARVE THEMSELVES!!!
That said, some kids are contrary little buggers and sometimes the way to get them to eat healthy food is to say that its for mummy and daddy ONLY and its soo delish that only big people will like it.... watch them try everything under the sun to get some.lol
I got my kids eating fish by telling them that its for daddy only and next thing they were begging me for some 'before daddy comes home... awww please mum!' they downed that fish like a pair of seals.
Forbidden fruit is definatly sweeter!:twisted:

louise said:
Oh no is there still more to come!! Ha Ha!!!

No I was kidding - teenagers are a breeze! they don't speak, they just grunt when they are hungry!

Suzie.e said:
No I was kidding - teenagers are a breeze! they don't speak, they just grunt when they are hungry!

Oh great that sounds like fun, what do you do grunt back at them!!!

my daughter was the same she didnt eat meat now she is a healthy 15 year old vegetarian i wouldnt worry too much they all go through the fussy eating stage

What I can advice is dont give him junk food, let him get hungry and Im sure he will eat it his food. That's what I did to my son. Hope it helps!

both my kids were like this, my son would only eat custard or sausage, i was really worried. i took him to the doctors but he said he would be fine as long as he was eating something, not losing weight and was well in himself. this went on until he was about 8 yrs old, with only a few more things added to his diet, now he is 17 and he will try anything, i think is diet is more varied than mine now.

and my daughter, who is 13, is still the same, she eats pancakes, fries to go, chicken, yorkshire puds and a couple more. she is very hard to cater for, she wont try anything new, but i suspect she will grow out of it the same as my son did, she is just taking her time.

i'm not too worried about her because she is very healthy, and with my son going through it as well, i suppose i'm used to it.

Suzie.e said:

Lol, I'm guessing you have boys then?! - I have a girl and she never stops talking!

Latest posts

Back